Blocking a quilt that already has binding?

Question: If you need to re-block (re-wash, re-stretch and lay flat again) a quilt---one that has already been blocked in the past and binding is already on----how do you do this? I normally block my quilts before I put the binding on. But now if I have to do it again, there are big pokie holes where the pins (used to block) are in the area near the binding. This doesn't look right to me.

How do you avoid these pin holes? Maybe there is a different technique? Smaller pins???

Shana, that happened to me a couple years ago on a fabric challenge for MQS. The judges didn't like the holes that were left from my basting. I had washed and blocked that quilt and knew there were holes, but didn't know it was that critical. I tried to spray with water, tease the fibers back with my fingernail, with a brush, and agonized over it until I gave up and just sent it anyway. Since, I have washed that quilt and love the wrinkly look, and the holes have since disappeared. It was one of those small 32x32 inch projects. I don't know what size you're talking about, but I'd hesitate to wash a large quilt before a show. I'm looking for more expert advice too.

Thanks, Bonnie. I also look for more feedback from others here.

I also have a problem with a quilt that I made where I did circles and then frogged it because I didn't like it. I blocked the quilt but you can still see a hint where the old stitching (circles) used to be. Maybe I need to rub those fibers and hope that the little traces of holes go away.

Shana, wash or dampen the quilt in warm water. Warm water will relax the cotton and make it more malleable. Place a sheet or towels down on a carpeted area. Place the quilt on top of the sheet. Starting from the center, find the first sashing area or "square" in the quilt. Using that small area, square each corner and pin it down to the carpet. Then make sure the fabric between each corner is straight. Move outward to the next area and square each corner and pin it down until the entire quit is pinned and squared. I pin at every sashing even if the sashing is only a couple of inches. Let it dry. I often put fans on it and leave it at least overnight. Even though you have binding on, the quilt will "square-up." If it is a large quilt my DH has to help to get it right. Hope this helps. I wash and square all my quilts.

Ok, I must be the odd one. I always put my binding on before blocking. And I can usually get it to lay flat and straight just by patting it into submission. I pin it to my carpet and then let it dry. But, that said, I have never done one for show, but only for myself.

If you wash first, then when do you trim the excess backing and batting? Do you block first then trim? I trim the excess first with my large square ruler and the sides with my long ruler, bind it, wash it, and then block it. Works for me but then again, I am open to learning a new way. Never thought of doing the blocking first.

Shana hurry up and find out the answer will you?! I have to reblock the wedding quilt after I get the binding done. I used the glue method and the binding is stiffer than the rest of the quilt and I'd rather it all be washed and soft. I was thinking I would pin to the carpet and use smaller pins and put the pins where the binding attaches. I'm wondering if that will give me problems!

Karen McT shows how to do wash and block in "Quilting for Show" without the binding...as she washes out blue marker etc

I have seen someone use T-pins??

I have pinned a bound quilt to the carpet if big and to the wall if small to get it to hang nicely - just poke flower head pins in

One was huge and damp from the low heat tumble dryer then it got pinned to the carpet until dry - summer.

BUT this is out in the workshop where the carpet is clean and it doesn't bother me to wet it!

Another one was very wavy so it got pinned to the wall and sprayed with water mist until stetched into position! This time I used a gadget with a spring inside that pushes pins into walls - I had it from when I put artwork up at school

I will add that these quilts for shows are usually closely quilted on Hobbs Polydown so won't pucker up like cotton bats... and I don't think I pinned into the binding but just inside on the quilt.

Hi Shana,

Here is a link on Wetblock. Scroll down part way for the tutorial on a Quilt.

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/blocking.htm

I have wet blocked with a king size sheet on carpet or out on my wood deck. Sprayed the whole quilt with a sprayer on the hose in the summer out on the deck. Squared and pinned with heavy T Pins. Placed another king size sheet on top and let it dry for at least 24 hours or more if possible.

It works! Bound or un-bound.

Archived