Pricing question on a Dear Jane....

Just wondering if any of you have quilted a Dear Jane before and could give me some guidance???

A friend of mine is finally finished the top....a 4-year project! She would like me to just SID around each block and do a bit of border quilting in the open spots. Then she really wants to try and do the individual blocks on her DSM. No problem. She would really like it completed by the show in May. If she can't handle the quilting, it will come back to me to do. I want to give her a price on that so she has an idea of what it would be.

I think there are 225 blocks in the quilt and then pieced pie-shaped blocks in the border (can't remember how many). At first I was trying to figure how many blocks could be quilted in an hour, then charging an hourly rate but I'm finding that hard to calculate. Now I'm leaning towards a straight fixed fee per block.

I'm also going to have to tell her that I'll need to know as soon as possible since it'll probably mean a solid week of quilting (at least???) and I can't put aside that much time with 2 shows coming up with out knowing for sure if I'm doing the quilt or not.

I've known for a couple of years that this quilt might come my way....and it terrified me! Now, I'm looking forward to it, go figure. I guess I've gained some of that confidence that you hear about!!!:cool:

I hope some of you chime in with any experience you have with Dear Janes.....thanks!

(P.S. I'm also thinking of giving her 2 prices...one for backtracking the starts and stops and one slightly higher for burying the threads since that would be a lot more work on this quilt)

I've never did a Dear Jane. I have a Civil War Diary quilt top which is 121 9inch blocks, I think the Dear Jane's are 6in. The tops are totally paper pieced and have lot's of bumps where all the pieces come together, so quilting can be a challenge. Mine CWD is going to be SID around the blocks. I have sashing and borders which will get a CW pattern. Others on here will give you price ideas but don't under price yourself, this quilt could take some time even if you just SID.

Have plenty of needles on hand.

Sandy,

I've never done a Dear Jane either. I did a Carol Doak Paper pieced 50 States star quilt and I did lots of SID. It is very time consuming (but worth it). I would make sure you give her a good range so that you don't short yourself. If she gives it back to you then that will mean even more work for you. Good luck and I sure hope we get to see pictures!

I've always admired the Dear Jane and thought someday I would make one :D:D:D That makes me laugh. I will need to check out the Civil War Diary Quilt...If they keep making bigger blocks my possibilities could get better :D

Sorry Sandra, I don't know what to tell you. SID should be a high fee...that is a lot of work. I know she is your friend, usually high quilting fees and friendships don't mix :)

I'm pretty sure the blocks on this quilt are 4". I'll have to check out what a Civil War Diary quilt is and the 50 states star quilt, they sound interesting.

Now I wish I had invested in a saddle stool, I bet it would make life a bit easier for jobs like this. Is it comfortable doing SID while sitting down????

Sandra,

I have no back and I can't imagine how I'd fall backwards off of it. It is a wide seat. I think though I would like to have a back just to take breaks. I don't know that I'd be able to really rest on the back while actually quilting. I have to get up close and personal with my quilt top, especially when doing my detail work.

I literally just took a Dear Jane off the frame last night!

The center is a classic Dear Jane with 169 four-inch blocks separated by half-inch sashing (!)

She did the ice cream cone border as well.

She added huge outer borders to make it measure 111" X 111" and will use it on her bed. I will post photos later after she picks it up.

Some blocks were pieced and some paper-pieced, but she was meticulous with her pressing, so in spite of some of the blocks having 30 pieces, it was flat and not hard to quilt.

She had a plan--I used R&S Baptist Fan pattern boards (the small width/single pass) to stitch the center. The outer-most sashing was SID. A BIG feathered swag with echo filled the ice cream cone borders.

She had some fancy stuff that needed curvey SID and a fill just outside the last big border, and then piano keys for the rest of the border.

I charged 3 cents an inch--it was on the frame for a week.

My recommendations? She will never be able to SID all the tiny pieces on her DSM. You will go blind or crazy trying to do the same. For the same amount of money you would need to charge to quilt it like that, she can sent it to Amish country and have it hand-quilted!

If you want to SID the blocks, instead SID the sashing--straight passes across and down. Much easier and she will get sashing stones in her design. Freestanding SID of each block will take forever (read--$$$ and time) so please charge accordingly. Remember as well, if hers is a classic, the edge will be scalloped and need extra care. Good luck--how fun! I know it is do-able. I love that these Janiacs are asking to have their masterpieces machine quilted!!

May I ask why she wants to quilt part on her DSM? Seems like since it will already be on your frame...and this will be entered in shows...the quilting should be consistent and done on the same machine! Just my opinion however. You will have more time and cost if she tries to quilt it and finds she can't, then you reload and try to get it all lined up...again.

No idea on pricing...but SID is highly priced...and time consuming. :)

I think she wants to attempt to do it on her own for the sentiment. She's put four years into it and wants to attempt to finish it on her own for the satisfaction, I think. She has a feeling that it will be too much to manage, but wants to try.....I'm sure I'll be seeing it on my machine!!! I used to hand-quilt for people....couldn't imagine doing this one by hand....so many seams.

Wow, Linda, what timing! Can't wait to see a picture, and thanks for all the tips.

I understand her sentiment about finishing it herself for the satisfaction in her mind. You might want to remind/reinforce her that when she finishes with the binding and label, she has made the quilt from start to finish! Would she figure she didn't do the whole quilt if she had someone do the pressing for her along the way? All you will be doing is "pressing" the layers together for her! I know that your work is much more than pressing, but it does not need to take away from her enjoyment and satisfaction of making this time consuming art piece.

It's time for me to go "press" a couple of prayer quilts together. Have a good time when you visit with her.

Wow, 4in blocks, that's a lot of work. Don't forget to check to see if she got all the paper removed. I think I messed up all together, my CW Diary quilt is 6in finished blocks. It took me a year to complete and that was working on it everyday. I need to get a friend to quilt it because I have a 10FT frame and its over 108inches wide with borders. After finishing the CW Diary, the designer came out with a "Love Letters from the Civil War" book and quilt design. I just didn't have the heart to start another 120 block quilt. Both books are great and you can get the CDs with the blocks that print up in EQ. I'm a Civil War Buff, growing up a couple miles from Gettysburg, we learned the Gettysburg address before the Pledge of Allegience.

What you expect to make for a week's worth of quilting is where you should start in pricing this. Since this took four years to make, I'd imagine that the longarm on it would take a long time too. Your client can't expect you to bargain down something so complicated and so valuable. Since you don't have experience with doing Dear Jane quilts, then keeping a time sheet recording all the hours and expenses is in order. I'll bet if Grammy Tammy could chime in here, she would probably tell you what would be the appropriate amount to charge. Start high in your pricing because these things are complex. You'd almost be better off not getting this job than being underpaid. Be sure to allow $50 to pay for chiropractic services when you are done. Good luck.

Vicki

Archived