How do you prepare

I'm looking for ways to make my time spent quilting more effective. Generally, I look at the quilt while loading it, but don't make many decisions about quilting until its actually loaded and ready to go.

Do most of you hang your next quilt on a design wall and determine the quilting before you even load it? Do you take a picture and draw on it (the picture, not the quilt;))?

What do you do to make your time more effecient?

prepare! what's that?

I usually load my quilt with a thought in mind...and then doodle on a clear plexi board till I can make my design work out. I usually end up changing my mind partway through...but continue on in proper fashion. I almost always 'see' something else when the quilt id completed. That is the part that I hate!

Last night, for the first time, I hung a quilt to look at, then ironed it to check the piecing and then laid it across the frame for the evening. I found myself thinking about it often (good thing I wasn't doing anything dangerous as my mind was wandering:P) and came up with what I hope will be a great quilting plan. Just being able to look at the whole thing at once was a huge benefit.

Now to see if I actually stick to the plan....;)

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Originally posted by DoryJM

Now to see if I actually stick to the plan....;)

If you are anything like me...you can't! :P

Let's hope you AREN'T anything like me!

Oh, no...lets hope I am like you. You have 6 million kids and you still get things done. I have only four-legged kids and I still "can't" get things done. I want to be like you...you're my hero....:D:P:D

Rebecca, you do that ahead of time?? I'm lucky if I see the whole quilt opened before I begin quilting on it.:D In fact, I've just realized that I have to start doing something with the quilts I have so that I make sure to give the quilt back to its rightful owner!!

Yes Dory! ..... I open the customer quilt or mine and take pictures right away to have on file, take notes, later I can print out a picture to draw on when I come up with an idea. This is easier for me then my big buck laptop, I can pull my drawing out when I think or dream of a design, sometime I will get up during the night to draw out my idea. lolo Here is a quilt of mine that I made a year & half and it is on the back burner until I get to it and I have my drawings to remind me of what I wanted to quilt.

Rebecca

post--13461903411379_thumb.jpg

I used very much the same method as Rebecca for quilts that change directions....that way I don't get lost and loose my train of thought. Those that are just E2E in some manner I didn't bother with, or others that had simple borders and a single body design, those I just did a side note on the take in sheet as to what the game plan is/was.

Originally posted by DoryJM

Oh, no...lets hope I am like you. You have 6 million kids and you still get things done. I have only four-legged kids and I still "can't" get things done. I want to be like you...you're my hero....:D:P:D

6 million kids! No wonder I am so tired.

Wow. I didn't know I was anybody's hero. How sweet. I am beginning to feel like Wonder Woman. Now where are my bracelets and glass airplane?

post--13461903446426_thumb.jpg

If the customer says--do what you think is best--and if I haven't a thought at the time of intake, that top will be hung up and studied a bit before loading. If I throw out some ideas at intake, I take thorough notes on the intake sheet including thread color choices. (I say thorough notes, since there have been a few times where I call the customer and ask them if they remember if we had a plan. Makes me look great, huh!?:P)

Also on the intake sheet I note the top pattern/colors/etc. so I have no trouble deciding which top belongs to who. Whom?

And the top-plus-stuff gets transfered to a handled paper bag with the customers name/month in line penciled on the outside. So far so good, but if there is a way to foul up this system, I will find it!;)

Archived