thread choice

Dear quilting friends, please help me out.

I'm getting into buisiness soon now and want to offer threads to my clients. From superior threads I'm going to offer the king tut series because of the variegated colours and the fact that over here cotton is most asked for.

Now I'm a bit in doubt for my solids: So fine or bottom line (both poly's) and or Aurifill cotton 40/2. Since buying a whole spectrum with tread stand is a bit of a expenditure, I want to make the right choice. Please give me your expert advice. BTW, I can sew with all kinds that's no problem.

Love,

Wendy, which ever thread you choose, I would purchase a basic set of colors and add to that as you need. If you purchase the whole line of any thread I bet there will be colors you never use and those you need to restock several times!! Think about the style quilts you see your customers making. Brights? Pastels? Country colors? Christmas? Then buy your first threads to try to accomodate those.

I would go with SoFine. It is poly but has that cotton look. I agree with Debbie, just start out with the basics. I find that the neutrals/blenders are what I use the most. Some great starters for the SoFine line are 401,402,403,406 (use 403 & 406 ALOT) 411, 418, 423, 424, 435, 450. These are just a few of the ones I use quite often. If you want bright, these are not bright. Definately get the color cards as a starting point.

I use So Fine all the time for quilting...my machine loves it and I like the matte look (like cotton) with the strength of polyester. In your situation, I would be asking myself what my customers will be using the thread for. Are they piecing? Then I'd offer the Aurifil in the 50 weight or the Superior Masterpiece. Are they quilting for themselves on domestic machines? Then the Aurifil in 40 weight might be a good choice along with the King Tut. Will you be selling to other longarmers? Then I'd choose the So Fine. Superior will soon introduce a line of 100 weight silk thread (can't wait!) and that would appeal to your customers for quilting or for applique.

Good luck with your new venture, Nancy in Tucson

I don't care for bottom line thread as it is slippery. I prefer So-Fine and it comes in so many colors. Buy the basics with a few other colors and then add as your business gets up and running. For a heavier thread, I like Signature and it is not as expensive as some of the other threads.

Archived