Pricing Computer-Assisted Quilting Services

LadyLake

I think it is apples and oranges!

The only difference I have seen is some with CG systems start at 2 cents for overalls.

I have looked at it this way--there is much more cash outlay at the front end (beginning) with a CG system. First the huge cost of the system itself. Then the cost of designs. The purchased one cost cash and your own designs cost time (which as we all know, equals money!!;)) Once you have built your library of designs, the money coming in will eventually offset that initial cost. So at the back end, the more you use the system and the more times you use the same designs, the more money you can make. That said, if you go CG you probably should plan to be in it for the long run and get good at it--with an eye for appropriate designs for the quilt, a drafter's brain for placement of designs, and the ability to troubleshoot your own machine and computer if there are problems.

That last sentence is true as well for anyone who hand-guides.:o

Joan, I charge the same. You still have to load the quilt, plan your designs, check tension, etc. Every now and then I give my regular customers a discount on E2E for incentive. I love my IQ and they now make it for Lenni's. If they only could make an upgrade for it to load the quilt, I would be in heaven, LOL:cool::cool::cool:

Charge the same.......... Time wise - you will not save with the CG - and sometimes take longer. The benefit of course it the very accurate stitching. I find in some situations, the time for set-up takes longer - ie and E2E within a border - when you do free motion, your eyes are your guide you control your 'fudge quilting' at the end of a row whereas with the CG system, you will have to really watch to end the row or use 'clipping' and that entails an additional tie/bury of threads. It is all an exchange. Plus as Connie pointed out - all the basic activities are still a part of your quilting.

Where you might save some time is during quilting that does not have to be 'babysat' - such as an E2E that you can run off the edge. While the computer is handling your quilting, you can work on other things. You do want to remain close for the unexpected which you will be able to hear. You will also save time because since you do not have to physically mark your quilts with some sort of marker (chalk or blue marker, etc), you do not have marks to clean off. You instead mark using your machine/computer & that goes a bit quicker than marking with the chalk or blue marker. Overall, it is the exchange of time/outcome of the process.

Joan,

Only look at it from the customer perspective, consider this example.

As a customer you want something delivered across country. As the customer do you care if it was delivered via a manual transmission truck, or an automatic? The customer does not care about that. They do care about damage to their items, and quick delivery time.

The owner of a quilt top wants quality work in a timely manner. They do not care if the longarmer is working mornings or afternoons, is left handed or right handed, HAS A COMPURTERIZED MACHINE OR NOT. Not everything that we care about as a longarmer is value added to the customer.

So until a computerized longarmer brings more value to the customer, the customer is not going to pay more.

Victoria G

Hi Joan,

I charge the same, I just end up doing a lot more heirloom or over the top custom with the computerized system, so I end up charging more per quilt because I am doing a higher price per square inch type of quilting, not because of the actual "technique/equipment" used to get it done

Talk to you soon,

Archived