what to do? (it's done now!)

dorothy- let me know when. all your fur family is welcome also. i always wondered why there was no such thing as an apprentice long armer.....i'd love one, "Here load this quilt and make the bobbins, i'll be back in an hour."

serious tho- my studio is always open to those with an eagerness to learn. To me knowledge is like money- can't take it with you when you go. *shrug*

i've been piecing seriously for about 12 years now. (wow i feel immedialety old) i was raised by my grandparents and my granny taught me how. ( i remember when rotary cutters were invented. Yay!, no more cereal box templates!) i've been LAing now for almost 5 years. it's a long story- but i kindda fell into it. i worked at a LQS that had one, was put in charge of it, then made the leap and got my own- and now here i am.

no date on a wedding. i joke that it took him 6 years to propose, so i'm making him wait 6 before i walk down the aisle. the funny thing is when we told people we were engaged everyone was like, "We thought you two were already married."

robin- i can sum it on a post-it note :)

Trust your gut, Turn the machine on, and Go for it.

(and i'll tell you a secret: the flowers in the yellow- that idea came when i was almost done with the quilt. I wanted to do something feathery-but it did 'fit/look right' so i waited and my subconscious figured it out. Gotta love the voices in your head. I let them figure out the hard stuff :)

if you look at the quilt as a whole, the quilting designs are very simple. It's the way they were used which makes it look 'complicated'. if you were brought this pieced top, and a picture of my quilted top to copy, you'd be able to do it. I used 2 fillers- traditional meander and my 'doodlebug' meander (mctav variation) ( i still giggle at the name) then i CCed the dark green and medium green per the suggestions when i posted. and the blocks were of a flower persuasion, so if i thought it looked like a leaf- i quilted a leaf. if it looked petal-ly i quilted a petal.

see, it's like knowing how a magic trick is done- it's not so amazing anymore.

sorry i typed for so long. Barney is staring at me sending subliminal messages * throw a tennis ball*throw a tennis ball*

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, might be tough (not to mention expensive) to get the entire fur family there since 5 of the 7 weigh in excess of 800 lbs. Plus, they're not housebroken;)

I think Pam Clarke sort of has the apprentice thing going in her shop. Apparently she has several machines going at once with people loading quilts for her and then she just bops from machine to machine, quilting them. Not a bad set up.

Sounds like you got lucky. My grandma crocheted, no quilting. And my mom did tri-chem (I used to call it advanced color crayons). No quilting until a friend showed me how about 5 years ago--I was instantly hooked. Its the perfect compliment to my horse passion--I can quilt while they're eating and after riding and while riding, I can admire the colors of nature and plan more quilts. Its a lovely circle!!

Do you LA full time? That's my ultimate goal, but for now the other job comes in handy. Those fur balls can eat:P:P

If I ever do make it to GA, watch out....I'm looking you up!

Bonnie and Shannon==trichem is also a word I haven't heard for years. I had a dear friend, many years my senior, who weekly met with a circle of ladies to do that painting. I have a couple of pieces, one a tied quilt, and one a tablecloth, she gave me. Oh, the colors are neon! :cool: pink, yellow, green, I'll see if I can dig them out some day.

Shannon, the fur kid we had before our last, was a dalmatian/blue heeler mix who lived to almost 14 years. She had those fatty cysts all over her body by the time she passed away. We never had them removed. She lost her sight and hearing the older she became, and finally got to the point she just never came out of her doghouse. It was so sad. :( I would encourage you to not do the surgery--it's expensive and not necessary. She was never in any pain from them.

Love those critters. . .

Yes, Bonnie & Bekah, my mom loved her Tri-Chem. She was a paraplegic when she discovered it and it kept her busy. I used to have a painting she did of a snow leopard with the Tri-chem. This was in the early 80s...I haven't heard of anyone doing it since.

Archived