NQR - Quit Smoking

Hello Sandra. I'm so sorry your family and brother are facing this sad situation. I lost an older brother almost one year ago now to cancer of the lungs. thankfully he was never hospitalized, suffered little pain, but lost his battle seven months after the horrible diagnosis. He smoked and chewed for years and was only 64. Life is hard especially when we have deadly habits. My prayers go out to Donnie and you and the extended family. God bless you during this time.

Bobbie

Things we do are a choice, but along with that choice there may come the addiction. I smoked for 40 years quit for 4 and just quit again since August. I will always have an addiction which is why I can never light up again. The truth, I wasn't worried about the health issue as much as the waste of money, but I'm glad I found the will to stop. My prayers to anyone who suffers from any form of cancer, whether self inflicted or not. The time is now to find a cure.

So well said PattyJo....I to was one who started smoking about age 24 and quite somewhere around age 33 and I was smoking 3-4 packs aday....couldn't breath, please don't have asked me to climb a flight of stairs and please heaven forbid if you asked me to go for a walk.

I laugh now, but then it was permited to smoke at your desk and with 3-4 of ALL smoking and we had to keep the door closed and no vents...people who came in would say they would fling the door open let the smoke out and then come into our office. I'm surprised that any of us made it out of that office.

I bow to you Patty, and Sandra for having the guts to point this out...its not easy to point out faults...but when you do love someone its that much more important.

I think that if people have a really hard time quitting for themselves, they should think of the one that will be left behind.

Since my experience with breast cancer I am getting very adamant about people not smoking around me. Some people think I am rude -- some people wish they had the guts to tell people to leave the area or put out the butt.

I am so praying that the final test results will show some type of cancer that is not related to smoking but the chances of that are low.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and hugs. I pray for all of us daily.

Love you all,

Sandra

Sandra,

Don't you feel badly about not wanting people smoking around you! I don't either after my lung problems. I was never that upset by it before not that I cared for smoking but after 12 collapses that sure changed my tune. I won't walk anywhere near anybody that smokes. I'm so thrilled that you can't smoke in restuarants in NY! Yeah for those laws! I had forgotten that that wasn't the rule all over when we went to NC to see my son. I looked at the gal like she had 4 heads when she asked us if we wanted smoking or non-smoking! I wish they would make that a national law. I know there are a lot of smokers out there but their habit is hurting others. My father smoked so I breathed it as a kid. One of the main reasons I didn't see him before he died was because he was a chain smoker and my lung was collapsing every couple of months. I just couldn't handle the smoke.

I wish we knew all of this years ago when cigarettes were so popular! I know my dad started because he got them in his military meals. Just sad that it kills people. My husbands aunt died of lung cancer and she only smoked 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. My MIL quit after 50 years of smoking and hasn't smoked in 8 years. I tell her all the time how proud of her I am!

Read all this with much sadness. Love and prayers to the entire family. I live in a state where a lot still smoke. Raised my children not to smoke, but still 2 chose to. Thank heaven both have quit ( I pray permanently) due to the love of their soon to be spouse and significant other. Love made them quit, not all my warnings, nagging , etc. ? My father in law, a great guy in many ways, drank heavily for 30 years, smoked 4+ packs a day for 40 years, and chewed for 5 or so more, and was an insulator working with asbestos every day for 40 years. He gave up all of it when our first child was born, and is still alive and doing really well(knock on wood) at 83. We love him all the more for the choice and work he does everyday as he still attends meetings. Another dear friend died before she was 45 of lung cancer, she had never smoked, and never had second hand smoke in her life. But there it was. Love the person, hate the addiction, we are all human, and fragile.Handle with prayer.

Sandra, you and Donnie are in my prayers along with the rest of your family. I see a blessing in that you have the chance to say goodbye to your brother. When my brother died at age 40, it was sudden, unexpected and very shocking for the whole family. Be thankful in these last months you will be able to spend with Donnie and enjoy your time together as best you can. Take care of yourself.

My husband quit smoking (again) 2 years ago January 6th. He had broken his hand and was going to be off work 8 weeks recuperating. He was hoping the break in his routine would help this time. Of course we also used the nicotine patches because I know what a bear he had been in previous efforts to quit. He decided he didn't want to miss out on watching our grandkids grow up. Also he feels so much better now.

So sorry to hear about your brother. Our continuing prayers are with you and your family.

Thanks for the kick to replace my hands free headset (wired) I've been meaning to but...

I know no excuses these silly little things are important. It's funny how even knowing what we should do and why, we don't.

Some days I wonder if humans are trying to wipe themselves out.

Thank you for the reminder.

Sandra, I hope you will get as good an outcome as possible.

Ferret

Archived