How to make crazy sashing?

Hi all -

I saw a t-shirt quilt once that had crazy sashing - not just different fabric squares in a row - really crazy strips. They went off at all kinds of angles and looked like someone had made a crazy quilt and then cut it into 2 1/2" strips for the sashing.

The gal told me the simple way to make it, and it didn't involve making a whole crazy quilt, but I have forgotten! Does anyone know how to do this?

I'm making a t-shirt quilt for a professional soccer player and I want it to look really great and unique.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Julia

I was going to suggest foundation-piecing for the sashing, but--wow Linda--that adding machine tape idea is super! I assume you remove the paper after?

Anyhoo--cut muslin or use the machine tape and cover with any-old-way pieces of fabric until you have the length you need. Straighten the edges by trimming the overhangers up to the paper or the fabric foundation, and there ya go!

Bonnie Hunter is the queen of the scrappers--she saves and uses slivers of fabric. Her string-pieced blocks are so great. She says if you think a fabric is ugly, you haven't cut it into small enough pieces!!:D

Archived