Lessons for Newbies...Don't Do What I Have Done

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it but my experiences with my customers have been great thus far(I hope I don't jinx myself by saying that!). I have one especially perfect piecer and when she brings me another quilt I squeal with delight. I still really enjoy getting to see all the quilt tops my customers bring me and making them into quilts. I was feeling a little guilty by only doing E2E and no custom, but I know from doing a little of my own custom work how time consuming it is and I would definitely go in the hole doing that for others. I do look forward to having a studio set up some day where customers can bring quilts and I can inspect them and discuss things with them more instead of having them drop them off with me at my day job and checking them out later. Maybe someday soon, I hope.

MB, I agree that the resentment builds up and eventually it is necessary to make hard and fast rules that everyone should follow. When this is your main income source, that extra time we spend doing "maintenance" cuts into quilting time/money. So either the customer fixes the boo boo or we need to charge for it.

I have recently gotten out from under a "resentful" situation--of my own making. A loyal but perpetually PITA who is actually a good friend (oxymorons anyone??!!) drops off a quilt a month. I have talked about her before. Her quilts are well made, she spends bundles on fabric--especially kits, and thinks nothing of taking hours and days to track down a fabric online if she can't find it locally--she is absolutely stuck in replicating quilts exactly as the pattern describes or the magazines lists for fabric choices. In other words--she knows how to spend money on her hobby and she has the stash to prove it.

But money on quilting--no way!!

She only wants penny-and-a-half quilting--nothing more, won't spend it, no way, no how. Her quilts deserve more. A Kaffe Fassett big quilt that she must have spent $200 on for fabric--penny and a half. Me being me, I cannot resist quilting "more' --either a border design, quilting around motifs in the fabric, block designs, whatever. I know--SUCKER!!

Well, I redid my pricing this month and have eliminated penny and a half and raised thread charges, etc. I am also taking in fewer quilts per month to avoid burn-out.

We had The Talk last week. I broke the news. She took it well. She even said that I SHOULD raise my prices. I told her I would do penny and a half quilting on occasion--baby quilts, guild quilts, etc. and she could have penny and a half but only have two pattern choices--plain meander or loops. Ugly, huh?!! She is fine--do all her quilts the same--she doesn't care. THEN she says, she knew she could get more that that penny thing out of me because I always give her more than she pays for!!! Yep--SUCKER!! Now I will see if she brings me more tops or tries to find another sucker!

I feel better though--stuck up for myself, kept it professional, explained gently, yada yada. Didn't hardly hurt at all!:P:P:P

Linda,

See, that's what I am talking about. We have to stand up for ourselves or we become the losers.

Last night I had a lengthy phone conversation with our former quilt store owner from here in my area. I told her I was working on quilter's burn out and she was shocked. After talking we decided I needed some me time since I never have time to do my own quilts and that could help. Then we talked about the money flow, since she is an accountant I thought she might have some insight. She said once my machine is paid for I won't have the worries of overhead. Then I told her that I pay personal property tax each year on equipment and she was shocked. She said that she knows for a fact none of the other quilters in this area do that, and she knows just about all of them.

I'm trying not to let that part burn me...but it still does. I'm trying to do what I thought was right, by checking into all the laws and doing everything on the up and up....and then I find out no one else is :mad:

Even though most times I find myself playing the "sucker" role, there are times I will stick up for myself and I do think the more you do it ~ the easier it gets. But what I tell myself is this....would these people who expect extra from us deal with a plumber or mechanic the same way? I think the more we stick to our guns, the more respect we will earn as professionals. Now...to practice what I preach!:o

Mary Beth;

I am scratching my head, you said you are paying property tax on your Millie? That confuses me because unless you bought your machine wholesale (which I know I didn't) then your state is taxing you twice on the equiptment. Once when you purchased it on the sales tax and then each year you own it and use it as business...Do you get to depreciate the value of your Millie on your taxes each year? We can here in AZ, we can depreciate the value of the equiptment used for our business over "3-5 years " depending on the size of the equiptment. This was all explained by our CPA when we went into business in 2005.

If I were you (if you ever decide to open the business again/ continue it) find a good business attorney/cpa and start asking these questions.

Because if this is how Missouri treats their small business owners it's a miracle that they have any small business at all.

What about the LQS ownner, does she pay these extra taxes & fees for her business? if not than you need to start asking some questions to those that are incharge of this stuff in your state.

In the state of Missouri, we pay personal property tax on cars, trailers, boats, motors, etc yearly. We do not pay a one time sales tax and then we are done...we pay for the rest of our lives :):(

When I opened my business, I had a CPA, she has quit now, but she helped me get everything set up. I also read posts here on this site that advised me to check with my local city, county and state for opening a business and what I needed to do. I did everything by the book.

Mary Beth

I hear you and have had the same problem. I bought my machine for me and had never planned on quilting for others....I didn't want the pressure or the fun taken out of quilting on my terms. That lasted for a few months but my friends were soon after me to quilts their tops for them. I wasn't prepared for the amount of pressure that would put on me nor did I know what to ask them for before they brought the top to me. Little things, like making sure all the threads are clipped off the back, making sure that all layers are square and that the backing and batting are big enuff, all the way around!

Then trying to get paid for the quilting was a whole other story. I have one lady that continues to pick up her finished quilts and leaves, without paying, until I have to go after her for the money. I'm finished with her now and won't be doing any more for her. You soon see the true colors of your friends. And now I have the bill attached to the quilt and it doesn't leave my hands til I'm paid for it.

Most quilters are exceptionally giving, trusting people and others will exploit this so we need to take a stand. Other's have quoted Dr Phil and I stand by that every day! <LOL>

Rita

Hello Mary Beth,

I am a very new-bee, as I started in September. After only 4 quilts, I started to take on customer quilts. The problem was that my second customer wanted a custom eventhough I told her that I only do panto, since I just started using my Millennium. I quilted in each block, did the terry twists etc, I thought it looked great! Simple and quilted from top to bottom, nothing fancy like feathers though. The customer was thrilled with the job I did! II charged her for a panto because I am a new-bee and I felt that I couldn't charge for a custom. Afterward, I was left feeling totally used up. This quilt had me down to my last nerve because I wanted to do a perfect job and it took me more than a week to complete. This took time from my family and I swore that I would never do one anytime soon. Well this didn't last long. Another customer gave me a quilt and told me to leave the borders alone, just quilt the center. As I was going along, I realized that this quilt needs nice quilting in the border. I just don't have it in me to do right now. I actully had a good cry and then all the stress of this quilt had left me. I then took it off my Millie and I say again that I will not even attempt a project that I don't feel comfortable with. I am not Superwoman! So thank-you Mary Beth in letting me know that it is O.K to tell them like it is.

Thank-you!

Hi to everyone. I'm a newbie too, and live in MO. I have talked to MB several times through email and shes given me alot of good advice, but I have to say sometimes I'm really discouraged by all these posts. I got a quilt machine because I love quilting. I love everything about it. I know all about burn out. My DH is an assistant pastor and people you know and love will use and abuse you. This also isn't my first business venture. I've done cakes for many years, but just don't get the satisfaction out of it like I do sewing. I think as a LAer you definately have to protect yourself, but I know personally that for 10 years I made quilt tops, gave them to a lady in our church who does 1 panto on everything. I didn't know any LAers and when I asked her about it she told me I couldn't afford it! I also asked her once if I could come watch her quilt. I know, GASP! (She basically said no, by the way!) What I'm getting at is that I wasn't trying to be obnoxious, or rude or take advantage of anyone. I was learning myself. I had a lady bring me a quilt this weekend. She was going to hand quilt it but decided that would take forever. She brought it to me all pinned with a million safety pins. She proudly stated it was all pinned and ready to go. The poor dear didn't realize that I will ahve to take all that out. i didn't say anything. I didn't correct her. If it happened again, I would, but she honestly didn't know. I just wanted to say that for those who quilt for themselves, thats great. But for those of us who have to quilt for others to pay for our machine, or just love to do it, thats ok too!

Also, because I'm getting a studio and opening my own business I talked to my CPA and I don't have to pay property tax. I don't have to pay sales tax like some either. She said because its labor. So, I don't know. Just my 2 cents worth.

Crystal

Deadlines!!!!! I ran away!!!! Good for you Mary Beth.

Glad that I purchased a Millennium just for fun though initially I thought I'd be doing some client work. The thought of doing quilting for hire just seemed like it would take out all the fun. No doubt I would be a better quilter if I did work for hire. I have done a few quilts for others but didn't charge anything because I intended the quilting as a gift and volunteered! Didn't charge even for the thread or batting just so that it remained volunteer work, a donation, or a gift! When people ask me, I just say that I bought the machine just like I bought my DM and want to be creative with it.

A couple of my friends send their quilts to a Sucker in OK and pay $45 including the batting for a queen size! I said that even the cost of the batting is about $30 and it takes about an hour to prep and load a quilt. How can they make any money doing it for that price? The local woman charges about $250 for a queen quilt and does beautiful work. They seem to think that the lower price is okay with them.

Glad I'm not involved with trying to make this a successful money making business. Hats off to those of you who can take the deadlines and manage your clients well, have strong backs, and high skills. I salute you!

Vicki

crystal where do you live, what state?

In AZ for small business we only have to pay tax on something that we purchased wholesale/tax exempt with the purpose of resale.

We do not have to pay tax on the service we provide which is the quilting itself. And we have to pay income tax once a year on what we made for that year of course but after all of the deductions, depreciations of my machines(long arm, 730E Bernina, computer, etc...along with being able to write off a portion of household expenses due to it being run in my home) it usually ends up being a wash. Perhaps when all of the tax write offs run out and on the books it shows that I am making a profit and have to pay income tax I might close shop and only quilt for me or I might just have to upgrade one of my machines to continue in business.;)

Crystal,

Please don't be discouraged. That is not my intent. I want this business to be a positive experience. I don't know if I am not suppose to be paying property tax or not. Since no one else does, maybe I am wrong.

As far as customers....just be firm. Get your prices and service on paper and make sure they have it in hand and understand what you do and how much you charge. Also, be willing to tell them how to do some things for themselves.

Boy, I'm sitting here reading all of this and thanking my DH for saying, "This is not going to be a business. You've done that before. This is just for you!"

I realize a lot of you need to have a business to pay for your machine..mine was my gift for his retirement since I can never really retire from all that I do at home and I've been a great wife and mother for 44 yrs . Honestly, that's what he told me.;)

As a former professional seamstress, I know what you all are talking about when it comes to customer expectations and not counting really what your time and talent is worth. People will treat you the way you let them.

I quit sewing when a customer balked at paying $120.00 for a handmade, smocked and embroidered 36 " baptism dress made of imported Swiss batiste, including french seams and a matching slip with embroidered name and date! It took me 85 hours to make and she said she saw one in a children's store for $50.00. I told her she should go buy it then because I wasn't lowering my price! When she said she would only give me $100.00 and I would have to take it because I'd already embroidered the baby's name on the gown, I said, I would rip it out and give the dress to someone who would appreciate it. That the dress was no longer available to her, thank you very much.

This women knew the price of the dress before she ordered it and asked if I would include the name and date embroidery in the price. I said I would as a favor to her as this was her first grandchild and it would likely become an heirloom. I think she never intended to pay that price and I didn't ask her to pay before I did the embroidery. All by hand.

That gown was given to a dear friend for her daughter and was used for her son as well. They have also had their children baptized in it and number 4 is due in March.

Heed the words and experience of others, newbies. You are worth it!

Marlette

Dear All: This thread is about more than mistakes we make, it's about how people treat others. Some people really value the expertise you have, they treasure it and show it to you in how they pay and their manner towards you. Many people have no idea of what it means to be a craftsman, to be really good at a useful skill, and be able to at the same time make it beautiful. What families save for future generations most often has much time and expertise worked into it. I have people I have sewn for who for the first time in their life, looked great in a formal, who understand and appreciate me. I'll almost sew for gulp! free for them. I have had others I've only sewn for once, because they had no concept of any of the above, tried to cheat me out of very low charges, and treated me like I was a servant to them, and their money. I've only ever tried to be good at what I do at a fair price. You can tell a lot about a person when you see how they treat people they employ. I try to remember the many jobs I've had where the quilt that was from 1900 got quilted and became something very special to the family, instead of being thrown away, when the baptism gowns I've made are in pictures that will be forever. My skill is rarely acknowledged for long, certainly I'm mostly invisible, but I know that some will benefit and I will know.

Ps to Marlette: I make those same baptism gowns, have seen them in NC shops for $595

Marlette;

I use to do heirloom sewing, french laces etc..love the magazine "Sew Beautiful" but not as a business just for my daughters. Smocking was great to do when they were napping and I was too tired to clean house, lol Anyways the last time I made an heirloom outfit was for my twin daughters baptisims 9 years ago. I was about 6 mos pregnant with them and knew I was carrying twin girls and wanted them done before I gave birth because I knew that after they were born I wouldn't have time to do them...to make a long story short I spent alot of hours smocking, then hunched over my sewing machine attatching yards & yards of entredeux and french laces that I ended up in preterm labor. Was hospitalized and pumped full of magnesium sulfate for 6 1/2 weeks just to postpone their births until they were old enough to survive. They still were born premature and one of them was hospitalized for an extra week in NICU but no long term effects and yes their baptisim gowns were finished the night before I was hospitalized.

It was a true labor of love :)

Archived