Easy thread needles

I have heard everyone talk about the easy threading needles for burying threads, so I purchased a package the other day. (John James is the brand.) When I got home, I noticed that the price tag is over the instructions, and I can't peel it off without destroying the instructions in the process. I hate to appear really stupid, but I can't figure out how to thread the things. I googled, but no luck in getting instructions. I give up...how the heck do you thread them? Apparently, its not THAT easy!:o

Hi Lynn,

There is an opening at the end of the eye of the needle. Lay the thread across the top between the "prongs" and pull sharply. The thread will pop into the eye though a tiny opening and you are threaded. You won't be able to see the opening without a magnifier. I hope yours are the same configuration as the ones I purchase at Joanns--I use them a lot.

And you all make it sound easy....it's not!!

After all the talk of burying threads and judges, etc. I decided that is what I had to start doing. After trying repeatedly to "pop: the thread through the slit in the needle and breaking the thread - repeatedly, I gave up.....I'm good with backstitch. If one of my quilts ends up in front of a judge and they don't like it....too bad for me. :)

Mary Beth,

I had the same trouble with the needles I bought from the mail order company Miles Kimball. If you pull too hard or if the thread is thick the end of the needle shreds the thread. I saw some through Nancy's Notion where the opening was on the side of the eye instead of the end of the eye. I haven't seen them recently and I haven't tried to do a search on the website to see if they still have them. I tossed the catalog.

Charlotte

The first package of self threading needles that I purchsed are the Fons & Porter brand, and although the needles are various lengths, they seem to be fine, or in other words, thin. I didn't like them so purchased a package of 6 Easy Threading needles, Dritz brand, at the LQS, and they are a little heavier and easier to handle. Both brands are threaded by pulling the thread down over the top of the needle. After threading and pushing the needle into the quilt sandwich with the top of it out of the quilt, I will often pull it out with a pliers because I have a little trouble grabbing the needle tightly to pull it through.

If you find that you are shredding the thread when using an easy thread needle, then get some very fine wet/dry sandpaper and using the edge of it rub back and forth through the first eye to make it larger.

It also helps to smooth out any burrs. Bottomline likes to catch on any snag.

I have both Clover Brand and a cheapie and the big "crowbar" size cheapie works the best.

Although I am loving my long Doll needle with a big eye, I still need to use a needle threader sometimes.

Lyn

Archived