monofilament thread

I put on my scientist lab coat and safety glasses :P to do an unscientific/unofficial heat test of Monopoly and Monolon.

At the highest setting of my lowly Sunbeam iron, NEITHER thread melted. At all. I placed a length of thread on a piece of plain paper and let the iron sit for 10 seconds. Neither stretched, melted, nor changed length. The MonoPoly (thicker thread) became slightly opaque and felt rougher. The Monolon had the same feel after ironing as before--'cept it was straighter!!! Completely unofficial--just an inquiring mind. I don't want to use something that won't hold up--especially since I use clear thread a lot on kids quilts.

I will still use both kinds--just on different quilts.

Thank you Scientist Linda for that information. I never had the courage to put on that lab coat since I broke a pipette in junior high and cut my hand badly. :o

I guess melting would be ridiculous for a quilt thread, huh? Maybe that frosted look, or hardened/brittle effect is what they mean instead of melting. After many washings and maybe pressing? i.e. table runner, place mats, etc., that type of invisible thread may not hold up?

I'm glad to know that the nylon types are durable. Maybe I will try them more often.

I have this horrible memory of commercial comforters quilted with fishing line and when it breaks, you have this little hair of a thread that tickles your nose when you're trying to go to sleep under one.:P

I think I have tried every monofilament on the market. I know I have tried every brand that I have heard about. Several work fine on DSM but Millie is another story. She absolutely insists on a cone thread with almost no tension. After resisting the price tag for such a large cone of Monolon, I over-rode my conscience and ordered.

I am extremely happy with the results and so is Millie. It could be my imagination, but I think it is a little less shiny than some of the others. That's a plus for me. It also seems less stretchy than the others, also.

My first project was a queen sized custom with heavy quilting using CQ and I broke a thread once. Past experience was bad enough to make me think my machine never would be able to use mono. I love it when I finally hit the right recipe for the plan that's in my head.

I know many machines are not that fussy, but if you have one that is, you might have good luck with monolon.

I just used the Superior Mono to add texture to a large quilt for a customer that had extensive applique, (I only used it on the appliques as they were quite large) it was the monster quilt and so much fun to quilt, I will try to post a pic soon, but long story short, my customer was not sure she would like the mono on her quilt but after I returned her quilt, she said she was now a beliver in the mono thread. Success! Yeah! :)

Vicki

Tossing a newbie question out to all who have used these threads. How do you handle starts and stops? Is it better to bury the threads vs backstitching vs Cindy Roth fraychek technique? I haven't used the invisible threads yet, but know I will be very shortly. I have several spools of MonoPoly. Should I use these on my horizontal spool holder? TIA, Sally

Archived