Off the Frame this afternoon

Beautiful cross hatching. Can you give me instructions on how you did the cross hatching? Did you stop and start each time you came to the applique or did you backstitch a few stitches, jump over the applique, back stitch again and go on? Then go back and cut all the threads when you took the quilt off the frame? I am thinking about the cross hatch rulers but have not seen any instructions on how you use them.

Thanks,

Jeri Girl - On the Cross hatch - these rulers make it possible to do what you want to do. If you want to knot and bury all your threads you can. I didn't on this one as she didn't want to spend that kind of $$ on it. So a few stitches to start then went to the applique, stitched around the applique to the next line, moved the ruler up to that spot, and went back to border. I didn't carry my thread over the applique because it was area was bigger than my Millie could get without rolling it back and forth and I didn't want to do that for fear of wrinkles and it is just plain time consuming. I hope that this answers your questions. If you get the cross hatch rulers, Linda puts in a "How To" sheet. Very easy, but you may be like me and want to see how things are done. If Linda doesn't have a video of this on her web site - maybe she would make one for us (hint, hint) thanks for the question. Everyone has their own way of making it work for them. thanks again everyone and Bekah - don't give me hero status yet. I'm still not in the Big Leagues with the Diva's. :D

Linda R - Yes I stitched around all the fruit and the flowers, but that's all except got the peaches, she had 2 different fabrics with a curved seam and so I stitched down that curved seam. Really looked nice. Also, she had done the lattis work on the basket with bias strips, so I stitched down them as well just to nail everything down. On the leaves, I did a little bit of vein work so there wasn't big applique pieces without any stitching.

Archived