Thread Breaking

I am still having a bad time with my machine. Skipped stitches, thread breaking etc. I have read about Sewers Aid and have never used it. Is it safe to use on SO Fine thread and it is safe for our machines. My top thread is fraying and breaking. It is very humid here in Michigan, could this have something to do with thread breaking? Is sewers aid something I can get locally at JoAnn's?

Shawn

Ultimate II

Hi Shawn,

I am sorry you are going through all this problem. You can use Sewers' Aid on any thread. I only use it when needed (rare) and when I use it, I just run a few beads along the cone or spool to saturate as needed. The only threads I usually use it on are metallics and sometimes cotton threads.

What size needle are you using?

Just curious: When was the last time your machine had a tune up? It might need some adjustments. Can you call Dave or DeLoa Jones? Maybe they can help you. They helped Peggy Lucas tune up her Millennium and now Peggy is a very happy quilter and her machine is quilting perfectly.

I am using So Fine thread and the needles that came with my machine MR4.0. Thanks for the suggestion on called Dave or DeLoa. I bought my machine from them and they are great. I have cleaned, polished a small burr off the hook, changed the needle 3 or 4 times. Dawn C. sent me a print out on timing and from the photos it appears to be good. I finally got it to sew without skipping stitches for a while but the thread now frays and breaks.

Sewers Aid and the spray silicone are the same thing. The quilt we were doing for sub Mom Bernice was giving us fits until we got the bobbin tension fixed right, then the top thread to match and get a perfect stitch. It was more the bobbin tension even with the Sewers Aid. when we got a perfect stitch, we'd use the spray on the quilt top, lightly, now, lightly.. you don't soak it as with starch or sizing.. Run 3 or 4 threads of silicone up and down a cone or spool of thread..

It really made a diff. Havent had a thread break on that quilt since. Had to take it off and do a couple small things. Still no thread problems once we sprayed it.

RitaR

ritaR

The next time the thread frays and breaks, raise the lever to the top by hand and trace the thread through it's pathway to the break. If is breaks before the needle, look for burrs on the last pigtail guide. If it is breaking at the needle, change it. If it is breaking beyond the needle (under the needle plate) check for burrs aroung the hole in the needle plate and also on the hook.

Good advice as well to loosen the top on the roller a bit and apply Sewer's Aid--available at Joann's.

Maybe first though, take the thread between two fists and see how much force it takes to break the thread. If you almost cut your hand, the thread is OK!:D If it breaks easily, you have a bad cone and nothing will help the thread.

Good luck and I hope you are stitching happily soon!

Boy am I having the luck or lack of. I bought the Sewers Aid at Joanns went down the basement where my machine is only to find a 1/4 of water all over the floor where my machine is. The storms we had over the weekend cause leakage. Now I have to mop and bleach the floors before I can use the machine. Did not think it was a good idea to stand in water and operate machine. I work full time so I don't have that much time to begin with. I am thinking this quilt will never get done. Oh well, one thing at a time. Clean up then try the machine again. Thanks for all you help with my problems.

Well, I finally got the basement dried out. I changed the needle again. Checked the thread path again. Loosened the tension on the rollers. Used condensed air to clean once again. Added sewers aid to the thread. Ran the dehumidifier to get some moisture out of the air and.....................my machine was working fine. No skipping stitches and no thread breaking. I'm not sure what was causing the issue but I am so glad it is running well again. I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and help. I felt so helpless at home not knowing what to do. You all are life savers. I hope some day I will be able to help someone else.

It is so great to have this forum. When I first wrote in I felt like a stranger but now feel like I have some new friends. Thanks again.

Shawn

i'm having thread breakage too... and i can't find my bottle of sewer's aid... guess it got lost in the move... sheri... you saw our 'moving crew'... yikes... i found fabric and other sewing essentials stuffed in the hutch, in boxes of glasses and wine, etc--it was a nightmare--roughest move we've ever had... no telling what happened to my tube of sewer's aid... i've looked everywhere... guess i'll go look in the pantry now... you never know... :) (ps: it's only been 7 months since our move... you dont' expect me to be unpacked yet, do you??)

Yesterday, my thread all of a sudden started breaking....I was almost done with my quilt! Then my friend came over to see me woking on it (her quilt) and Iwas getting very frustrated cause I couldn't find the problem.... changed and cleaned the bobbin, rethreaded the whole thing several times...still breaking..... my friend says...."maybe it needs a new needle".............changed the needle, no more breaks.....it was a DUHHHHHHH! moment!! (she doesn't even quilt)! :o linda

Archived