clear thread

Try this site, Colleen--it is under Madeira thread and then Monofil.

www.columbiariverquilting.com

I just used the Monolon and like it better than the Monopoly. It seems even finer--hard to see when you use it, but also hard to see on the quilt.

I just ordered it too. I like the monopoly and it quilts beautifully but I don't want that much shine. I hope this is as easy to use. I ended up opting for the big cone because by the time I calculated out the cost of an equal number of spools I would have spent just as much and gotten a whole lot less! I'm planning on using it on my guilds raffle quilt.

SheriB - I had never heard that. Oh, I wish I knew that a couple weeks ago. I was using MonoPoly top and bobbin and it kept breaking. It was very frustrating.

That was when I ordered my Monolon, which is a 15,000 yd cone, vice the 2,400 yd spool that my MonoPoly is on. It comes with a net around the cone. It does not appear as shiny as Monopoly but just as hard to see. It also cost $29.50 from Columbia River. MonoPoly was $8.00.

I thik that I would use the clear stuff on all of my SID if it was easier to handle. My MonoPoly curled like a pigtail. I swear it felt like fishing line. And when it kept breaking, I just wanted to toss it.

Sherri, thank you for the tip about the bobbin.;)

Originally posted by April W

How does it help to only wind the bottom part way with the clear thread?

Well I know if you wind a plastic bobbin totally full it will and can make the bobbin explode and break...I actually had one shoot across the room, and it wasn't thank god yet in the machine....I just wound it and it was laying on the table...flew like you wouldn't believe.

On the metal bobbins I at least found that when I fill them totally full the thread seems to stretch more...also don't wind it with a tubo winder....it totally messes up things...stretches and some of the brands get hot...

That's been my experience with that.

I wind my clear monofilament thread on my bernina sewing machine bobbin winder so it's not wound too tight. I wind it fully and I have not had problems at all.

I don't use my stand-alone winder for monofilament thread bobbin winding. It winds too fast and tight and I am afraid it will pull / stretch the monofilament thread and cause it to go out of shape. My Bernia bobbin winder doesn't have too tight of tension and doesn't stretch the monofilament thread.

Archived