The Newest Member of my Family

Dory, congrats on your "new" baby. I bought one off E-bay a couple of years ago and then ditto-ed the table. Both are in really great shape. The featherweight does a beautiful stitch and is so easy to take to "sewing days" or classes. Hope you have lots of happy stitches.

Dory,

Congratulations on your new addition. I took possesion of my 4th featherweight on Wednesday. It came all the way from England. Very rarely do they come up for sale in Australia so I have to look overseas.

I then spent the day getting rid of the felt from under the throat plate, and giving her a new set of feet and a throrough oil and grease. She was a lovely Centennial from 1951. So more vintage than I am too.

April 1930's is a good site for parts as is 221parts. I bought a 1/4 foot that I am using now as I piece together the 1930's swap quilt.

You might like to check out the Yahoo group of Singer Featherweight Group and Vintage Singers they have some interesting info and happily share their info too.

I use the extension table from my Janome 6600 for my featherweights. They need a of wood to add height but slide in perfectly. My Janome is still sitting in the bag and feeling lonely. With 3 Featherweights on my sewing table and only 1 chair - one machine has to be put aside and it is the Janome's turn.

Still Looking for that elusive Tan machine - I am sure the postage from the US will be as much as the machine when I find it.

Yes I am a featherweight addict.

Lyn in Australia

Enjoy your new addition.

Wow, Lynn, you and Bonnie would get along great! So far, I'm happy with one FW, although its only been three days, so that may change:D

I'm still not clear on why anyone would need more than two machines and am not sure what I'm going to do with three (four if you count my Millenium), but I'm sure I'll figure it outl.

I have lots of machines. 12 actually including my longarm. All usable but the antique singer 99. She needs a good cleaning and base...then I will use her.

To answer the question about the 99...it definitely is not a featherweight. The featherweights are the 221 and 222's. Although there is a sister to the fw...the 201. A true workhorse. I would love to own one of those too.

Well girlfriend you need to really really start working on that....at last count I think I was at 17 or 18 and my girlfriend in Reno has promised me 8-10 more...she is selling all her antiques to me.....lucky me.

Originally posted by DoryJM

Want me to go look at her antiques for you??? I'd be happy to scope them out and steal them out from under you:P:P

No I won't tell you that she works for Brewer and more than likely gets 12 - 1 off for lunch...and lives someplace (I really don't know where she just moved) over by Rattlesnake hill..... Oh, and she will be coming to Montana in July to bring them to me so there.....:cool:;):P

Ohhh I didn't count all my machines.

I presently have 3 living with other family members.

So with the 5 including my longarm I only have 8.

Just have to keep looking for more of the Singer Featherweights, so that I can leave them to future grandchildren!

Definitely fully fledged member of MAA.

Lyn

Dory, the reason I have 3 FW'S is that I intend on giving one to each of my girls when they are old enough to appreciate them. My oldest girl is just about at that stage. My husband completely stripped one down and refinished it in fire truck red. It is really cute. The only reason he did that was because the machine was in poor shape. It was a great deal of work. I don't know if he would do it again. You can buy them repainted at quilt shows but they run about $600=$1000. I would love to have a FW 222. The difference is that the 222 has a free arm. The replacement parts and accessaries are available, including decals from Singer. I wouldn't repaint one unless it was badly chipped as one of mine was. Anyway, you will really enjoy yours. They do sew like a dream.

Virginia

Originally posted by Bonnie

No I won't tell you that she works for Brewer and more than likely gets 12 - 1 off for lunch...and lives someplace (I really don't know where she just moved) over by Rattlesnake hill..... Oh, and she will be coming to Montana in July to bring them to me so there.....:cool:;):P

Oh, but I really want to go to Brewer's and buy stuff!! You'll be back in Montana in July??? How come??

Ladies: Announcement: The first MAA meeting will be here at 3:00 p.m. today!! Remember, the first step toward breaking an addiction is admitting it:P:P

Originally posted by DoryJM

You'll be back in Montana in July??? How come??

Ladies: Announcement: The first MAA meeting will be here at 3:00 p.m. today!! Remember, the first step toward breaking an addiction is admitting it:P:P

I will take a chair at the MAA meeting if you would like....

To Montana and Washington in Jully.....Visting and family reunion. I was to go to my class reunion, but I need to be in Kirkland, WA that weekend so won't make it after all. Hope to see Linda R, and Janna while traveling...

You need many different kinds of machines. Ones that are lightweight are great to take to a class. The featherweight is perfect. The Berninas with many stitches are great because you can do invisible machine applique and buttonhole applique. Of course the Longarm makes quilting quicker and easier. There is nothing wrong with having many machines. They are like an investment. Don't feel bad about having many different machines. I have 6 including the longarm. Three of them are featherweights. I also collect small machine and toy machines. Ladies there are many other things we could be doing that would be much more self destructive.

Charlotte

Archived