THREAD TO USE?

Lee Ann,

You should be able to get any thread to work if it is adjusted right. What particular problems are you having. Did you read Dawn's most recent thread article? My favorites are SoFine top & bottom or SoFine top bottomline bottom. I really can use almost any thread though, I just need to make adjustments. I have a milli but they should all stitch with the same threads. Give us some symptoms and maybe somebody can help.

What I've found from my own experience and from reading this board, is that each machine has it's own "favorite" combination. My machine prefers Bottom Line in both the top and the bobbin. I can convince her to work with other combinations but it takes a little tweeking.

THREAD WOES

I have had the Lenni now for about a year and a half. During that time, I have been busy quilting "quilts" to practice on...this is so because everything that I have quilted to date has been of such poor quality that I prefer to send out my "good" work to the girls that have done my work for years. My work has been riddled with tension problems from Hell. The work is stop and go. The machine may work for a row or two than for whatever reason the thread begins to break and then it never stops. I am trying trying trying not to give up. I have taken lessons from Mryna and just finished two days of classes with Linda McCuen. But the frustration of stop/go on my machine is mind boggling. I got the turbo bobbin winder thinking that was a major factor in my difficulties...now Dawn tells me my wheels may be out of allignment (machine is very difficult to move) and the rails need to be sanded once again...the adjustments never end and yet the machine still doesn't sew from line 1 to line 2 without praying 10 Hail Marys. Now, from reading other blogs, I am wondering if I am not using Lenni sanctioned thread...I have read that many Milleniums prefer certain combinations. ??

Lee Ann,

Work with Amy & Dawn they are great and want you to get stitching. Your machine should glide very smoothly. If it isn't then that can cause tension issues. Having the quilt sandwich wrong will make a difference too. Do you have a rep close by that can come help you? I'm sorry you sound so frustrated and I can't say I'd blame you for feeling that way! Really you need to get down to the problem, which sounds to me it might be the set-up. The gals at APQS really want us to be happy so give them a call and work through it. I've even taken pictures and emailed them and they can see what might be off from there! Don't give up your Lenni will stitch beautifully you just need to figure out what the problem is. Give the girls a call! I'm not sure where you are located but I'm sure if you let us know we can probably recommend a few people that might be able to come help you with the set-up and getting it running smoothly!

Heidi: I am located in Atlanta, GA. We do not have a rep here. There is an experienced APQS quilter nearby who has agreed to come over as a paid consultant to diagnose the Lenni. I do not know what else to do. This is the first time that I have reached out for help, it should never ever take two weeks to quilt a 50 inch baby quilt! It is heartwarming that y'll have been so supportive!

Oh Lee Ann there has to be somebody near you. Let us know if the nearby gal can't help. I'm sure somebody near you will chime in. My hubby's uncle lives just outside of Atlanta and he could probably fix anything! LOL. NC is just a little too far north I guess. I know Joann (yeoldforest) is up there I think near Greensboro. Maybe she knows of somebody near. You are so right it should never take that long to do a baby quilt. This forum is wonderful and everybody is always willing to help. I'm sure somebody else will have better suggestions. Please keep us up-to-date.

Hi Lee Ann,

It would be helpful to know what threads and needles you have used in the past with poor results. I personally think the tension and the needle choices are almost, if not more critical than the threads themselves.

It took me a long time to settle into using certain threads and quit playing around with threads that beckoned me at quilt show thread vendor booths or online sales or even friends telling me what was so great about a thread they were using.

I'm easily influnced when it comes to impulsive purchases of thread! Sort of like the kid in the candy shop! All those colors!

But, after awhile I just said "no"---and I have favorites now and I won't (I swear) ---buy any other threads for my machine than the ones I now use. More colors --yes, switch brands---no.

So, tell us more about your tensions on your machine, your needles ---and any threads you've tried...Do you have a TOWA bobbin tension gauge? Size 18 or 20 needles?

Most machines are calibrated at the factory (tested and set) using certain weights/plys of thread. APQS should be able to provide you with that information. It is very useful to stay with those weights and ply of threads if you can. Special quilts may need you to vary this once in awhile, but in general every day quilting....just a few brands is all you need with color ways of the thread. And that's realy easy to do now days. :)

Keep us posted....

Hi Lee Ann,

So sorry to hear about your thread troubles. It is so frustrating and depressing when the thread keeps breaking. Maybe something is actually wrong with the machine if it's never sewed right. My Milli likes most things from Superior. I also use the prewound bobbins as they have so much thread on them and it is easy to use. I have also wound my own when using King Tut thread.

Try putting a little piece of batting on the first hole that the thread comes through then put some sewers aid or thread lubricant on the batting then the thread will be passing over the little piece of battting with the lubricant. Try only going through one hole of the three holes. Make usre your needle is going the right way.

I was having really good luck on thread breakage and did about 6 quilts with no thread breakage. Needless to say I was thrilled. I changed the thread and it started breaking every 5 inches and it is so frustrating but I got help by posting here and did the suggestions they said and I'm back in business sewing.

SPARKLE

I have just placed an order for a tension gauge, two different kinds of sewing (thread) lubricants and an assortment of needle sizes. The quilt on the Lenni now was being sewn with SULKY thread and I think that was one of my issues (on top of my rails and wheels issues). I don't have the colors that I need for this quilt in the house in either SO FINE or BOTTOM LINE but I am going to place an order today with Superior.

As I said, I have never been able to get this machine to sew more than two rows in one day before I give up...and this will be after a four to five hour attempt at problem solving.

I have placed a little piece of batting in the first hole but have yet to add the sewers aid (but will when it arrives). I will rethread the 3-hole thingy yr way, I tried Dawn's way but had trouble understanding how she wove her thread through. Also, I read how some turn their needle to 6:30 or so...I will give that a try.

Thanks so much for your help and experiences!

Lee Ann,

I really think you have to get your wheel issue fixed first to be able to stitch freely. I'm sure if it is hard to move around then that is creating unnecessary jerking and pulling. I've never tried Sulky thread on my longarm and it may just be too weak. I know there are some that use embroidery thread with no problems. I stopped using Sulky for my embroidery machine too. I just had too much breakage with it.

Lee Ann;

I have a Lenni and she really likes Signature and Perma-Core because they seem to be the same weight. I sold all my other threads at a LA garage sale. I'm not going to fight thread - my customers don't care. Maybe someday I'll do something for myself and experiment with threads, but too busy now. Sure do wish you luck on finding your problems so you can quilt and enjoy the process.

Sharon

Sandra, I use Bottom Line in the bobbin with King Tut but I'm not always happy with the tension. It's not bad but I think it could be a little better. It's probably because the two threads are so far apart in thickness. But alas, I am lazy and hate to wind my own bobbins, so I use pre-wounds.

Hi Sandra,

These are the threads I use exclusively now....

All Superior threads.

LAVA

King Tut

So-Fine

I know it can be very tempting to buy different threads! I went through a phase of Ohhing-and Aaahing! I buying different threads. :)

I use So-Fine top and bobbin, and So-Fine in the bobbin with the LAVA and the King Tut.

I still have some Perma Core thread, but I'm either not using it, or will keep it for community quilts. Once it's used up, I'm not buying any other threads than the ones I mentioned above. I use the old style TOWA bobbin tension gauge and it's set at 21. Size 18 needles for LAVA and So-Fine, 20's for King Tut. Very seldom do I use invisible thread, but when I do I use Sew-Art Smoke or Clear.

I wind my own bobbins (aluminum from APQS) with a K-Kraft bobbin winder. I tried prewounds for awhile but the tension varied a lot from one prewound to the other for some reasion, and I always needed to test the tension on the TOWA, and then reset with the tiny screw a smidge up or down. I would rather just wind my own bobbins with So-Fine for a project, and then test one (usually the rest are fine after I test just one) ---and I start quilting.

I have an older APQS Ultimate II and it's not very fussy if I keep it cleaned and oiled and the needle changed frequently. :) What more could I ask for....love this machine!

My Penny Lenni seems to like Signature most, then Superior, I can get her to work with a lot of threads, but not bottom Line. she hates it and no matter how I adjust, it just doesn't work. So fine is also touchy, but can get the tensions adjusted to work well. I don't have problems with the cardboard prewounds bobbins, but she really loves the plastic prewounds, and so does the dsm.

One special thread Penny loves is the Metalics by Superior. Not a break, no tension problems.. just sews so pretty. I've tried some good quality serger thread on a couple junker quilts and it even works and looks good on Penny's quilts.

Deal with Amy if you can, really get the rails polished off, look at the wheels and make sure the black track in them is right in the middle, which means neither side is rubbing the rail.. gives a nice roll, also, makes nice round curves....

Penny also HATES the steel bobbins. I traded the steel with someone for her aluminum, which her machine didn't like.

Don't get discouraged and upset.. work slowly and steadily and you will get there.

Am curious if you have the one or two piece table. Mine is the two piece.

Good Luck all the Way,

RitaR

EUREKA!

I found a 3000 yd cone of white SO FINE at a local quilt shop this morning...rethreaded my Lenni...bobbin winder and EUREKA! the machine actually sewed! No tension problems...no thread breaks.

As a new LAQ I thought that thread labeled for machine quilting was of course compatible for the long arm machines. A year and a half later, I now know that is not necessarily so. Thanks to this forum, I've now got a thread direction to go.

Lee Ann, I am not sure on the carriage with your style table. But the axle on the carriage that works with the black one piece table is adjustible to a point. You might want to check yours. The bolts that hold the axle through the carriage can be loosened and the axle moved to center the wheels on the track. Again, this may not be true on your style, but it is worth checking into since finding the washers are causing you problems.

Archived