Mary Beth, your volcano decided to erupt this morning...

Mary Beth,

Have you been to Hawaii (the big Island)? One of the volcanos on it has been erupting for years. Quite cool to see the lava flow into the ocean. Also did you see the pictures of the one erupting underwater last week. Too cool. Oh and seeing Diamond Head on Oahu was enough for me to realize that while they are really cool, I don't want to me anywhere near one when it actually decides to blow it's top....

Good point on the "redoubt" name...

Hey, if you are so inclined, here is a link to some fascinating photos of this volcano. Mary Beth,,, it's almost as though you are walking on it but you aren't! :P

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/volcanoes/volcact.php?volcname=Redoubt&page=images&eruptionid=610

Top vent in the Redoubt summit crater. Yes, that is a glacier you see there in front of the steam where the volcano is erupting. Fire and Ice for sure!

post--13461901432046_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Phyllis

I have a brother and sister-in-law in Chugiak. I think that they are far enough away that they won't be bothered. At least I hope so.:o

Right now the ash plume is heading northeast. If the wind shifts further east, it will hit Anchorage and Chugiak (which is only 10 miles north east) and a suburb of Anchorage.

Guest Linda S

Hey! It's good to know there are other volcano buffs on this board. I've been monitoring Redoubt for some time with Kimmy Brunner. It decided to erupt on her birthday. Redoubt is just a tad to the north of MT. STELLER! ;) A volcano that hasn't erupted for some time. I'm probably more volcanic than it is.

Linda

LOL Linda Steller re: Mt. Steller the volcano! :P Yes, all along that region near Redoubt there are many many volcanos that string way out into the Aleutians.

Hey! So...really...Is this Kimmy Brunner's birthday? She's such a sweetie. I'll have to give her a Shout Out and say Happy B-day, KIMMY!!

Sandy, guess what? Andre, (DH) is down in Oklahoma City going to school (FAA training) this past week and had planned to fly home on Wednesday this week... well, chances are he'll be stranded down in OKC for a while. Can't get home! Flights are canceled.

Guest Linda S

I think her birthday was actually Saturday (International Quilting Day!). I didn't remember to wish her a happy till yesterday.

And yes, there really is a Mt. Steller. My great, great, great, great, great . . . uncle was Georg Wilhelm Steller -- first European to set foot in Alaska. He sailed with Vitus Bering as ship's naturalist and doctor.

Linda

Archived