Thermore Batting

I have not tried it, but noticed in the Hobbs website it is a very thin poly intended for clothing and miniatures. I would be leary about using it with the longarm, since it is not intended for industrial machines. If you try it, you may need to lower your hopping foot, since the loft is thin.

Thermore is VERY thin, practically paper thin, and I'm not sure if there is even anything out there to compare it to. It is used for lining quilted clothing because it gives some shape to the garment, but not very much. You need to actually see it and try it in a small sample before you decide to put it into a quilt. I think it is not a good choice for a quilt. Quilting lines won't stand out in relief, and warmth-wise, the whole quilt would be about equal to three layers of cotton.

This is what Hobbs says:

" Thermore®

Thermore quilt batting, developed by Hobbs Bonded Fibers, his unique and patented product was developed as a thin, drapable, migration free polyester batt. Thermore® is now considered the premium polyester batting for apparel, miniatures and other projects requiring a thin, non-bearding batting. Thermore® can be quilted up to 6-8” apart and is wonderful to quilt by hand or machine."

I have 2 quilts with Thermore - hate it for quilts - no cuddle factor. It does quilt nicely and does drape nicely. Would keep it for clothing (provides reasonable warmth) and also an under layer of batting for wall hanging, etc.

I quilted a queen sized quilt with Thermore batting for a friend's mom that lives in Florida. She wanted something lightweight and cool. She said it was perfect with the Thermore in it. I had a few issues with loose tension and my hopping foot is only 1 business card (I already had to change it to that when I was having tension issues on everything else). She wanted me to wash it in my front load machine since she didn't have one, and after washing it, you couldn't tell there was ever any tension issues.

post--13461902838318_thumb.jpg

Cindy that is a gorgeous quilt.

I have used Thermore is several things, but it was mainly developed for garment quilting, and I have quilted several pieces to make vest fronts with it. Very light yet drappy. Its a good product, but it is VERY thin, and you have to be careful or you will pull it apart.

AnnHenry, I prewashed ALL the top and bottom fabric before piecing it. I took the picture BEFORE washing it as a whole quilt though. I guess it just worked for me on this one. It must have been the angle of taking the picture in the sun that shows the quilting so well. I do remember keeping the fabric pretty tight on the rollers when quilting it, and maybe that helped with making the quilting show more after the fabric was relaxed and off the rollers, too.

Thank you gals for the nice compliments. This lady actually said she wanted to be buried with this quilt wrapped around her!

I hope others have great luck with Thermore, too, if you're wanting a thin lightweight quilt.

Cindy I really really like this quilt and I have to say once again its gorgeous. Yes, I'm sure its pretty thin, but ya know I think thinner quilts are fab for warmer seasons...and should I ever have the time to make myself one, I will use Thermore. In the past I have used heavy flannel, but I like the look of this one best....

Archived