BEWARE I'm another victim from this forum ... WEBSHOTS...TROJAN HORSE

A foolish victim is what I should have said!!! I don't know why I didn't listen to everyones warnings?? Last week, I clicked on a photo link from this forum to Webshots. My Norton flashed a big waring about a TROJAN HORSE so I exited from the site...but it was tooooo late. I've lost my laptop. The link was from one of our VERY dear and VERY reputable friends on this forum. I did let her know and she was very gracious and took the link off. She is just another victim and had nothing to do with it personally. I thought I was safe but NOT!! Just thought I should warn everyone AGAIN!!! :(:(:(

Michelle,

I went to my own webshots last week on my laptop and it started flashing a warning. I unplugged everything, turned off my laptop and called my geeky stepson. He asked me what it was saying and told me to turn it back on and tell him. I did, but I didn't want to. He told me to press shift f4...and told me that this is a website designed to make you think you have a virus. He told me it is bogus. I went right back to using my laptop and it didn't hurt a thing.

I hope that yours was bogus too. And I really hope you didn't get this from my webshots. I'm sorry this happened to you, I know how much it scared me. I went right back to my webshots and have not had any other problems.

Sorry about your problems and the loss of your laptop. I also had problems and won't use a Webshots link any more. My IT son had to install lots of extra goodies on my computer and retrieve data for me a few weeks ago. He said nothing about a fake Trojan virus but said there is a lot of nasty stuff surging around now. He works for Washington State as an IT guy for our library system and knows his stuff--thankfully we pay him with home-cooked meals!:D

Linda...home-cooked meals :D:P I'm glad it didn't hurt your computer...or at least he was able to fix it. And I'm glad mine was as simple as F4. If Webshots is bad...so are all the others I would suspect, and as far as that goes...couldn't a trojan horse be here too. I don't know much about this kind of thing. I'm just thinking, it could be on any website...do you think?

I connected to Webshots thru a photo link on this forum. I didn't go to Webshots directly. Truthfully, I don't know if that had anything to do with it. The link was from a one of our dear friends and I don't want to mention names. She was VERY concerned and took the link off the APQS forum. All I know is that I won't go back...I should have listened to the other quilters. I went back through the forum to see how many people have said they received a virus from Webshots and there are enough to make me realize that something is not right. I just wish I was more knowledgeable about these thing. My Norton Antivirus picked up on it but it wasn't able to stop it. I'm really disappointed...I liked Wesbshots!!

My DS said the virus can come from any source. Mine seemed to be affecting a secondary link--like we would have here linking to a site from another site. I was having problems with searches on Google. I would enter "quilt pattern tennessee waltz" and up would come several quilt pattern sites to choose from. I would click on a pattern site and it would take me to "Tennessee Tourism" or "Learn to Waltz"--pretty funny except I couldn't get where I wanted to go. Luckily I didn't search for "vacations Brest France"--who knows where I might have ended up!!

I did get a "fatal error" prompt and managed to shut down. What a mess!

There are some links which simulate a virus scan and make it seem like you have a virus. It then asks you if you want to clean it. You can't close out of the link or close the website. I've gotten out of this by pressing the alt, ctl, delete and closing my entire browser. If you do click OK or Cancel, it will download the trojan.

Why are there such nasty people out there?

Linda, that is what I had. It looked like it was doing things to my hard drive and freaked. I called my son and my voice was shaking I was just freaking out....he was as cool as a cucumber. He just told me to turn it back on...I told him I was afraid to and he just kind of laughed and told me what you just said. That there are people out there that create things like this and then will give you an opportunity to pay monty to "help" you. So, I did what he said and there was not problem what-so-ever. I was on Webshots when that happened. Sure enough, there was nothing wrong with my computer and I was able to do what he said and keep searching.

These people need to get a job.

Fifteen years ago while taking a computer class from a local IT guru, he said that many viruses are created by the people who have the job to correct them...sometimes to ensure they have work, sometimes just to challenge themselves etc.

I had a couple things go wrong with my computer...the scam where they try to get you to buy their antivirus and some other problem where I was redirected every time I tried to search for something...I restarted in safeboot and tried to clean everything off, it worked for awhile and then more problems..I can't even get the computer to start now. I do have a back up hard drive and I am working on a laptop now, but hoping I can recover the other computer when I have some time.

oh im so sorry for you. what do u supposed causes a person to benasty like that?? what could the possible reward be? i just dont get it.

i was very lucky - i clicked on a webshots link the other day w/o thinking about it - norton popped up and gave me a prompt - i followed it and it said it had deleted a trojan horse. so far - all is well - i hope i'm outta the woods and not calling myself lucky prematurely.

hope you get it fixed and it doesnt set you back too much! :(

MYRNA

That was nice of you but I knew you had nothing to do with it!! It's the risk we take and the price of owning a computer. I've been to your Webshots many times and NEVER had a problem. I just don't understand this stuff but I don't blame YOU at all!! I wish I knew how to contact Webshots to inform them but I don't want to lose my other computer. If you are at the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival this weekend, I will stop by and say hello.

Originally posted by rrteach

There are some links which simulate a virus scan and make it seem like you have a virus. It then asks you if you want to clean it. You can't close out of the link or close the website. I've gotten out of this by pressing the alt, ctl, delete and closing my entire browser. If you do click OK or Cancel, it will download the trojan.

Why are there such nasty people out there?

I was just on Facebook looking at pictures posted by a friend of mine. I got the same message. Thanks to this post, I closed it down and ran a scan from my own anti virus software. So far things look OK.

Thanks for all the great advise.....It probably saved my computer and $$$$.

Archived