Top thread breaking..string..foundation pieced

I need help please. I am using Bottomline thread on both top and bobbin. The top thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted tensions. Looks good, then breaks top thread after 6-10 inches.

The quilt is a string star pieced onto sheeting. Batting is Hobbs 80/20. Backing is also pieced.

I am using ivory thread and need something in the same color, but in a heavier weight I believe.

What do you recommend? Either thread choice ot something else tension wise?

I need to get this done within the next week if at all possible.

Where the string piecing is on a sheet it very well could be a poly blend sheet and that could be cutting the threads.

Bottomline even tho its a strong thread its also pretty thin and may be getting cut or torn going though all the layers that you are dealing with....pieced back, batting, sheeting, and then pieced strings....pretty thick to my liking.

If you can I would maybe try a heavier thread to see if that makes a difference.

Kristina,

How frustrating! :(

Have you tried a 20 needle? String quilts have so many layers and seams you may just need to "punch" through it all.

JFYI: I've recently been buying LAVA thread, and I'm liking it better than any thread I use. I still have my thread stash of King Tut and So-Fine, but I don't know if I will invest in more King Tut.

I rarely use Bottom Line any longer... as I like So-Fine in the bobbin, and use it on the top if I want that "finer" look. I rarely use Bottom Line anymore......

Just a few suggestions---

I am so remote, that in order to try different threads, I either have to drive 500 miles rooundtrip or wait on mailorder. No fun in this case.

However, I managred to borrow 2 spools of So Fine in a light eggshell color. So far so good. I left BL in the bobbin. Tensions look good, stitch is fine. I really don't need anything more to go wrong with this quilt. It is a friend's...for her granddaughters wedding. She will probably show it in the local 4H county fair too. Not a big showing by any means...but 100 people might see it! She wanted custom and lots of SID. I hope it turns out nicely.

The foundation is 100% cotton sheeting but the batting is probably not helping matters here either. I don't like Hobbs 80/20. Just my preference. It feels so rough.

Thanks for all the help. I will post it when it is finished.

Kristina:

It sounds like the So Fine is your solution. I agree with everything that's already been said regarding a heavier weight thread and a larger needle. Even with a 100% cotton sheet, the thread count can make it very dense to quilt through...and those string quilts have so many seams! We're all looking forward to seeing the finished product so please post it when you're finished, Nancy in Tucson

You can soften up the Hobbs 80/20 by steaming it with either your iron or a hand held steamer. They put a nasty gluey substance on it and when I steam it not only does it lay nicer it feels nicer on your hands while you quilt...give that a try. That also may be what is cutting the threads.

Kristina,

You may be able to use BL if you loosen your quilt sandwich. Also, I run BL with a really loose bobbin tension. I have used it on quilts with lots of seams. It sounds like SF is your answer now but keep the "looser quilt sandwich" in mind for later.

Sandra

Hi Kristina,

Glad you could find some So-fine in the color you need and things are working out better for you now.

Re: the Hobbs 80/20. I personally use it most of the time for bed quilts. I hear various remarks about this batting. Some negative, some positive. I think their quality control on this batt must vary as much as the batting does. :(

I don't use Hobbs 80/20 right off the roll and then put it on my quilt backing. Instead I put it in the dryer with a wet washcloth or small wet towel and let it tumble on high for 15 mins. or so. This fluffs it up, smoothes it out, and gives the quilting more definition.

So far I've been lucky and not got a bad batch of Hobbs 80/20. But, it sounds like you have.

Looking forward to pictures of your completed quilt. :)

Kristina,

I have no idea how I missed this whole thread but I did! It has been a horrible week at work so that is probably why! It sounds like you got your problem solved, which is good. Don't you love that you can post a problem and have an answer so quickly!

I'm with you on the Hobbs 80/20. I just used it on a quilt for a customer that wanted a lighter weight batting. I had a horrible time getting my tension just right. I'm using it on a QOV now and I'm getting some batting pokies. That is my biggest gripe with it. Bonnie I forgot about your recomendation of steaming it. I'm almost done with this QOV so I won't do it now. This is finally the last quilt before we leave for the wedding. We leave 3 weeks from today! Boy do I have a ton to get done!!!!!! I'm going to be very busy.

Sandra...the quilt sandwich was already loose. I never run them tight. Infact, this one is looser than most. I'm with Heidi on this one. I really wonder if the Hobbs batting isn't a good bit of my problem. So Fine seems much better. This quilt is going to be reversible when I am done. I sure hope the tensions stay good throughout the entire quilting. I keep getting underneath the quilt and frame and checking. I will post when I am finished. Will take a few days I am sure. Very slow process on this one. Thanks everybody for the help.

Archived