NQR----boat related.

For those of us not living in the State of New York....we are getting ready to launch the 400th anniversary of the voyage of English Captain Henry Hudson... and Frenchman Samuel de Champlain. And in respect for that event I ran down to the Hudson River to see the tall boat "Half Moon". This is a replica of the original boat made to spec according to all I have talked to. This is the boat that Captain Hudson had when he discovered the River while looking for a water way to go further inland.

Thought maybe you would like to see a picture of her.

She will dock in Castleton tonight an on to Albany tomorrow for the final party and kick off of the 400th celebrations.

post--13461901958763_thumb.jpg

Ahh come on..... you can't see the Evinrude... it is actually rigged with a diesel engine for days where they have no wind..and today at 2pm the tide was actually going out so this is the only way they could have made it up stream today.

You might need a pretty sturdy pole to fish off the back, but you can get some might big fish out of the Hudson... We had a Whale come upstream last year to about where I live.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Beautiful ship. Can you imagine sailing around in that? What a blast it would be.

I know if I had known about it earlier I could have signed on as a crew member and gone from NYC to Albany...I think that would have been a blast.

Bonnie, wow, that would have been quite an event to be a sailor on that ship! Maybe next year???? Do they do this annually?

Originally posted by lym95

Where's the Evinrude?? I don't see the trolling motor either... I'm not sure that's all that handy to fish out of :P

mrmargie

LOL! Maybe not too handy to fish out of... but Well, I'm sure that "back in the day" they surely had a large net dangling off the stern most of the time, and a few fishing poles hanging off the sides, too. :cool:

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Bonnie, wow, that would have been quite an event to be a sailor on that ship! Maybe next year???? Do they do this annually?

Originally posted by lym95

Where's the Evinrude?? I don't see the trolling motor either... I'm not sure that's all that handy to fish out of :P

mrmargie

LOL! Maybe not too handy to fish out of... but Well, I'm sure that "back in the day" they surely had a large net dangling off the stern most of the time, and a few fishing poles hanging off the sides, too. :cool:

They won't have the extended celebrations next year but they do have it go and down the Hudson a couple of times per year, but it mostly lives on the Ocean and sails from Maine to New Jersey....Wouldn't that be a blast to sail the Ocen Blue. They do day trips and then they sail and dock and little kids get to crawl all over her for Show and Tell and see that History... Today they weren't dressed in period clothing, but I hear they do on the normal season.

Bonnie, thanks for the pict.. It amazes me that a vessal that small can house that many crewmen and they not strangle each other... as for fishing... I think it would be great mrmargie, but I'd drop the hook, not cast it.. LOL... too many guye wires.

RitaR

Archived