Eleanor Burns Show

I just thought I would share something I heard on Ms. Burns show. I record them then watch when I have time. I like her style, just can't take her voice sometimes. I know she is a very nice lady, and very talented. But sometimes I can't take listening....anyway....

I was watching her show the quilts at the beginning of the show, where she sits on the floor and has a dozen quilts spread out showing the differences in the piceing. Most had edge to edge quilting...now I know this is not a machine quilting show but rather a piecing show.

Ms. Burns was showing the Orion Star pattern, and one quilt that was king size...she said, "It is much less expensive to pick an overall pattern then to select hand guided." :o What?! Does she really know what she is saying/said? So my first thought was any piecer watching this show is totally confused now. I know for me, I have spent the past 5 years teaching my customers the difference between custome and edge to edge. And this well known, well respected tv host and writer of quilt books make and innocent statement and we have to start all over teaching.

I know she meant to say edge to edge as opposed to custom, but that is not how it came out. Yikes...Maybe I should write to her and tell her the diffence so she can phrase it correctly the next time.

I guess it's no big deal but as a machine quilter my ears perked up.

Since I'm not a business quilter I don't understand how you are reading/hearing her statement: "It is much less expensive to pick an overall pattern then to select hand guided." I read that as "it is much less expensive to select an overall pattern than to select custom (hand guided).

I am assuming that the word was meant to be Than instead of Then. If it was Then, it means to me that the customer asks to have her overall pattern hand guided instead of machanical in any manner.

How did you hear/read it?

I see hand guided as hand guiding the machine head over the quilt sandwich, so that is either edge to edge/over all or custom. She should have said, "it is much less expensive to select an overall pattern than to select custom quilting". Because custom is what is more expensive, not the fact that it is hand guided. Because then you get into hand guided or computerized. Does that make sense? Custom is more expensive, if it is "hand guided" or computerized, but that is not what she said. She said hand guided.

I hear what you are saying, Mary Beth. Strange that she wouldn't know the difference. And if she just mispoke it's strange that she would not correct herself rather than leave the wrong thing out there and miseducate her students. I'm sure someone who knows her personally will mention it to her, tho!

I also have the shows recorded and watch when time permits. So I just watched the show in question and heard the same thing Mary Beth stated. I think Eleanor Burns did mean it is less expensive for LA quilting to choose overall or E2E rather than custom quilting, or as Mary Beth stated since E2E and custom can both be hand guided. The program name is "Orion's Star Part 2" and perhaps it would be appropriate to write to to the show and point out the mis-statement. I plan to do so, and here's the link to the show's web site to send an email.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/customerservice/email.asp?who=cs

I just wish our cable company would carry a quilting show. We used to get Fons and Porter but that's long gone. We have something called "Lap quilting or something" and all they do is visit shops all over the world. It's interesting but now what I want. I miss my "Love of Quilting"!!!

I went into our list of channels and typed int quilt or quilting and a few shows popped up, I didn't think I even got the channel, but sure enough, I set it to record and I do get it. Connie, the show you are talking about is Georgia Bonesteel or something like that...that show is a waste of time in my opinion....you know what they say about personal opinions :D

Most of my customers (San Diego, CA) kinda use "Overall" and "Edge to Edge" interchangeably. They also use "Hand Guided" and "Custom" interchangeably. Maybe this is just a geographical thing. I agree it's very confusing. I just try to clarify with my customers so I'm sure I know what they're talking about! Sometimes they mean a hand-guided overall (E2E) meaning freehand do-what-ever you want that's easy E2E! :o Since I don't have a computer, it's all hand-guided so-to-speak!:P

Eleanor Burns lives fairly close to me and I've met her on several occasions. She makes no bones about "quilting with her credit card!" She's a hoot. I like her and some of her rulers are really fun. I'm going to post a pic of a baby quilt on another topic that I used her scollop ruller to mark.

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

Most of my customers (San Diego, CA) kinda use "Overall" and "Edge to Edge" interchangeably. They also use "Hand Guided" and "Custom" interchangeably. Maybe this is just a geographical thing.

Yeah, all y'all Southern Californians talk funny for sure. ;)

I've not met Eleanor but I've watched her shows on QNN. I love her books! They are the best instructions and illustrations. She is so nice. I can only imagine how much fun she is in real life, nasal voice and all, that's OK by me. She may quilt with her credit card, but she laughs all the way to the bank! :cool:

I love quilters! This is the best world in which to live.

I did email Quilt in a Day yesterday and commented on Eleanor Burns' statement and received the following reply from Orion Burns:

"You are correct, She did mean to say something different. She meant to convey that selecting an overall pattern is less expensive than Custom. Although this is an error, I can not change it. Sorry."

Orion Burns

Shana,

I did meet Eleanor Burns at Paducah and if you ever get a chance to see her do it. She is a riot and very down to earth. She told us how her husband just walked out on her when she had two small boys. She did the PBS quilting show to help make ends meet. Boy, did she ever get the last laugh! I always learn something from her show.

Archived