Wondering whether to buy CL kit or just stylus? Bought it!

carolinequilts

I just found out that I am 20 minutes down the road from the Circle Lord location in Ontario! How cool is that? I'm thinking of making a purchase (or at least a road trip!). I know I'll get lots of recommendations on this site!

So this goes out to all the CL users: In general, would you recommend the basic kit as a first purchase then build onto it with more templates later, or would the stylus alone plus one of the boards (I love the swirls!) be a better choice to start out with?

Thanks!

I have been fortunate to be able to purchase some boards and templates from a member who is selling them. I did have to get the stylus from Michael. After I received the first boards that I purchased from the member I did a lot of contemplating of what I wanted to do with my quilting and CL products. I contacted Michael and he had me send my wish list to him and he then gave me a quote for the CL and the templates and boards that I wanted. Depending what you want and how much money you spend he has a 6 or 12 month payment plan. I spent a lot of time browsing the CL website and viewing photos of quilts that had been quilted with CL boards and templates, and thinking about which items I might want first. I'm happy with my decision and although I don't have everything that I want, I've got enough to play with and enough that I can do a variety of quilting designs. I've used the swirls boards and love them, as well as the feather wreath, ginko, heartz and starz templates and a few more that I haven't used yet. I think the boards will be great for all over quilting and the templates for quilting in blocks. How lucky for you to be so close to a great quilting tool resource! Give Michael a call and good luck with your decision.

YOU GUYS ARE TOO FUNNY!

Yes, I agree with you all -- if I didn't have this silly day job I'd be there now! I'm going to try and get there this Friday. Just noticed a July special - CL basic + 1 template for $599!

I really appreciate all the help. I'm glad for the payment plan - I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive trip! Maybe I can hold myself back to just the CL basic and wait for more specials!

I think anyone in the area should definitely take Michael up on his offer for a house party (that's what you meant, right, Michael?). Even though the circlelord is easy as pie to use, you can't deny that seeing Michael and Kay in action would be worth it! Only problem....you'll probably end up walking away with more than you bargained for:D

I've probably asked this before, Caroline, but where are you....I'm probably about an hour south of Michael down by Lake Erie.

Have fun, Caroline!

Here's my opinion, which you asked for in your original question...

May as well get the CL basic and take advantage of the sale! When I first started I used the spiral template a lot. As for giant templates, I think a lot depends on the types of quilts you take in. The clams or baptist fan is great for traditional type quilts. The swirls is great for many quilts. I've also been using the 7 Treasures a lot since I got it. I think if you can afford it right now, you should start off with 2 of the giant templates...good money-makers because of the speed of getting a quilt done, it really does pay for itself in just a few quilts!

If you want something that allows you to quilt those all-overs fast and easily, then go for as many giant templates (boards) as you can afford. The more the better.

If you do a lot of custom work, then you will want the basic set too.

When a customer comes in and chooses a CL board, the quilt top goes on the frame almost immediately, I quilt it, it's done.

If they want something else, it's ponder over this and that. I may not even load the quilt for awhile.

If they want custom, and they like a CL design (basic set) then you don't have to figure out how to transfer the designs to the quilt, and then how to get marks out.

The CL just makes things go smoother and faster, not only in the quilting process, but in the decision making process.....for both you and the customer. You and the customer can visualize what they're getting beforehand.

I had a lovely visit with Mike and Kay today - such friendly people! It was really a treat to get to see everything, and how to use it, and how to set it up, and they were so helpful. I'm even comfortable with the prospect of having to raise my machine to accommodate the system. This is something that worried me..

So, here's what I got... The CL Basic + (which in the special includes the spirals), and the Feathers & Feathers Border, and the Giant Swirls, and the Giant Zig Zag. That last one (the zigzag) was pretty much an impulse buy as it was not in my plans, but it is sooo versatile - how could I pass that up? Thank goodness for the easy payment plan! What do I need now? Well, a week off of work for starters....

Thanks to everyone who helped me to spend my money and make the right choices!

Congratulations on your purchase Caroline.

I love all of the CL tools we have. I wish we lived close enough to just drive over and shop.

At first I was intimidated trying figuring out how to use the books to produce what I wanted but I just kept working at it and now it is easy.

I knew you would have a great visit with Kay and Michael, they are the best! And I knew you would walk away loving the CL. Now, just wait until you use it and see how easy it is. Yep, time to play is what we all need. Oh the things we could do if we could just play!! Congratulations.

Archived