a question

I'm an old member but but haven't posted much lately. How do you all charge for a quilts with issues? Have 2 quilts at the moment that are very poorly hand pieced-- I should have said no-way due to the poor piecing etc. Compassion took over and I accepted them as the lady was 90+ and her duaghter who was with her so proud of the quilter having made 34 quilts (obviously not a quilter). There is not a straight line anywhere on either of these quilts and on one there are border protrusions over 4 inches, the pieces are actually gathered here and there and not one piece meets at a corner, some of the piecing stitching is over 1/2 inch. . Be glad to post photos. I told them I would quilt them the best I could with an overall from the front so I could control the fabric and not have my foot hung up. I'm also charging her the min. This person was referred from a fellow quilter who told her that she would no longer be quilting. The quilter I don't know well--have met her briefly. Not sure if she was telling her that to save feelings and she just would no longer accept her awful quilts. Am planning on giving her lots of info on how to prepare a quilt for a longarmer when I return these 2 quilts including details of possible extra charges in the future. I tend to give people one chance before I charge for straightening. pressing etc.

Hi Jeri,

Last year i had a very "challanged" quilt handed to me by a lovely elderly lady, wonky as all get out with holes where seams just didnt meet. The borders were so friendly I ended up taking them off and refitting them so while I was at the domestic I fixed the holes/seams aswell.

The surprising thing was that it ended up nearly square!

The quilt was made for her granddaughter and she was so happy when she picked it up it was worth the extra effort on my part. The warm and fuzzy feeling I got was bonus enough.

And yes, I politely told her the importance of the 1/4" seam and a tape measure lol

Acts of kindness dont make you rich but sure do make you feel good!

Cheers Satu

p.s

I've heard on the grapevine that shes working on another ......will deal with that when/if I ever see it ;)

Yup, I'm figuring that 90+ she's not going to be very receptive to constructive critisim

though I will add my prepring a quilt for quilting info in what I return to her.

Maybe her daughter will pay attn to it . Do you charge extra or just bite the dust? I don"t fix as it would mean taking apart the whole dang quilt and it would obvioiusly be machine pieced. Pieced with 2 strands of embroidery thread. I wasn't able to get this one any where close to square (floated the top ) but hopefully it won't now fall apart if it is washed--child's quilt. I just took it off the machine and it looks pretty good except the few puckers I couldn't avoid due to excessive fabric. . Of course I'll l charge her what I quoted but I'm thinking for the future .

I did refuse to do bindings as the borders are totally wonky and I knew they wouldn't like the price.

thanks jeri

I would tread very lightly on this issue. At 90+ she has lost a good deal of the skills she once possessed. She makes these quilts to feel useful and to give something of herself to her children and grandchildren. My Mom was 95 when she died, and at 90 she took up making some really awful crafts that she pressed on everyone who came anywhere near her. Now that she is gone, I wish I had been a bit more enthusiastic about these gifts as I now realize she had very little else in her life that she could still do and these things gave her a sense of still being useful. At 90+, how many awful quilts does she still have in her? I'd quilt it as best I could, thank her for her business, find something to compliment (colors, pattern, something) and send her on her way happy.

Remember "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I always tried to remind myself when I got an "ugly" quilt or a problem quilt that it isn't what I saw in the quilt but what the quilt maker saw. But it still doesn't change the facts:o but I tried hard...I think I failed on several occasions :o:o Just do your best and she will love it. As for charging more, it really depends how much longer you end up taking. You have to remember you are in a business to make money, charity is good and heart warming to give, but it doesn't pay the bills. So you may lose money the first time around, the second time you will know how long it will probably take and charge accordingly.

I had some customers that I knew I would never get a flat or square quilt from them...it was just their style...LOL...got to love them.

I have a couple of customers like this and I just do the best I can on their tops. Yes, they are not flat, have pleats, etc. I do look out for any open seams and try to avoid them. I am not the quilt police, so I do some sort of freehand design from the front and try to avoid the worst areas. I don't charge extra. It used to bother me that these quilts were not perfect and did not show off my skills as a quilter. I decided that was my problem, not the piecers'.:P

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

I had the same situation last week. This lady is 90+ and had 2 tops that she wanted quilted for her grandchildren. She is also a relative. I am not in business but you know how it is with family. I almost choked when I put them on the floor. One had a border that was 9" longer on one side. For me it was easier to take the borders off than to fight with them on the machine. The second was a crazy quilt that needed work all over. I had to take 6" out of the middle to get it to even think about going on the machine. They had a few places that had fullness after they were quilted but overall looked much better than I thought they would. She was extremely pleased when she came to pick them up. My husband laughed and said that she would probably go home and piece several more for me since they looked so good. I am a sucker for the elderly too. They are at least keeping busy. I just hope that I am able to quilt when I am 90+.

I agree with Lynn and like Libby, I too am a sucker. These grand ole' gals bring their tops to me and are so proud of their accomplishment; I melt like butter. I know that top once quilted is going to go to one of their loved ones who is going to charish it. So I do the best I can, usually end up not making anything for all my time and efforts. But it is all worth it when I see their faces light up and how much they appreciate my efforts. That is enough payment for me.

Originally posted by LibbyG

I'm a sucker for the elderly. I would just do the best I could, probably fix what I could, and would never charge her. But I'm not in a business, so it's different for me.

One of my dearest customers is an elderly woman. She has had some major surgeries on joints this past year (knee and recently shoulder). She loves to sew and makes most lovely quilt tops. She is still recovering from her shoulder surgery and having difficulties lifting her arm at all. She called the other day in a lot of pain and her son was taking her to the doctor. I hope I am as lovely as she is when I am her age. She is a a sweet heart. I help her out as much as I can getting her tops finished (e.g. machine sewing on the binding both sides). I do extra stuff for her that I don't charge for (such as a small baby quilt- no charge) It's OK. I want to do it. And I can so there! :)

Archived