QZ IS HERE!

meg

Well, how lucky am I? I just got back from a great trip with hubby to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, and what is sitting in my kitchen when I get back? My Quiltazoid.

This will really motivate me to get through the piles of laundry so I can figure it out and play. Can't wait! ;)

Janice -

I am a newbie too and Heidi is absolutely right. She was kind enough to show me her QZ and even I get how it works. This is a minor miracle - I am not mechanically inclined nor have I been at this LAQ for long. (just got Lola in late November)

I decided to get the QZ cause I have been so exhausted trying to get the tension down (I'm coming along with tension - it is my own fault - I insist on using KingTut thread, which, I understand, is finicky) I would like to finally quilt something that looks acceptable and not be just another practice piece. I have done enough practice pieces to line every Humane Society cage in upstate New York!

Anyway, you could post here to see if someone in your area has a QZ to look at - maybe you'll get lucky like I did and someone will be willing to show you the ropes.

Just MHO.

Today is the big day that I get to put QZ together and get playing!

meg

Meg--Have lots of fun!!! And don't be afraind to try anything!! It took me a few months to try the tracing templates as I was too scared to try them--thought I had wasted my money!! But just go for it--and you have a SR which will make them even easier to use!!

Can't wait to see what you are coming up with--show us please--even if they are practice pieces!!!

Terri

hi terri -

i dont know how to post pics here. cant even get an avatar up. one of these days, i will enlist my tech saavy son to help me.

i gotta tell you - i am so excited about my qz i can barely stand it. i'm locking myself in the basement tonight and figuring it out.

thanks for all you help with my decision. you and heidi were both so generous with your time and expertise.

meg

i have finally surfaced from the bowels of my house - they tell me the sun was out today. never saw it!

i love the qz.

its just so darn user friendly it makes me feel like i might actually get this longarm quilting after all. i'm so encouraged.

had a problem when i went to hook it up last night - the directions and video say to use the cross hatch template to set the height. well, i didnt get any templates. so, i fooled with lola-baby's tension last night and called adam today. he told me i could just use a pencil to measure - and voila! i'm up and running.

how great is that video at explaining it all?

now if i could only get lola to be consistent with stitches!

i may be well on my way to becoming a master quiltazoider - but i am still in kindergarten when it comes to tension. but i remain undaunted!

thanks for checking on me and telling me about it - and heidi - thanks for showing it to me!! i just love it.

gotta make some dinner....my family is getting very used to sandwiches and eggs!

thanks again girls!

Meg,

So glad you are having fun!!!! That is key! See I told you you could do it no problem. I can't wait to see what you come up with! Tension will come, just keep playing. If you are around my area again give me a yell and we'll have some play time. I'm loading my quilt hopefully by this weekend. I have all the trapunto done and my designs all ready to go. I'll probably bust before I get to share...not until MQX though!

hi

meg - i have read shanas posts about tension and have tried them. i think i am just tension-challenged. i know i'll eventually get it - and i am a stubborn one cause i insist on using king tut/bottom line - finally broke down last night and ordered a towa. maybe that will help me.

kristina - it is TOO MUCH FUN. i'm like an idiot staring at the designs appear - cannot believe that it ends perfectly on the stitching line everytime. i guess i'll get used to it - but it amazes me.

heidi - did you get that gorgeous thing into mqx? i am dying to know. if so, congratulations to you. that was alot to get done in such short a time span.

my baby boy turns 16 today. i will be missing my lola-baby with her qz twist today, but for a good reason. we must celebrate his independence...and mine!

Meg,

I had problems with tension for the first year, I think, after I got my machine. I think we have a bonding time when we are getting acquainted. It takes time to get to know each other....but the Towa saved my life. I know some people like the drop bobbin method, but that little sucker drops and rolls across the floor for me and then my own tension starts to flare.

Have a good time with your new toy...these type of tools are addicting.

Archived