hobbs 80/20 or QD 70/30

I like the Hobbs. I think the quilting does show better. I love the softness after washing myself. The applique and trapunto also have a little more 'umph' to them.

I would say they are both pretty good products :) I've noticed the batting usage can almost be defined by regional areas of the US. Seems there are regions that are particular to specific brands, and I'm sure part of it has to do with cost to ship to their location, ease of obtaining the product, and simply what is popular in a specific area. Check out prices, shipping and try some of both...you'll have everything you need to make a good decision :)

Out here, Hobbs 80/20 is the least batting you can buy on a roll like I buy, so a lot of longarmers use it. However, I can't stand the feel of it. A friend who also doesn't like the feel said to her it is the same feeling as listening to fingernails on a blackboard. I agree that QD 70/30 is softer.

I use QD products exclusively as I love all of them. The wool is just yummy!

I haven't read it yet, but there's an interview article in the latest issue of On Track magazine, (IMQA) with Carey Hobbs, Mr. Hobbs himself. I just finished a quilt with Hobbs 80/20 and I agree, I don't like the feel of it when I'm working with it. Once it's inside the quilt sandwich, I can't tell a difference. I've never used it in any of my personal quilts. I read the label information and it's interesting. Here are some excerpts:

Why cotton?

80%cotton, and 20% polyester, creates a strong, long wearing batt and is very easy to work with.

...will give your quilts the flatter, more traditional look of antique quilts, without the need for excessive quilting...

close quilting will be very flat, and more space between the quilting will give a slight amount of loft...

...lightly needle punched and resinated with a soft resin to provide stability of the fiber and prevent the polyester from bearding...

...will shrink slightly to give the characteristics of antique quilts...

...provides warmth, yet it breathes for comfort...

...drapes beautifully, yet does not stretch during the quilting process or when hung...

...can be washed many times and tends to become softer and more beautiful with time.

In contrast, the QD 70/30 is actually 62.3% cotton, 26.7% polyester, and 11% polypropylene, all needlepunched with saw-like needles that interlace the fibers through the soft scrim base. The polyester fibers are fine and silky and that's what makes it feel so soft. ( info from label )

It must be the resinating process that gives the Hobbs its characteristic scratchiness. It's your call! I think it's a personal choice and preference.

Archived