Dumb beginner question

OK..so my friend has entrusted me with a couple small table toppers to quilt for her. I want to do bead board in the border of one of them, but I don't know how to measure out the lines so that they come out even. I understand the piano key border measuring, but the beadboard with the two lines of stitching has me confused. (Or am I just making this harder than it needs to be?) The quilt has cornerstones, so the beadboard will not involve going around corners.

Do you just measure out even increments, say two inches, and the first and last lines of stitching (which will be in the ditch) will be single lines of stitching, with the beadboard treatment on the interim lines of stitching? I just don't see how to get even spacing on this.

My friend is a beautiful piecer, and I don't want to mess this up.

Thanks.

Beadboard is basically like piano keys - except you have two stitching lines close together in stead of a single stitched line. Therefore, if you determine the measurements for piano keys, you will get you equally spaced lines pretty easily. The easiest way is to take a long piece of paper the length of your border (or to the point at either end where you want your last line of stitching) and fold in half, then in half again, half again until you have the spacing you want. These folds will represent your spacing down the length of the border. Instead of sewing according to the fold lines, you will stitch on either side of the fold line = the two lines equally spaced making a "beadboard" design. Hope this is a better explanation.

Here is a link to a quilt with a beadboard border:

example of beadboard border

Archived