Cedar Closet Storage

Does anyone know what can be stored in a cedar-lined closet, now that it has been determined the cedar's acidity eats fabrics? I recently moved into a new (older) house with a cedar closet in the hallway. I'm wondering if I could get away with putting contact lining paper on the shelving and store sheets, etc (don't worry -- no quilts will go in there) or are cedar closets completely useless and I might as well remove the cedar wood lining and shelving? Anyone with any experience or knowledge about this? Thanks!

If the clothes lean up against it for a LONG period time....like you have a closet stuffed full...then in some areas the oils from the wood gets on the fabric and it starts to break down and rot. I've never had this problem never had a cedar closet, but I've heard others complain about it, and they just laqued the insides. Maybe its just to much of a good thing....I've just had the cedar gizmos hanging in my closets, never had the pleasure of having a real one.

I'm wondering if this is a humdity thing...in NV we never had to worry about that. If it got to 20% humidity we were very sticky...and you really noticed it... AND here where I live in the land of 100% humdity, I fall asleep remembering the dry cool night air and convince myself all will be better in about 10 years.

Most wood (if not all) is acid (not basic). Old newspapers turn yellow because of the acid (chemical reaction: the paper breaks down, becomes fragile, and eventually disintegrates:)). This is why scrapbook papers are now acid free. This is why quilts should be stored in acid free paper or other fabric.

Yes, if you paint or seal cedar it does lose it's effectiveness in detering moths. If you have a cedar chest or closet that no longer has that destinctive smell you can bring it back by sanding the wood lightly to open the pores in the wood. This lets the smell out again. Cedar should only hurt your quilt if it's making direct contact. My mother always wrapped her quilts in an old sheet before putting in the cedar chest. You can make sleeves for your quilts from old sheets sorta like pillow cases or even use old pillow cases depending on the size of your quilts. You can put quilts in acid free boxes used to store wedding dresses and set that box on a shelf in your closet. That way the cedar can still do it's job and when you open the door you get to smell all that lovely cedar.

Archived