New BOM pattern

I just posted some new photos of a new block of the month for Starr Fabrics. The pattern (Fairy Dust) will be out in the fall. The quilting is simple but the quilt is awesome. Of course in real it is so much prettier. This quilt was designed by Kathleen's daughter Shelly for those of you that know them. I think Shelly has a hit on her hands:;).

Look for her booth at some of the shows. Unfortunatly she does not come to MQS. She will be at Spring Markert though.

Myrna

Originally posted by SueInAustralia

Myrna,

Whats the story with the quilt that has thongs on in your album. Its a very unusual one.

Sue in Australia

Sue are you referring to the album (#11) that has the blue "thong" shoes showing? If you are, the pictures in rows 2 & 3 (they are of a blue, pink, yellow paper pieced twisted log cabin) are a quilt a made. Myrna quilted it for me last year. She did a fantastic job and I have the quilt hanging in my home where I go by it about 10 times a day. :D

SUE, OHMYGOSH! OF course she is talking about the quilt with the "thongs" She had me stuttering there and red faced for a minute LOL I crack me up

It is just a pattern. On of my sunny California customers does all kinds of fun quilts. It turned out really cute. I made the all look like different styles.

Sue's quilt is really cool too, and it has a bit of a story. Right Sue?

Sue and a couple of other fun gals were at my studio taking classes awhile back. We were doing designs. I had Sue's quilt on the table. They we all standing around watching me. I was showing different designs on floralphane using a sharpie. I was telling them to be very careful while doing this. "You don't want to get sharpie on a quilt". Well.....Iget a little excited when I start trying designs and I was going along. All of a sudden they all yelled no, but it was too late, I had gone off the paper to start a design. Sue being the very sweet lady that she is took it very well. I got pretty much every bit of it out and I quilted it for her. I'm sure all I had to do was ask if Icould quilt it she would have let me. I didn't need to put myself and her through that. They learned a valuable lesson that day, as did I. Now I have confessed and I feel better. And Sue has a CQ so she does not have to mark anything.

Thank you all for taking a look and your kind words. Don't we have a great job.

Myrna

Cheryl,

I did tell Kathleen that is was the ugliest quilt I had ever seen and there was just no way I could send it back to her. She just didn't care.

Ha Ha Myrna,

I wondered if I should explain "thongs" - I'm so glad I didn't - it gave me a good laugh - not the quilt - the conversation - I love your quilt Sue - now I better shut up before i did an even bigger hole.

I'd love to see the other fun quilts this group have done.

Sue in Australia

As the parent of teenagers, the reference to "thongs" made me LOL too. American english is certainly an evolving language!!!:D

The quilting on the BOM quilt is wonderful, as is the pattern!! Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious about the floralphane. Does the dry erase marker wipe off easily? I've used the small over head projector sheets, but they're too small to use safely, then I went and bought a large piece of clear vinyl at JoAnn's, but the dry erase marker has to be cleaned off with alcohol. Can you get floralphane at a store like Michael's? How wide is it?

And, how did you get the dry erase marker out? I had that happen once, and had a really difficult time getting it out. If the fabric had been a print, I think all the scrubbing I did would have changed the color. Fortunately, it was on a plain white.

I'm always inspired by your work Myrna!!

Thanks again!

Sue K.

The topic of thongs has me on the floor laughing and with a tale to tell. First lets start off with that I'M not a little person anymore....lets just leave it at I'm VERY Fluffy. A couple of days ago I sent my 12 year old granddaughter to the closet to get my "flip flops", but I forgot to say that and reverted to a old word...."THONGS"

I wish I had a camera at that moment, it was so cute to see the wheels in her little head going, YUCK gram in a thong, and then the wonderment of do they make them big enough, and finally the total relief after explaining what I really wanted.

Made giggle thought I would share.

With the floralphane I use the dry erser markers do wipe off. I found it at a floral supply. I have it 24' wide an like 4500 feet long. I believe it available in wider widths as well.

Funny Bonnie.

Thanks for all your nice comments about the quilt.

Myrna

Originally posted by suzakel

And, how did you get the dry erase marker out? I had that happen once, and had a really difficult time getting it out. If the fabric had been a print, I think all the scrubbing I did would have changed the color. Fortunately, it was on a plain white.

Sue, as soon as this happened, while the ink was still wet, Myrna ran for the rubbing alcohol (although a good stiff drink might have felt better;)) and started dabbing at the ink. Myrna kept doing this for quite a while. A good part of the ink came off. If I remember correctly, Myrna actually did very little rubbing because she didn't want to harm the fabric as I did not have any of that particular fabric left. We also tried using hairspray but that didn't work as well as the alcohol. As it is the fabric did get a little worn but not enough to cause a problem.

We set the quilt aside and went back to our class and later Myrna applied the alcohol again and again and again. By the second day most of the ink was out. What is left is extremely faded and most people can't even see it. I know where it is so I do see it but Myrna's quilting does a wonderful job of hiding it and like I said, if you didn't know it was there, you'd never see it.

Myrna offered to buy the top from me, but I wouldn't sell it (I have a hard time parting with the things I make:o). When she then offered to quilt it for me I jumped at this offer because I was a brand new longarmer and had no idea what to do with this quilt. I could never have made it look a fraction as good as Myrna did! I love what Myrna did.

Thanks for sharing that story Sue!

As long as we're fessing up, I'll tell the rest of mine. Some of you will be horrified. I'll start by saying this was a close friend's quilt (thank goodness!!). I too immediately went running for the rubbing alcohol and did get a lot out that way, but of course on white I could still see it. I didn't want to use too much alcohol because I didn't want it to seep into the batting because I was sure it would never come out. My friend is an older woman and she keeps a bar of some kind of laundry stain remover. It looks a bar of hand soap. This soap contains lye. (I'm thinking at this point, OMG!!!, I'm going to have to make her a new quilt top!!!!)

She goes at the stain with her trusty bar of lye soap and the stain came out almost instantly!!!! Needless to say I rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed until she made me stop. I was so afraid that the soap would stay in the quilt and damage it.

To this day, the stain hasn't returned, and the fabric looks no different in that area than in the rest of the quilt. I know where it is, because a quilter never forgets an incident like that, but no one else can find it. Whew!!

I was terrified of using dry erase markers after that, but it's such a great way to preview a quilting design. Now I lay tissue paper under the vinyl all along both edges top and bottom. It reminds me where to stop when I'm getting carried away.:)

I'm going to look into the floralphane. Sounds like it would be much easier to use than the vinyl, and larger than the overhead projector sheets. And, maybe I'll put some masking tape at each edge. That would stop me from marking too far.

Sue K.

I know you would never have told Sue, you are a doll.

But they say it's good to get things off your chest;). And I am still so horrified that I did that.

This is such a GREAT forum and sharing is what it all about, good and bad. That's how we learn.

Yes using blue painters tape is a great way to give yourself boundries. Another is to get a large picture frame and put it down. I would take the glass out because I don't trust myself that much and use it with the floralphane.

Myrna

Archived