Ferret's Book

When I was in Scotland a few weeks ago, someone at the hotel was talking about lots of mail that was "dumped" and not delivered by what was assumed to be unhappy postal workers. Also, admission tickets that were to be delivered to the hotel in Edinburgh, never arrived and I had to re-purchase them. (: All this was blamed to the strike.

Hopefully, our books will not be affected, other than to have their arrival a bit slower than usual.

If the Royal Mail loses any of my post there will be TROUBLE! It's all going pear-shaped in England. I have a great Postie in Scotland who leaves parcels under the tarp on the log pile.

I have been getting very annoyed with Post Office handling charges on my international parcels. VAT is one thing but a standard £8.00 handling fee is outrageous - even on a box of bobbins. The sad thing is that even with tax and fees, imported goods are still cheaper!

Wow Linzi, I can't imagine having the postal system tack on such huge charges! :o We complain when the first class stamps go up 2 cents!

I will be watching for my book and let you all know when it arrives!

I have to ask, if someone from the states sends you a package do you have to pay extra charges on it? How do they decide that and how much? Whew, if that's so that stinks!

I have to chip in here in defence of the Royal Mail system. Having lived both in the US and in the UK the Royal mail is super fast, super efficient and generally cheaper.

I guess as with any strike there is disruption to the service. I must have been lucky as besides my regular mail, I have received several parcels both national and international with no noticable delays.

Is there not import duty to pay on items that land in the US on items over a certain value? We definitely have to put a customs sticker on describing contents and value to the customs folk. I know canadians pay quite a heavy import tax.

ps

I'm not associated to the Royal Mail in any way ;)

Chris I imagine there must be some sort of import duty but I've only shipped overseas to servicemen, all of my peeps live here in the USA. I do fill out a customs form when I send them. I'm sure there are people on the list who know more, but I've ordered jewelery from Scotland and I did not pay a duty on it.

Archived