Pieced backers

My new pet peeve! And my (too late) solution!

I suppose because of the economy and quilters delving into their stashes, most of my customers are bringing me pieced backers.

I just finished a quilt (103 x 103) that had 13 pieces of fabric pieced together for the backer. And I had to call her back to add more since the backer was 105 x 105. She pieced in two more pieces down one side--I loaded the short side to the rollers since I knew I could control the width more easily. It was a big chore to get it all to work, and I am greatly disappointed in the outcome.

One side of the backer was especially troublesome--a big hammock on the left side that hung on through most of the quilting. I used a pad to flatten the backer as I quilted and all was going OK until the last two advances. It was obvious then that the top was off-square by a bit and of course her pieced backer had a nice seam fairly close to the edge. So, from the back the whole thing is wonky--and very obvious.

Sigh...

I now have a new sign posted in my studio--

"Pieced backings are accepted only with parallel seams. No more than four pieces. Handouts available with more information."

Others may have better luck or a better solution, I hope. This quilt was on the frame for a week--it wasn't intricate quilting, I just couldn't face it with the problems I knew I would have. Now this wonky quilt is out there as an example of my work. She picks it up today--:(

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad I saw your post as I'm saving it for a friend. We've quilted together for almost 20 years and I love her dearly, but she pieces the backs, sometimes out of very "bad" fabrics. I am new to longarming, and am practicing on some donation quilts, which usually aren't very big. So not too many seams usually, BUT I dread what's coming. She will bring me a large quilt someday with 30 pieces sewn together on the back....I think I'll just be really brave and say,,,,,"NO" :P:P Pat:cool:

I like the look of back art, so I don't mind doing them, BUT, when the piecer brings it in, I try to measure both the quilt & the back, on all 4 (or however many) sides, while she is still there. If the back is not big enough, I will send it back for repair. If it is wonky, I explain that maybe I can "quilt it out" a little bit (THANK YOU BONNIE!), but there will be puckers & I may have to take some tucks. People who do not get it straight in the first place usually say they don't care, they just want it done. If they do care, they can take it home & fix it before it's to late. I have never had a complaint in the end.

I have gotten a few of these pieced backs over the years. One was so bad I asked the customer about it when she came for her quilt. She told me she didn't square up the fabrics before sewing them together and that she "eased" quite a few of the fabrics to fit the others. I explained to her that if she continued to do that to her pieced backs she would get poor results in the finished product, after all there is only so much a longarmer can do to help with this problem. She said that she was no longer going to put that many peices in her backs because hates to square up her fabric! :o

BTW Bonnie's steam method helps to some degree with this problem (when there is small problem not huge hamock situations). Steam from the top and the steam affects the bottm fabric.

I charge extra if a multiple-pieced back comes in, enough to charge for the extra time it takes me to fiddle with it. It helps to roll the back back and forth more than normal after loading to stretch it out. Also using thicker batting.

A couple of years ago, I began informally talking about the pain multiple-pieced backs are in the quilting groups I belong to and noting that a certain local quilt store has begun carrying a great selection of wide backs. Actually, wide backs do cost less per square yard. The active quilters around here were pretty quick to pick up on the hint.:cool:

How about that??!!

My customer with the weird backer picked up her quilt today.

I guess I stressed over nothing--she was thrilled.

She didn't care that one edge was so obviously at an angle.

She was gushing over the quilting (sorry) and thought I didn't charge enough.

I must be my own worst enemy....

I had a headache for two days, and now--miracle of miracles--it's gone. :)

I need a vacation--oh wait--it started yesterday! Tomorrow I get an inside peek at quilt judging at Innovations and then four days of classes and meet-ups with old friends and chat friends I have never seen before!

I have been piecing my backs lately to help use up fabric. Yes, it does take a little extra time to roll back and forth if the backing is not pieced well. I am finding that I don't have much of a problem, but I am making sure the pieces are square before I sew them together. The one so far with the most pieces was a homespun backing (100 squares:))

I am glad that your customer was happy.

Have a great time at Innovations!

I just had to say "no" to a pieced backing last week. Someone called to ask about getting something quilted and asked if she could use old receiving blankets sewn together for the back. I told her no, because they would be so stretchy and I'd have a number of hammocks on the back...I know that someone sent an old sheet for a backing once and it just sagged horribly so I won't take this kind of backing anymore.

I've been getting more pieced backers too. I just had one that I would guess had at least 9 fabrics in it. It worked out well though. DeLoa Jones taught me something when I first started and that has saved me lots of headaches with the backer. There are times I still get a droopy one but not that often. What she taught me to do was to roll the backer all up on the take-up bar, don't worry about how wonky it is (lol tongue in cheek because I always fuss with it a little). Then roll back onto the bottom bar, making sure to keep it smooth and even. If you start to get a diagonal twist or it isn't as flat as it should be, roll back onto the take-up roller and repeat. I really don't stress too much about my backers now. It always seems to take out the excess.

Archived