My first freehand feathers and a baby quilt

I am quite pleased, overall!

I just finished an Irish Chain which I did "plainly" and then I learned about Terry's Twist, so I tried it here, and I love it! I made a pattern for the "inside curlicue" of the alternate blocks, but all feathers are based on Peggy Holt's book Peggy's Dream Feathers and done freehand. I adapted the block for the incredibly creative :D border pattern which was also done freehand.

It's no where near what the 'big girls' are doing, but I think it's pretty good for a beginner, and the inexperienced eye won't notice what we notice.

This is a "practice quilt" I'm doing for cheap, cheap, cheap, so I decided to "just do it".

post--13461901017228_thumb.jpg

This was made from the leftovers from his parents' wedding quilt. The child is four years old and it's time he got his baby quilt! I did this before I learned about Terry Twist and wish I had done it here. This batting is Hobbs 80/20 and it shows the quilting so much better than the W&N in the blue quilt above, but I can't convince the maker to change battings.

I was even able to use dark thread on the dark diamonds with a light colored backing and didn't have any problem with thread showing through. I had a terrible time on a previous quilt, which is why the blue quilt has white front and back, which I assume is because of the batting.

post--13461901018153_thumb.jpg

Ann, wow these are great! Hey as far as I'm concerned there's no delineation between big and little girls. We're all here cuz we love quilting and that's all that matters. :) You're doing awesome. We all improve and get better by trying. I'm trying not to be afraid and just go for it...I have some sort of hangup...what is it about fear with me???

PS: You cracked me up with the 'leftovers' LOL! :D

Wow Ann, I love how you feathered the Terry Twist. And yes you are a big girl now. great job with your feathers and Danny's quilt is just right. I am with shanna, I have yet to just go for it. My fear button gets pushed every time I think about it. Congratulations on stepping out. What are you going to cook with the left overs

Thanks to all for their kind words. I'm surprised that some of you "oldtimers" haven't done this out of fear. The worst thing that can happen is that the feathers won't be very good. But you may surprise myself, as I did, after only a cursory study of the construction of feathers (tear-drop/paisley-shaped, should come close to a point at the bottom so they don't look like half-hearts, and the end should be a semicircle). Knowing those three things gave me enough confidence to start.

Someone once said, "You don't have to be good to start, but you have to start to be good."

Archived