Batting poking through the back -how to prevent?

I am quilting with a batik back, Quilter's Dream request cotton, Rainbow and Bottom Line for thread, and regular size needle, and I'm getting tiny bits of batting coming through. I changed the needle 4 times (quilt is 120" square), and it was better for a little while each time, but then they started up again.

My client used a dark maroon backing, which is showing every piece of batting!!! I need to tell her about busy backs...

Any advice on what I could have done differently to not get these bits of batting? Is it because it's cotton batting? Should I have used a smaller needle?

Thanks -

Julia

I went through that a little while ago. I received some good advice from this forum. One of the things that really helped was that battings have a wrong and right side. On a roll, the wrong side is usually folded on the inside (like fabric) and should be put towards the backing of the quilt. This really helped. Another thing is that I'm going to invest in dark batting and use that in quilts that have dark backing. Hope this helps..

I seem to have this problem frequently. I have used Hobbs 80/20, and most recently a Warm & Natural Cotton. I always put the rough side of the batting against the backing fabric, but I still get pokies. I too am wondering how to correct this problem. The worst was when I had a customer with a navy flannel backing and Fairfield batting (which I will never use again). But how does one correct the problem? Is it needle size, going too fast or too slow?

Julia,

I've not had this problem with QD but I have had it with Hobb's. I have found that if I get them I change my needle first, even if it is a new one. Sometimes those needles can have just the slightest burr that will pull a little batting through. The next thing you might try since it is batik is to use a slightly larger needle. Also if the fabric is not pre-washed try steaming the backing to loosen it up a little. Bonnie recommended that I steam the batting and that has worked for me in the past. Finally make sure your sandwich isn't too tight.

I just called the Warm Co. to verify which side of W&N and W&W should be against the backing. The rough side, or if you have a roll or folded piece, it would be the inside of the batting that should be against the backing. If you have W&N you can see flecks on the outside, which would be the side against the quilt, and the whiter side is against the backing. I thought this is how it should be and it is how I have been using the batting but wanted to check with the Warm Co. before posting the info.

Yes, thanks for asking that, Carol. I would like to know how to steam a large piece of batting...HATE those pokies! And what about the other battings that have a scrim. How do I recognize which side the scrim is on and which side faces the backing, the scrim side? What would we do without each other? Thanks in advance, Nancy in Tucson

Timely!

My Guild just had a visit from the rep from The Warm Company.

''Physical" scrim is like the thinnest, sheerest interfacing. The batting is needle punched through the scrim, thus you will not be able to find it on one side or the other--it is in the middle. "Chemical" scrim is a resin applied to one side only and you can easily tell which side it is on.

I think one problem might be your batting. QD Request 100% cotton has no scrim and does not stay together without extra care and effort (read that as--the darn stuff pulls apart with a strong breeze!) It is not recommended for longarming. The speed of the stitching and the extra handling with each roll make it even weaker.

Another tip, dark maroon solid for a backer--lovely color, but unforgiving. I would have steered them to a black batting or a different backer. I know, easier said than done!!:o

How do you steam a batting? I generally spritz mine to get the wrinkles out (its packaged at this point) and toss it in the drier. After that, I have no clue which side was folded in. I've been using Myrna's trick of poking with a pin to determine which side is easiest to poke. That side goes up against the quilt top.

I usually steam as I go but it is easy to do it before too. Just lay it out across your rollers and steam. You can do that with an iron (don't touch the batting with the hot iron) or a steamer. I have a steamer and that makes it easier to do. If I find I'm having a problem I steam as I go. Roll and steam right through the backer or top, doesn't matter.

My DH hung a long PVC pipe on the ceiling that pulls up and down with a rope and pulleys. I just hang the batting over that and steam with a steamer. It just takes a few minutes and the batting is soft and smooth. The steamer was from Hancock Fabrics. They sometimes put them on sale for $39.

JULIE

Archived