room needed

Front to back the machine will take up about 5.5 feet with the machine fully extended to the back. Then you need room on the back side to work if you are working on the panto side. Front to back you need a minimum of about 8 feet. You can put casters on it to move back and forth if necessary.

Widthwise, that would depend on the table length you are looking at. If you get the motorized fabric advance that adds about 9-10" to the side. So, 14' you need at least 16' to get around the machine. Figure adding about 2' to the width of the table you choose.

Hope this helps.

MAN that's a silly quesion...I would tell him a building about 30" x 40" and walk away....grinning.

Patty gave you great advice for the machine area, but don't don't forget, stash area, sewing area, and cutting table area. My cutting table is a 4" x 8" and seemed small when outside, but now that its in the room its almost wall to wall. LOVE it dont' get me wrong, but over kill totally. But Gene did promise me someday a 30" x 40" area...can hardly wait...just hope I get to see it before I die.:cool:

Hi Jolene!

Does this mean you are getting your dream-come-true machine?? :P:P Sure hope so!!

My studio is 17' x 25'; and as you saw, I have my Big Boy (Millie) in long ways; along a 25' wall. I don't have tons of room, but once I clear out some more fabric that will help!!! Or maybe I just need better shelving. I also need to get rid of the random sh**! I seem to collect and hold on to all kinds of stuff!!:o:o

Originally posted by Katydids

Hey Bonnie... I hope you get more than 30 to 40 inches! ;)

sorry, couldn't resist that one

Dang fingers....they messed me up again.....I would hope not either......

CORRECTION 30 Feet x 40 feet...complete with sky lights and huge windows....someday to be above a new garage....

Bonnie: I've moved a fair amount, had a table in the living room of a 850 sq.ft. house, had a walk in closet in the basement, had a storage closet on the 2nd floor of a house (about 9 x 9), had a space in the basement I shared with the boulder that they poured the basement around!!, currently have 2 small bedrooms on different floors, plus the part of the basement (at least this time it's finished):) All this just so I could sew and quilt!!!

I've been designing my "real" studio for the last 25 years, and yes I need a space about 30 x 40, I just can't see it yet:D:D

By the way, also I've decided I need a conversation area, a 4 season area for my plants, a gallery for the quilts that don't fit in the rest of the house, and on the wall, a cat run, with perches for my three cats, and a view of the (you fill in the blank):P:P

I'm in a race, first it was to carve out a little space for myself what with raising 4 children on the cheap, then they started to leave (!) and I had a vision but no money (college, etc,) now I'm realizing I'll have to hurry before I need to downsize :P:cool: Good thing I like to dream almost as much as quilt, AND

the older I get , the more I realize I really only need a chair, needle, thread, scissors, and piece of quilting to be happy.... keep quilting, Pat

Oh, Pat I agree...currently I have the WHOLE basement for my studio..its about 1500 square feet, but there are no lights and its not a happy place....and its DANG cold in the winter. I have plenty of room, I just want more.....:P:P with the perfect view, the perfect lighting, and the perfect storage spaces.... Greedy I know...but I'm worth it. Or at least Gene tells me I am.:cool:

Thanks everyone!!! I am still trying to convince him I need one but space is limited. We are empty nesters now and I am looking at the kids rooms a whole different way. :) I already have one with my machine and stash in. I also have a megaqilter on an inspira frame but really need (want) to expand to a bigger machine.

Oh I would love to have a large quilting room! My main quilting room where my LA is, is only 13' x 13', I have to crawl under my machine to get from front to back. My quilting.....mainly stash has taken over 4 of the 5 bedrooms. So it would be nice to have everything in one room.

I'm a typical quilter no room would ever be big enough, the bigger the room the more stuff I'd buy. Do they have support groups for this???

My 12' Millie lives in our formal living room which is 17' by 12'. I can only get around the end with the fabric advance. It also houses my DSM and a serger (both in their own cabinets), a small bookcase, a storage cabinet, a small cutting table, my sewing chair, and a small easy chair (in which my DH sometimes likes to sit and read the paper while I sew). The majority of my stash is under the Millie (on both sides) in Sterilite plastic drawer units with the larger yardage pieces in the storage cabinet. My cones of thread are in another smaller Sterilite drawer unit under the arm of my sewing cabinet. Right now I have two floor lamps (one beside the longarm and one beside the DSM) and need to get more lighting for around the Millie. Daytime is fine because I have two large sets of windows, but I just don't have enough light for at night. With dreary fall and winter days, I fear that I'll have trouble seeing during the day very soon.

Let's say that things are very cozy. I have room on both sides of the longarm to work and I have a few feet between it and the DSM. I had to set up the ironing board in another room. Oh well, that gives me some much needed exercise.

My dream is to have a huge sewing studio. It will probably remain a dream because we intend to downsize in the near future. My hope is that I'll still have room for a longarm. So, taking that into consideration, I am very happy in my cozy sewing room.

Originally posted by Liam1964

I'm a typical quilter no room would ever be big enough, the bigger the room the more stuff I'd buy. Do they have support groups for this???

Liam,

You are a silly!!!!;):P Not on this chat site..............Haven't you realised yet that we are all "enablers" here?? The only support you will get is to buy more, buy another or buy two, just because it happens to be there, would be nice or seems like something that will be required in the future...... someone correct me but that is the circle of life for quilting isn't it???

Originally posted by Susanne.Hughes

Originally posted by Liam1964

Liam,

You are a silly!!!!;):P Not on this chat site..............Haven't you realised yet that we are all "enablers" here?? The only support you will get is to buy more, buy another or buy two, just because it happens to be there, would be nice or seems like something that will be required in the future...... someone correct me but that is the circle of life for quilting isn't it???

Susanne...who us...we would NEVER trip someone into buying more of ______________....never never never. That's because if we convience them to do it there won't be any left for us. Liam your support group is right here...we will support you in your life trials, buying sprees, general all around grips.... and yes its the circle of life.;):P;)

If you are empty nester CONVERT THOSE BEDROOMS!!

Get a Hidabed for visitors. As much as i love my kids, the days of them pingponging in and out of the house are over. I have a guest room no extra permanent residents room. When they "temporarily" come back They want to be treated as adults but be waited on and cleaned up after. It is FRUSTRATING. Besides it is great to be able to enjoy my DH again. He is still enjoying how happy my Millie has made me!!!!:P I actually told him no presents for any occassion ever again. (he's too smart to fall for that though)

I have already taken over one room :) The problem is...the roof line is sloped in all the rooms, the highest point in the room is 7ft on the inside wall and the outside walls are about 4ft. This was an Amish home that we bought and rehabbed (I'm spoiled, I like running water, bathrooms in the house and a/c) I'll keep him measuring :) I don't have to worry about the kids coming home anytime soon...one is in the Navy stationed in Hawaii and the other is in school in Arizona (she went there because it is warm, loves it and plans on staying)

Archived