Reloading bobbins and starting again

When I took my 1st quilt off of the machine, I noticed a lot of thread build up where I would start a new bobbin. How many stitches does it take to secure the thread and still look nice on the back?

And along the same lines, do you switch to a full bobbin every time you do a row of a panto? The last panto I did was Clematis and the pattern is about 13" wide, so one bobbin lasted about 44 inches across the quilt.

i think it was heidi who told me that she knots and buries her thread rather than locking stitches. her work looks so nice maybe thats what you should try next time. altho i have to say that the quilt u just postede looks great to me.

i thought that i would use those sticky paper colored circles that you can get at the dollar store to mark where i start and stop so i can knot and bury after i take the quilt off the frame. this seems like a good thing to do when im sitting at soccer games. i think binding and that will keep me nice and busy all spring and summer!

i think so and make sure to use a self threading needle. makes it go much easier.

of course, at the beginning of a row you can use locking stitches cause they wont show under the binding. but i think this is the 'proper' way to handle stops and starts that are not going to be hidden cause they are in the middle of the quilt.

check back later - im sure heidi will clarify this when she sees it and she knows more than i do.

also - i sent u a u2u.

Meg yes it was I that told you I knot and bury. I bring my bobbin thread up to the top, hold onto bother threads and stitch about 1". I usually knot and bury as I go os that I don't have a lot of thread tails at the end. It only takes seconds and I like that my threads are always secure. I don't have to worry about slippery threads coming undone. When I'm ready to knot and bury I tie a knot using both threads. Use a needle to get the knot down close to the top. Then I use a self threading needle and pull the thread under at least 1". Pull the knot through and while still holding onto the threads I cut right at the quilt. I use the little curved scissors so no worry to cut the quilt.

Archived