Alto QuiltCut 2

There was a discussion a while back about the QuiltCut but I can't find the thread. I have what I assume is the original version and to give you an honest answer it has been a complete waste of money. I know that there have been some changes made since I bought mine so it may or may not have improved. On mine the small plastic arm that is used to set the width of the strips is kind of flexible so the strips start out at the width that I intended but the finished product varies in width. I did contact the company way back and they sent me a replacement arm but it wasn't any better. I know that that particular piece has been changed and I was given the option later of updating at a cost. I decided that I didn't want to throw anymore money away than I already had. I would look a very carefully before you part with your money. It is also pretty heavy and cumbersome.

Sue

I have the original one but updated it several years ago. I put on the new guides, etc. - whatever came in the package for the update. However, I NEVER use it. I have no place to keep it set up and it gets real heavy moving it around. I also found that most of the time I was using the guide on the Alto QuiltCut and also using my regular ruler to check the measurement before cutting. My cutter just sits in a corner collecting dust.

I have the updated version too. Don't really care for it.

I have to place bags of lead on the ruler part so that it

won't move while I'm cutting. The company told me "they would fix it". I decided not to because of the cost of shipping. I still like to quilt too so I bought this new product. Love it.

If you are interested go to:

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com.

Anya,

I have the Guidelines ruler too and it is the best ruler that I have owned. It is very easy to cut straight and accurate strips and pieces. It is a much better solution than the QuiltCut and a fraction of the price too. Funny, I almost mentioned this ruler when I wrote about my QuiltCut earlier in this thread!

Sue

I have it and honestly I don't use it much but I do love the cutting matt and use it all the time! If I use the cutter itself I always put the bar down and then slip my ruler up next to it and slide the bar out of my way. I find otherwise I get some wonky cuts. Cutting squares into triangles is a good use for this tool though.

I have it and love it. It has made my cuts more accurate, but for some reason I tend to move my rulers while cutting. I have not had the problem with this cutter. Maybe I find it more stable. I agree it takes some room. I think it is like everything else it is personal preference. I tried before I bought it. If you are looking at it, find it at a show and try it. I don't buy alot of things without trying, except maybe the quiltazoid and the edge riders, but for stuff like that unless it is cheap I try before I buy.

I must be doing something different, because I'm not having any problems, but I have only had mine since last year so I have the upgraded one. I did notice that they had upgrade kits at the booth where I bought mine.

Shirley

This product falls into that rare category of so bad, I got rid of it. If something is slightly bad I generally keep it. Like Heidi said, I did like the cutting mat as a stand alone part. I gave the whole thing away to a guy at work whose wife wanted one. Saved him the money I lost.

Mary

Archived