Yurt for Studio

My dream is a MIL "cottage" which is buildable on our property if it is 800 sf or less. One big room with a separate bathroom with a laundry sink for blocking quilts, under-counter fridge, windows overlooking the deer, batting storage, big square-up cutting table, design wall, DSM, comfy couch for naps (!), blah, blah....

Sigh...dreams.....

But yes, Shana--it would be attractive to potential buyers if it was configured as an apartment for a rental or teenager's space. (Gotta talk to Dennis now!)

We can build a 1200 sf guest house according to code; but our house house is only around 1400 sf. We've already screwed up the resale, since it only has one real bedroom and one office. But Dennis has owned this property since 1978 when there was nothing on it, so I don't imagine we'll be selling anytime soon. Plus, the person buying it would either have some sort of livestock or be a hermit!

Dennis found some bunkhouse/cabins that are around 280 sf that are completely open. I want a small kitchenette and a bath w/shower for when guests stay over (that's the reason for the shower) and the kitchenette is so that I can have coffee, etc., right there and not have to trudge back and forth to the house.

We saw one with what looked like old movie western hitching post railings on the porch. How cute would that be...a picture of a horse tied to the studio with my business name underneath....:D:D

Originally posted by DoryJM

We saw one with what looked like old movie western hitching post railings on the porch. How cute would that be...a picture of a horse tied to the studio with my business name underneath....:D:D

I believe you have some models in the corral..... and I bet some of them would even go naked for you.

You're right about the humidity, Wanda. Security, as in locks, not an issue here. We leave keys in the car and never lock the doors to the house unless we're going to be gone for several days. And, even then, you just have to push on our French doors and they open. :o

We sell little log cabins that are on skids and are great for an extra room. Here are some pics of one that is 12 x 24 fully insulated and has the electrical package. This one runs around $14,500. Of course different areas will probably be different priced, this just give you an idea.

Sorry I can't post multiple pics.

post--13461901548478_thumb.jpg

Linzi...only a person who eats pigeon pitas would want a grouse hut!!:P:P Actually, it is really cute. What's a "bothy"?

Sheryl, I love the cabins you sell and the largest one might work. We talked about it more last night and currently our master bedroom is 13 x 19 (247 sf) with a large walkin closet that is at least 6x8 and we still trip over each other. It allows for no extra storage space, no design wall, and the armoir that holds my quilting jobs is in the living room. We'd like to double the space we have now so that we'd have room for a little sitting area (for the company futon), tiny kitchenette & bath. I also want room for a large cutting table w/storage under and someplace for rolls of batting.

Its still just in the lovely fantasy stage. I'm sure that when we really start getting serious, the $$ is going to be a huge factor.:(

Originally posted by sewlinzi

I know you live in the land of the log cabin but there are some very nice small shacks and Scottish bothys in the special timber buildings section here for ideas:

www.highlandtimberbuildings.co.uk

I fancy a grouse hut with a tin roof!

The grouse hut is almost exactly what my studio looks like!

Archived