Essential Gadgets & Tools

I'm a newbie, awaiting the assembly of my previosly loved, factory certified Millie. My DH was going to help me put her together today, however our DS called and before I knew it my DH and DS are off to cut wood today :( . Be that as it may, I am looking for some insight on which tools y'all would consider essential. I purchased the large Hartley base expander with my machine, but that is all and I know I will need more tools than that to get started. I can get started on ordering "essential tools" while the boys cut wood.

Kim R.

IF you can start with Bonnie's starch and steam, that will be a blessing if you do this for a business. Buy Superior threads to start with, call and ask them what their bissest sellers are and that willl give you a heads up. Get their thread cards for reference.

The very, very best thing that you can do is to play with your machine and that means thread, different heights and types of battings and backings. That's the very very best. You can , if you must order, order some whole cloth quitls to practice on, or you can get the panel lengths of fabric and practice stitching around the motif's.

It's hard not to want to have all the toys at first. Make sure your lighting is more than adequate, that is a big deal in how your work turns out. Sometimes the boring stuff is what makes the biggest difference. REmember, ppp.

Besides thread, fabric, batting I would say the best tool you can invest in are zippers! I love mine. I got 2 sets so I can work 2 projects at one time or prep one while the other is in progress. I wouldn't buy a lot of rulers at the moment. Work with the two that come with the base and see how much you do ruler work. The one ruler that I do use all the time is the Dainty Ditcher. I really like it a lot. You need a nice pair of curved sissors for trimming threads. I like the spring action ones. If you didn't get any pantos with your machine you might want to buy a couple. That would be a good place to start.

my best investment was an air compressor. you won't need a huge tank, but with what i was paying for canned air, it paid for itself in 3 months. ( i have a 100 max p.s.i. i got it at walmart and Davis modified the hose with a better tip) another thing i couldn't live without is my magnectic mechanic dishes for pins. i have t-pins in one and straight pins in the other. curtain rods, the cheap kind that have the bends at the two ends. i use them to counter the weight of the clamps. don't forget about a dry erase board and markers for PPP. i also find a 0.50mm crocket hook is very handy for removing vericose threads. (clover makes a nice one- size #14 is their .50mm) hmm, i'm thinking....i second the curved scissors, i found a nice pair at my local embrodiery supply store. the tip is curved as well as the handles, and they are VERY sharp. plus the tips of the scissors are blunt, no accidently cutting a quilt. i only use chalk to mark a quilt with, so a Mr. Clean magic eraser removes the marks with no problem (use it dry, not wet)

i think that's all the stuff i use that i touch everyday while quilting. Congrats and welcome to the family!

I know that all of us have to rip out stitching once in awhile, so make sure you have a good ripper. I use Fonz & Porters brand with the rubberized bigger handle because it doesn't make my hand cramp up and the rubber end helps get the threads out when you rub it across the fabric. Also, I have a pair of long tweezers with curved tips that can pick up a single stitch of very fine bottom line thread. I also have an air compressor. My little one that I bought at Walmart was a bust, it lasted only about 4 months, so I re-purposed the one my DH had in the garage and it is much better. You do get what you pay for. I agree with all the posts above, PPP is the biggest and best thing that you can do. If you can, buy panels that are on the clearance shelves at the LQS and stitch around the designs. Great practice and then you can finish them and give them away to the local nursing homes, or pregnancy resource centers.

I think that if you buy threads and panels, you will be set for awhile. Then as you gain experience, you will know what you need instead of trying to anticipate that you need something. I still have stuff I've purchased that I've never used!!! OUCH that hurts the pocket book and it takes up storage room, so thread & panels for now would be my 2 cents worth of advice.

Here's info I used from this forum to help me get started. Hope this helps.

Directions for Bonnie's Steam Method http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=11927

(I purchase Mary Ellen's Best Press by the gallon http://www.maryellenproducts.com/shop/home.php?xid=ce399eb1b4138c8d191839050ed166e5):

What Newbie Needs discussion: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=15091&page=1#pid161745

I got the Grip Light Clamps due to recommendation from this forum - love 'em. http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Online%20Shopping/Longarm-Midarm%20Accessories.php

Superior threads: http://www.superiorthreads.com/

A good SID ruler and a good over-all ruler. There are a lot of recommendations for rulers on the forum.

I like "The Key" and "Itty Bitty" from Off the Edge. http://store.offtheedgequilting.com/ruandgu.html

Discussion on stencils: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=12078

First, is your machine coming from APQS? And did you get the package of "stuff" they send with the new machines? Like thread, easy pantos, pre-wound bobbins? If you are getting these things....stop!! You don't really need to start buying right away until you try out your machine, PPP, learn to get the feel of the machine. Keep reading the posts here. If you think of something, do a search or just ask the question, we will either direct you to the post or we will start a new discussion, we are prone to talk ;) don't be afraid to ask question, there is probably someone out there wondering the same thing.

Once you are using your machine and think you have the square circles mastered...then start thinking about other tools. Just take it slow....;)

I like my 'itty bitty' ruler and also my Judicators, small and medium size. Then there are the arcs, and circles, and Sew Clear funky weird ruler that I use alot (all kinds of shapes on it). They even come in handy on pantos when you have to frog just a piece and then want to stitch without going to the back of your machine. AND, don't forget those wonderful DVDs that you can play as you PPP and it's like going to class all over again.

hmmmm, just started making my MQX shopping list....

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I did get my machine from APQS so I have all the goodies they include. I have a bolt of muslin, a couple of pannels and batting too. Based on what I have learned here from my wise new friends I think I will hold off on any more tools,go with what I have for now, PPP, keep reading and learning here.

Kim,

Honestly, I think that is the best choice. You can talk to 10 people and find 10 different rulers they like and you won't like any of them. Once you get use to your machine - and there is a "getting acquainted period" - then you will find yourself wanting to do more and try things. In the mean time, PPP, and join us in our chats. You will learn so, so much.

1. Zipper System

2. Air compressor

3. Myrna's dvd on Hartley fence if you are getting one.

4. For Freehand design ideas I really enjoyed the ones from Nicole Webb as a beginner.

5. For Pantos Darlene Epp had a Powerpoint on lining them up and using them effectively. Check with her. Don't see it on her site anymore.

6. Take as much training as you can afford to. It will help you alot.

7. Practice practice practice......

8. You tube and the web has so much FREE info on Quilting techniques and tips. Print it when you find it and keep it in a book for yourself. The time will come when you will have your brain full and won't need it anymore. You will develope your own way of doing things.

9. Use quality threads and materials and your joy of quilting will never leave you.

Best wishes to you

Grammie Tammie

Mary Beth is correct!!!!!!!!!!

Don't spend too much money yet. Learn your machine, talk to the experts on this chat and PPP.

I have Myrna's "Just do it" DVD and it is great. Set up your laptop or TV so you can quilt along and practice as you watch. Her videos are great - its like having her there right beside you.

Sharon Schambers has a lot of free stuff on her web site as well, take advantage of it.

You tube has a lot to offer as well and it is free.

Go to as many classes as you can afford, seeing instructors strut their stuff (and when they make a Boo Boo it is great for the soul as well-------- we are all human after all!).

Remember, these girls are just so friendly and knowledgable... they will be one of your greatest resources.

Regards,

Congratulations on your new machine!:)

I think the things I use and love the most are

TOWA tension gauge.

Small snips I keep on a lanyard around my neck.

Very small shop vacuum I attached under my frame. I don't blow out my machine bobbin area as there are two thin slits on either side of the bobbin race and I feel like I would be blowing all the lint back into the machine. I got my small shop vac at Target in the automotive dept. I also use it to clean up, under and around the frame too.:)

1" natural bristle paint brush for cleaning lint while I run the vacuum. Get these cheap at the paint store.

Aluminum bobbins if you go that route. I wind all my own bobbins.

K-Kraft bobbin winder if you don't get one with your new machine.

Zoom machine oil with the long telescoping thin spout.

Big drawing pad or dry erase board for practicing quilting designs.

I think that's about it for now...you will buy tons of stuff after you get acquainted with your machine. Just do it slowly or you will buy stuff you never use---or need. :( I have some of those impluse purchases too! :D

Archived