FEATHER CHALLENGED - GETTING IQ

Gator

I'm so excited!!! No matter how many classes I take and PPP my feathers are nightmares!!! I'm tired of stencilling them also. I ordered the IQ and it will be installed in two weeks. Does anyone have any words of wisdom (I have a millenimum 08). Where's the best place to get designs/patterns. So many questions!!! My stomach aches just like when I bought my millie (money spent, etc). I've really investigated which computer to get and watched tons of videos but IQ was talking to me!!! Thanks to the ladies who already gave me their opinions on the IQ.:cool:

Connie - you are going to be sooooooo happy. Go to the Intelliquilter home page - look under patterns & there are several sites listed for patterns - they are all good. I haven't joined any of the clubs yet, but have signed up for any news letter if a site offered and keep track of the sales. Just go to the sites and drool until you decide what you will do.

I'm glad you posted. I too have an 08 Milli, and although I haven't quite given up yet, my ppp still hasn't produced the feathers of my dreams.... I hope you will remember this topic,/site, and post your experiences with the new computer system, I would really value a personal opinion on it, especially since you have the same basic equipment.

Hope you are feathering away, and all the other fabulous patterns too, :cool: Pat

Pat,

I have IQ on a 2008 Millie and love it.

Here's a little information:

IQ adds about 4 lbs to the head of the machine where the tablet sits.

The motors add just a few pounds on the carriage for the x, y axis.

You lose about 8 inches of space horizontally on your table so that the x motor does not go off the end of the table. The space is on the far left side of the table when you are facing the front. You won't miss the space at all.

There is really only a couple of cables and cords added to the machine and table. None of it is bulky and heavy. So you get virtuallly no extra drag from extra cords hanging off the machine and carriage.

The IQ tablet can be taken off in a matter of minutes at the end of the day so you can play with patterns, design the next quilt, etc. away from the machine.

You can switch from freehand to computerized and back in less than 3 seconds with the touch of a button. No messings with cables, knobs, etc. Simply touch a button on the screen and it is done.

Edgerider wheels come with your installation. An added benefit if you don't already have edgeriders.

Updates are free and are a simple as a download to a USB stick.

I got my IQ in March. There has been 3-4 updates since then and they all included new functionality that you won't find in other systems.

The rumors you hear about damage to the tablet from vibration because it is attached to the machine are simply not true. Ask Zoltan or one of the dealers about these rumors.

The rumors you hear about the wheels falling apart are simply not true. Again, ask Zoltan or one of the dealers about the rumor.

If you are really serious about IQ, I would recommend that you go to the IQ yahoo site and ask IQ owners their opinions. A fair number of us are APQS owners so you can ask questions specific to your machine.

Hands down, IQ is the best system out there right now. Other systems on the market or coming on the market soon don't even begin to compare, especially taking into account some of the recent functionality added and what you are getting for the money. It is beyond me why someone would spend $15000+ for one of the other systems when you could get IQ for $12000 and have much more functionality and get more added all the time at no extra cost. My opinion is that you cannot go wrong with IQ.

You and Connie might both be interested in knowing that you can easily generate feather patterns on the fly with new features of IQ. It's very cool and some exciting enhancements are being made to it as we speak. Ask about the path pattern and have someone show you how it is done. And there there is the new fan pattern. You can create unlimited designs with it using patterns already in IQ. Very cool. I've used both of these features on several quilts. There might be some videos with these new features at http://www.intelliquiltertraining.com/.

Because of the new features in IQ where you can generate patterns on the fly, I have changed my buying habits. I look for design elements now instead of looking for borders, sashings, blocks, wreaths, etc. because I can generated unlimited patterns now from 1 design element.

Hope this helps.

Debbi: Thank you for your information. I'll probably keep a file,(which will get pretty thick!) on the IQ system. Right now I have a husband who was encouraged to retire last year, and two boys in their last year of college, so I will have to wait a year. I visit the DesMoines area about twice a year, would you be interested in a paid consult, perhaps at the APQS site? I could arrange it quite a way in advance.

I'm getting mentally set for this change, like others, money invested is scary, can't really do anything this year though. Did I mention I have a third granddaughter who is 6 weeks, and in my care, and in Dec. another daughter is expecting twins?:D No harm in preparing though....:P:P Thanks to all for encouragement and especially for tips to better stitching.

I love life when it's busy and full of new things:cool: Pat

I agree with Debbi about the IQ. It is fabulous. I had to learn to windex my rails on the table

because I kept getting an error about "obstruction detected". If you have a problem,

you post it on IQ-Yahoo groups and get lots of support.

Yesterday, I decided to try the record feature. I set up a panto that a friend drew of Maples

leaves, turned on the laser light, hit record and (without the needle moving) followed the panto

for one repeat and then saved the pattern. LOL, I am a bit rusty with pantos so I went off the

line and had loopy points. I think that I better practice more before I try again. But I was thrilled

with the idea that I could draw a design and save the pattern. I know that my Pre-Design

software will do that for me too. I have so many toys and so little time.

I took the IQ to the LQS to meet my customer, she selected the designs for the border, blocks

and corners. She was thrilled to be included in the design phase and is looking forward to

the end product. I started that full custom last night. I called DH into the room so he

could see how perfectly the IQ does SID. I have done the corner stones, top border and 2 of the

blocks so far.

Hey Linda,

When you record and get those little bobbles, use the smoothing feature to get rid of them. Works great. I think this was something new in the last release.

My customers also like to be included in the design process. I've converted Judy Martin now to letting me do computerized quilting on her quilts. She was a little hesitant at first. I've done it on 3 of her quilts now and she loves the results and is now bringing me designs to digitize for future quilts!!

Debbi

Linda, Some how I had missed the information that, with IQ, I could trace over a panto and have it recorded so that Millie would quilt it out for me WOW ! Up to now I didn't think that I needed to have "computerized" drive for the Millie. Your posting has changed my thoughts on that subject.

Now where did I leave that "Penny" jar................

Thanks everyone!!! I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions on here and IQ Yahoo. Checks in the mail so there's no turning back now (not that I would).

Shanna, I really do make horrible feathers but I thought it was a good excuse to tell my DH. Thanks for the "biker" compliment, I'll take all of them at 56.:cool:

Connie: Look what happened... I had been thinking of upgrading, reading your posts just crystalized my ideas, now I have my new info file, a great contact in Debbi, and a Jar labeled " IQ" . My husband thought it was for ideas for future quilts, but I know it is for the $$ saved toward the goal. (not that I could save the thousands at home:D) but it's the idea of sewing a little more each week towards the goal...Unfortunately around here that means home dec, and bridal/prom, but I can do it:cool:

An appeal to anyone with experiences, post so we can read up, dream, make plans.. Thanks, Pat

Print out some good photos of the IQ or other computerized unit you want to have and post them on the wall in your studio where you can see them regularly. When you look at them, say something like " I am so grateful that is mine now". Try it ...see what happens.

Pat, this stuff is addictive. I will update my posts as I get my IQ installed and start using it. I like the jar and post a picture ideas. My 27 years in the Navy is paying off, I used my retirement checks (many of them) to save up for the IQ. You can't live on a military retirement so you might as well use it for something great!!!

I agree Deb you do a fantastic job promoting the IQ, Zoltan should give you a lifetime supply of new patterns, but wait you can make your own on the IQ, a commission would be better!!!

Connie,

Congratulations on your purchase. You will love it. Lisa Calle and I own Intelligent Quilting and we each also own 2 IQ's . It's a phenomenal system. I just posted our latest newsletter on the forum but you can sign up on our web page to receive them directly.

let us know if you have any questions.

Karen Thompson

http://www.IntelligentQuilting.com

Archived