Boston Commons wavey border--DONE p2

Wow Boni--you are taming that beast!! Great job!

When you load it, if you are concerned about the center staying put, maybe give it a shot of basting spray to get it to stick nicely to the batting. I don't like to use it unless I can open the door and get some ventilation going--just a thought.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quilt underneath is a bit wrinkled, but you can see how the center of the BC is flat as a pancake. Thanks to Bonnie's starch and steam method!

Thanks to you all for your help.

Now on to quilting----------oh, I'm ripping out the purple one too! Can't let that go like that!:P

Quilting won't be as exciting since it's just a meander, but I'll post anyway just for closure.;)

post--13461901909704_thumb.jpg

That's why I said I would have thought it would have gotten around the globe by now....I've been teaching that as part of my classes for well over 10 years as well....ye would have thought it would have been on everyones mind by now. I did see a couple of years ago that one of the mags were putting it into their basic directions for piecing the back portion of their mag. I think it QuiltMaker that had it.

See I knew we got along for a reason! Great minds think alike! I just heard a teacher who recommends starching everything and talked like it was her discovery. LOL I can't remember where it was though. I think I started starching my fabric back in the early 80's when I started quilting. I'm not sure whether it was just dumb luck or a happy "mistake" but I'm sure glad I do! I do prewash everything. Like Holly I've been bitten by not!

I'm a wash first and starch before cutting girl too.

I have a Pfaff also and yes, it does make a difference. I can't do the finger behind the foot trick to take up fabric because the dual feed foot (built in) still moves with each stitch when in the up position and you get your finger pinched. I do use that method when stitching on my Viking SE tho. I like i as well as my Pfaff 2140 except for the lack of the dual feed foot (IDF).

Another question? Do you then have to wash the quilt the get the starch out? or do you leave it in?

I must say for my own quilts I rarely wash the fabric anymore. Not after the Thimbleberries Village BOM way back in 2000 (I think). Wasn't going to wash all those little bits in each pack. Finally got the borders on yesterday, so at least the top is finished now.

Originally posted by Blue Wren

Just wondering from the other side of the world...what starch do you use?

Is it just one of the ones in a can or a powder that you mix?

Jenny I either buy the can of starch or mix my own. Mixing your own is very economical. I can buy starch concentrate by 1/2 gallon and mix it as stiff as I want. I always wash my quilts when I'm done with them unless it is a wallhanging. I've never had any problems with it.

Jenny, I've looked and can't find the starch that is powdered. Can we use just any powdered starch, like Cornstarch? I know I've seen Rice starch in the health food stores, would that work?

I buy StaFlo liquid starch and either use it full strength or 50/50 depending on how stiff I want it.

They are loaded and ready to start quilting tomorrow morning. I finally got them all back together and I am amazed how flat and stable they are. Starch and Steam--I'm buying Bonnie's DVD to give to my customer hoping she will apply the technique next time herself.

Final pictures tomorrow. Thanks for looking and helping!:)

post--13461901942206_thumb.jpg

Wow Boni! That certainly worked!

I bought some starch in a can & found a box of powdered starch but it says to make it onto a liquid then put your clothes in it, then wring & dry.

Hmmmm....don't think we have a liquid starch concentrate here but we have concentrate's of everything else now, so why not starch?

I found colour catchers....I can find concentrated starch!!!

This has been an amazing thread...much to learn. I, too, always wash and then use the spray starch in a can. To make it more economical, do you girls dilute the liquid and then spray that?

Boni, you did great! And the time you have spent correcting the mistakes. Your customer is definately getting a bargain...thanks for sharing so we can all learn these tricks.

AND if any of you don't have Bonnie's DVD, you need to get it. That lady KNOWS and put it together so you can LEARN.

Hummm.....I've never stached my material before I cut it.... I will try it!! How about when you are doing the stack and whack method? Will that help with that too? I have a wedding quilt that I am doing using the "Pointless Wonder" pattern with. And I have part of a quilt done, other part to be cut out. Do you think it would be ok to finish up the cutting on this quilt with using the starch? Or since I already have some squares done, should I just do it without? Thanks for all the input and help!! I learn so much on here!!! Love it~ thanks, all~

Originally posted by LindaFritchen

This has been an amazing thread...much to learn. I, too, always wash and then use the spray starch in a can. To make it more economical, do you girls dilute the liquid and then spray that?

Linda - I just put it in a spray bottle and use it just like the can. One trick is to soak it and then air dry it in the dryer. I often spray all my fabric and let it dry and then press it. It works just fine that way too.

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Hummm.....I've never stached my material before I cut it.... I will try it!! How about when you are doing the stack and whack method? Will that help with that too? I have a wedding quilt that I am doing using the "Pointless Wonder" pattern with. And I have part of a quilt done, other part to be cut out. Do you think it would be ok to finish up the cutting on this quilt with using the starch? Or since I already have some squares done, should I just do it without? Thanks for all the input and help!! I learn so much on here!!! Love it~ thanks, all~

The starch will definitely help with stack & whack. I starch anything that will have a bias edge. I should starch everything but I get lazy. The quilt I'm piecing now is made up of 60 degree triangles and diamonds. I'm even re-starching the sub assemblies as I make them.

I cut 80+ 2 7/8 in squares for a project and decided I should starch them before I cut the diagonal. I put those squares in a pan of water and gently agitated them. Laid them on a towel to drain the excess water. Put them in undiluted liquid starch, then back on a towel to drain almost dry. Steam pressed, then sewed the diagonal, cut the bias, and I have the most perfect 2 inch half square triangles you can imagine.

So, it's never too late to apply the Starch and Steam method! :D

I just used a can of Bissell spray starch since that's all I had and I liked it because the spray is much finer than the Faultless I just ran out of.

Wow they turned out wonderful. Bonnie's starch and steam method CD is sooo wonderful. I didn't have any starch around so I used extra strenght Magic Sizing and it worked too.

I always starch or size everything I cut. learned from a good friend to do that and she always has the most amazingly well pieced and flat quilt tops

I have never had such success with a potential disaster as these two quilts. Many thanks to all who encouraged me and gave such wonderful ideas, tips and tricks. I sure hope someone is collecting all these and APQS should put them in a book--much like the recipe books assembled by guilds and women's groups.

This is the end of this chapter. Thank you Bonnie Botts for the Starch and Steam DVD. It hasn't come yet but DH will pick up the mail later today. We just may have a new convert after this.

Happy Dance and tons of chocolate to celebrate!:D

post--13461901946548_thumb.jpg

Archived