Lessons for Newbies...Don't Do What I Have Done

This is a lesson for all you girls and guys just starting out....or a vent....take it as you may :)

Today's customer quilt is one of the exact reasons I have quit quilting - that is, as soon as I finish the next 10 quilts :).

In October I decided taxes, licenses, etc was taking it's toll on my business. I have plenty of customers, but the length of time to straighten out the problems with the quilt vs what I was charging didn't add up. Then put the fees for running a business on top and the paperwork - Yikes..I was not making any money. So I closed my door.

In November a new customer called. I missed her call, and she found me one day at a LQS :( She insisted that she wanted me to do her quilting. She wanted the quilt for Christmas (of course). I told her I was booked - no way. "Oh, I made it for a little boy who is now 4 years old. Since I didn't get it to him when he was born, the week after Christmas would be fine." :mad:

Since I am feeling tons of resentment and burnout, I decided she would wait until I was ready. I had Christmas with my family....worked on another faithful customer's quilt. Then today I started working on hers.

First....the back was not square.

Note to newbies....tell your customer up front that you charge to square the back. Don't be afraid you will run them off - you are worth it - trust me. If they don't want to pay it, they will square it up.

Second....she sent batting that feels like the stuff you put on a chair when you upholster it, just after the cushion...like a really stiff batting. I started to load the batting and it was in two pieces. They had to be spliced together before I could load it, and there wasn't enough to do a proper splice, so I had to just butt it together and now I will do a balancing act until the quilt is quilted to try to hold it all together.

Third...when I picked it up she said "Just do a SID, that's easy." We had a heart-to-heart about that subject. "Okay, nothing really special, although I would like for you to quilt each little car seperatly and then something in the stop signs and then you can do an all over design in the background :o Hummm...this is sounding like custom...yep, I'm pretty sure that is custom :o

All of this and she squeezed herself in to the top of the list.

Now, I say all of that to say this. I am the one that caused all of these problems because I was afraid I would lose customers if I told them how it is. Don't do that!!! Trust me, you will have customers. Be professional!!!!

The end:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen....and well said....girls those of us who have burned out really crashed.... I too burned out and only do my own quilts now and as a favor to a few friends who either barter payment or feed me well. Listen to Mary Beth, learn from our mistakes and don't let it happen to you. I was so scared I was going to loose even one single customer I would work sometimes 23 hours a day to finish quilts as they were promised.... and I do mean 23 hours, ask my family how much they saw of me from September 1 to fall into my bed Christmas day after the last quilt was delivered. I didn't have Christmas with my family for 9 years....and I can't get that back.

Well said! I look at it this way: We're educating them about reality so the customers learn and understand what needs to be done when they bring a quilt to you. Probably 99% of them have no idea about types of batting, or squaring a back or putting on borders, or ensuring the blocks are all the same size so it lays nice and flat on the frame... Hey, before I started sending quilts to a longarm quilter, I never sewed my borders on the "correct way" but I think now that I am a quilter I try harder to be a better piecer! :)

Well said MB. And amen to all of the above. I have a quilt on my machine right now that I had to splice the batt together. And of course, I hadn't checked it when we went over her quilt. It took me close to an extra 45 min to piece the batt togther and she is going to get charged 1 hr of my time cause I had to stop the loading process to take care of this and then just the fact that she didn't tell me - there is no way she didn't know that I would have to piece this together. When something like this happens, it just puts a bad taste in your mouth and I can certainly see that if this happens often that you would beging to wonder if I have the word "sucker" printed on my forehead. I will talk to this lady when she comes to pick up her quilt (I have 5 more after this one from her) and just give her the option to take the batt home and splice the pieces needed for the next 5 quilts - or let her know that I will charge her 1 hr labor to do it for her. If she had warned me, I would have quoted the price for her quilts a bit higher but not the price she will pay now. Anyway, all that to say that people will take advantage of you if you let them, and I've been known to be a softy because I didn't think that they knew any better, but this lady, nice as she is, knew that this extra work was there and didn't say a thing. It's hard to approach a customer with all your WANTS in order to do a good job, but without those things starting out right, you are training your customers to take advantage of you. That doesn't mean that you can't fix something now and again for a customer, but let them know when you do. And it helps your customer become a better quilter.:cool:

Wow, I just had to square a customer quilt. If I had tried to attach the zippered leaders to the top it would never have worked.

It never occured to me to charge her for this. DUH! But... here is the stick part. This woman is 3, count them, 3 managers above me (in other words, I am a peon at work). I think I will just eat this. I need my job more than my quilting job.

Pat, I prefer to believe I am warm and kind hearted than a sucker. Although some days, I do think I should get sucker tattooed on my forehead.

oh boy is this very good advice. I have yet to have a customer quilt come to me with a squared back, I have been squaring them all and not charging and sometimes it takes forever to do that. I have had to splice batting, add some material to a back. and on and on and I am so afraid of not having any customers that I never even say anything. The cross hatch quilt took me 30 hours by the time I frogged where her seams were off, squared a back that was horribly off, and steamed d cups and she gets charged a whopping $180.

New year new rules.

Originally posted by QuiltFaerie

Pat, I prefer to believe I am warm and kind hearted than a sucker. Although some days, I do think I should get sucker tattooed on my forehead.

I think most people would term me as good hearted, fun to be with, loveable like a golden retriever, and a sweetheart. That does spell sucker to some people, and they take advantage.

This lady squeezed her way in and since I'm not planning to do this for the public any longer...she will be charges.

If you can't charge your boss the going rate....I wouldn't do the work for her. That is my lesson learned.

I was very close to burned out in 2007 when I was still doing custom, the stress of it all was not worth it and I knew that if I didn't start taking control of my business it was going to take control of me. So in 2008 I made a lot of changes, eliminating custom was very liberating, learning to reject quilts was another thing I learned to do (it wasn't easy...the stories they tell to try to get you to do the quilt are unbelievable) and don't forget the pleas from the customers to get their quilt done in their time frame vs your backlog.

Now my business is in my control not the customers (I do have a large base however and I don't worry if someone decides to go else where). I keep to my schedule currently I only do 5-6 quilts per week all ETE no seperate borders or custom in the summer I cut that number half. I have a family and I have a life to live quilting for others is just one part of my life not my entire life.

Anyways Mary Beth stated spme very valid points about the fess that go along with this business, I am fortunate to live in a state/ community that dosen't have alot of restrictions/fees associated with running a small business. I do have to pay taxes on the goods I sell that I buy wholesale but not the service I provide for quiting. Once I stopped carrying batting and backing that elimanated alot of extra paper work and profit drainage. I do have to file state & city tax forms every month but since everything I currently do falls under the nontaxable catagory it is pretty easy and then I just have to file the yearly income taxes for state & federal which DH handles.

I don't plan on doing this forever was thinking about 10 years so that would put me at another 6 if all goes right then I plan to either eliminate it all together or cut back on how many people I will quilt for at that point. DH would like me to quilt for others until I am 65 (that's another 23 years), I know for sure I won't be doing this that long ;)

Oh Mary Beth what you said is so true, when I bought my machine it was just for ME. I have a chronic back problem so wanted to eliminate crawling around the floor pinning out quilts. But word soon got around and I was being inundated with requests to quilt for others. A lady recently came to my home and dropped off 2 quilts, she wanted them sandwiched together and quilted so she would have a reversible quilt to send to her sister in Italy, and as I was still protesting that I didn't have time and didn't quilt for others she was getting in her car and driving away. The short version is one quilt was a star design and the other her version of a spider web. When I inspected the quilts the spider web would not lay flat, the webs sat like upturned plates and when I measured the quilts one was 78 x 86 inches and the other was 84 x 82 inches and did I mention that the batting was the old polyester type. One had wavy borders that had been slapped on and the other one was pieced to the edges.

When I rang her to discuss the problems her reply was "when I laid them on the bed they looked the same" and then she said the most amazing statement "just cut off what you have to". Well she got her two quilt tops back unquilted.

I have a few friends I quilt for but they are sworn to secrecy as I do not want to go into business, I just want to quilt for my own enjoyment.

So I have learned to be tough.... when I have a good day I can stand at the machine for a few hours but on a bad day, well we won't mention the bad days..

My first quilt, I took to a lovely quilter who had worked doing tailoring for a number of years before she started quilting.

Her work is lovely.

She straightened me out right from the beginning. Asked, over the phone, if I had purchased my batting. She told me of her preferences and said she sold some of these, so I bought my batting from her. Explained about squaring the quilt and etc. But she forgot to tell me about wavy borders when I had made a quilt on point and set in those pieces with bias edges. She suggested that I purchase a heavier batting and it would successfully take up the extra and it did and she made my quilt look good. But she was not shy about her expectations and I learned to pay attention. Also, did a lot more reading and researching about how to piece a quilt. Was self-taught and you all know what that means. However, I had been a garment maker before so I was a "little" fussy. This lovely lady has quit quilting because of health reasons, but she is still my resource when I need to know about constructing something properly. I now longarm quilt for myself and her help has been invaluable. Ladies and gents - do not be reluctant to tell your customers of your expections regarding the quilts you will quilt for them. We all need to learn if we want a successful outcome. We should not expect the quilter to straighten out our messes. The longarmer should be able to make a good hourly wage for their skills - not spend your time cleaning up mistakes.

Glad you shared, Mary Beth.

Marilyn

This makes me glad that I only purchased my longarm to quilt for me and my kids. I have no desire to quilt for others, too stressful. I want to play on my own quilts and make more charity quilts. Having my own LA gives me the ability to do more and save $ in the end not having to send anything out. Also, I can give something more creative than I could do on my DSM.

I have a full time business already...MY quilting time is just that...MINE!

Thanks for sharing Mary Beth. Now go and have fun quilting for YOU!

Thanks for all of the good advice ladies...so far I haven't had that many badly pieced quilts to deal with or maybe I have just been lucky and they turned out ok or maybe they people didn't notice if they weren't square because they weren't pieced square to begin with...? I am enjoying just quilting along and learning from each quilt that I work on, I do not let people push me into deadlines and have turned down those last minute christmas quilts, took 3 weeks off at Christmas,(I've only been quilting since May) and am determined to keep enjoying what I am doing as I like it so much better than working in an office doing bookkeeping. So far the paperwork is not bogging me down. But I am thinking that all of the customer quilts are practice and when I get to finally do my own, I should be pretty good by then...:cool:

I appreciate all of you and all of your good advice! Have fun quilting for yourself Mary Beth, it sounds like you deserve some you time!

Vicki

Originally posted by Mary Beth

If you can't charge your boss the going rate....I wouldn't do the work for her. That is my lesson learned.

No, no, no, don't get me wrong, she gladly pays the going rate. It just never occured to me that squaring a quilt was a chargable item. She always has me apply one side of the binding to the quilt and is happy to pay for that too.

I think I will add to my quilt preparation sheet a word or two about piecing borders. We assume that people who peice and would send a quilt to a professional to be quilted would know how to avoid wavy borders, but not so. I have had really good peicers put on wavy borders. I think a nice little border lesson right on my quilt preparation sheet that I give everyone would be a good idea.

About the squaring issue, I have a charge on my price list for squaring quilt backs, but I have a hard time charging it. Give me strength. I kind of like to square them myself anyway as I know they are square that way. Maybe I should just take it off my sheet and just donate that little service. I do agree that it can take quite a bit of time though.

Oh and I had one quilter send me a pieced batting to use. It was a poly bat and she had just laid it together and seemed it. I said no to that...I was strong. I'm not going to quilt a quilt and have a big lump go through the whole thing!

I went into my business with at brochure with all of my prices spelled out. I also had a web site with everything on it. I would put the flyer in with the customer's quilt when I returned it to them. I would also tell them on the phone when new customer's called. We would go through the whole thing, even telling them how to square the back.

Where I got into trouble was when a very good, repeat customer would bring me 3 or 4 quilts at a time. I felt like I should give her a break since she was bringing this many quilts each time. Then slowly I started doing it for everyone. Before I know it I'm doing it every time and resenting it more and more. Like I said in my heading "Don't do what I have done." I know I did this myself, I should have just charged for all of my services and let that be the end of it.

Thank you all for letting me vent this. I don't want to be a whiner and believe me...I am not whining. I'm really pretty irritated at myself.

Very well said - MB is right on the mark. Years past I ran a home business - machine knits & boy did I learn a lot. No longer do that and know better with my quilting. Right now - just for me, though several have asked and so far my answer is "oh, I am so new, I don't think I am good enough". A few have seen my work and wanted to buy/hire, (so I guess I really am getting better & somewhat good enough). To that I just say that I am not ready & quote a very high price for the future (LOL). If, at some point, I do decide to quilt for others, it will be on my time and very limited. I am among the fortunate and do not need the extra money at this point - would be nice, but don't NEED. I feel I am already saving money by doing my own quilting.

MB - you are not whining - just stating the truth and as always, educating others. It is amazing what the piecer is not aware of - I was included in that group also - just lucky that Hester (my LA gal) always said my quilts were in good order when she got them and never had to worry. Now, I know what she was talking about!!

I know my situation is unusual but. . . my customers are always worried that their quilts and backs are not square enough. I have one that has chosen on a couple of occasions not to bring a quilt to me because it didn't lay flat. Of course my "customers" are my quilting buddies. They read sites like this and understand the problems that longarmers have to deal with.

Thank you Mary Beth,

I should heed your advice. Dh told me that he would rather I enjoy my Craft and not go into business, longarming for others, might kill the Fun out of this Passionate Quilter in me.

Anyways, here I am quilting for others. So far my students in quiltmaking are my customers and mostly my personal friends and some members of our guild.

Corey

Originally posted by Corey

Anyways, here I am quilting for others. So far my students in quiltmaking are my customers and mostly my personal friends and some members of our guild.

I'm not Mary Beth, but I have another word of caution, and this does not mean that it will ever happen to you, but....

I have found that its my personal friends or people who have become somewhat chummy that were my worst problems. These over my regular customers.....

The chummy or BFF's were the ones that had the most emergencies, the:

"I need a favor fast" or

you hadn't anything else to do, so you should be able to get this one done also this week......

And my all time favorite.... I'll stay and help you so you can get it done faster.....

OOOH....I almost forgot this one......"I just love having a BFF as a LA quilter...she doesn't charge me for my quilting". (when I heard that one...the quilt I had in my shop suddenly fell to the bottom of my pile and stayed there for almost 3 years before I did it... I figured if I wasn't going to get paid why should I bust my hinny to finish it fast for Christmas. She gave it to me 4 days before Christmas 2003 I finished it summer of 2007.) I don't even talk to this one anymore.

Oh Bonnie! You are so cool!!, LOL

But are also so right about the ones that become chummy to you, I have a few of those...they think that they can get a little extra from you and when you explain to them I don't do that as part of my business they say "oh you can do it for me and I won't tell anyone ;)" You got to stay firm with these customers/friends the most other wise you will end up resenting them as much as the business.

Here's my latest customer "HUH?" story it happened today.

A lady comes by to drop off a quilt she made the appointment over a week ago. Her quilt top was rumpled (is that a word?) and her quilt back was prewashed, not pressed, not squared and the strings hanging off the ragged edges. Her batting was 2 1/2 times larger than she needed (she must of bought a large piece from a roll and has been cutting bits and pieces from it because there were jagged cut outs from both ends. Anyways she had a request....get this in her park area they do have a club house that the quilters could go to cut their larger backings/ backings etc.. how ever she told me when she came for her appointment that she brought her scissors with her and that she wanted to "spread out" in my house and cut the batting to the size I needed! :o I informed her that "I do not allow my customers to spread out anywhere in my house" that this was something that she should have done before she came etc...LOL you should have seen the look on her face when I refused her request....for petes sakes this is my home, I don't allow my customers to roam freely in my home let alone spread out in it ;)

Archived