Zippers - what have I done?

Hi

I've been working on putting on my new leaders and zippers and I think I've made a mistake.

I zipper used for the pickup roll has two parts - one marked # 1 pickup roll and one marked # 2 top fabric roller.

I attached the # 1 pickup roller half of the zipper to the pickup roller leader - I think that's right.

Then I attached the other half of that zipper called the # 2 top fabric roller to a 6" piece of fabric that I can pin my quilt to and zipped the #1 pickup roller half of the zipper to the #2 top fabric roller piece that's 6inches wide.

Was the # 2 top fabric roller half of that zipper supposed to go somewhere else? I've read the instructions over and over again and am still not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Mercedes

There should be 3 zippers (6 halves). 3 would go on the rollers (1 for the backing roller, 1 for the pickup roller for the backing and 1 for the quilt top roller). The other three halves would go on the top and bottom of the backing fabric and one would go on the quilt top fabric. Does that help at all? I don't know anything about the #'s. Sorry.

Well, that doesn't help me.

The first zipper I was trying to install onto the leaders was for the pickup roller. I cut the pickup roller leader so I'd have a 6" wide piece of fabric the length of the leader.

I attached the first half of the #1 pickup roller zipper to the pickup roller leader.

Then I attached the bottom half of that same zipper - the # 2 top fabric roller zipper to the 6" wide piece of leader and zipped them both together. I though I could then pin my quilt to the 6" wide piece of leader and easily unzip it when I needed to remove the quilt.

After reading the instructions serveral more times, I think the #2 top fabric roller zipper half was supposed to go somewhere else?

I feel pretty stupid at this point but don't want to anymore leaders or zippers until I'm sure I got this one right? Thanks...Mercedes

Thanks for the links - I already have these and the instructions from

Sunrise Quilt studio but am still having the same issue. Knowing exactly which zipper pieces go to what? Every instruction has different names for the rollers and the zippers and I guess you're just supposed to know but I don't.

I've been working on this all day, non stop. Am I the only newbie who feels embarassed that they just don't get it.

And here I thought I would be sewing away with my zippers by this time today - boy was in for a surprise. Mercedes

Hi Krista,

Which one is the quilt top leader, In the APQS book, standing in front of the machine, they named the rollers like this:

1. Backing Roller

2. Quilt top Roller

3. Leveler bar

4. Quilt top roller

They actually have two named Quilt top roller. My problem is that none of these names match the names in any of the instructions for installing the zippers and the pictures aren't big enough to know which roller they're showing. Mercedes

Hello,

I just had to jump in here on this. I have zippers and they are not on the frame yet. But thats just because I haven't done it yet. But..... I was where you are for a long time; I just didn't get it. I think I understand it pretty much now, so let me add to your confusion;). OK, you have three whole(2 sides make a whole) zippers. 1 piece of zipper (2 pieces)#1 will go on the take up roller where you roll to after quilting. The other half of zipper #1 will go on the backing that is attached to the take up roller. Zipper #2 (2 pieces) - one piece will go on the backing roller on the freehand side of the frame. The other half of #2 will go on the backing fabric where it is attached to the backing roller. And finally #3 first piece (still working with two pieces) is attached to the quilt top roller and the other half to the quilt top . Did I miss anything and are you really confused now.:P

Hi Mercedes--sorry for your problems.

Janice gave such clear instructions above--they should be included in the package!

Just to echo her and give some clarity, ignore the numbers for the rollers/leaders and think of them this way--

Zip the pairs of zipper together so you have three full zippers.

With each set, one half is sewn to the leader and the other half is pinned/sewn to fabric.

Choose one set and mark both halves "front top" with one half sewn to the front roller leader that holds the quilt top. The other half is set aside.

Next set mark both halves "rear backer" and sew one half to the back take-up leader with the other half set aside.

Third set mark both halves "front backer" and sew one half to the front roller leader meant for the backer.

Sew all three halves so they zip in the same direction--hopefully with the zipper pull facing up.:D And all three will match up since you started with them zipped together.

Now you have three marked half-zippers to pin/sew on the top (one set) and the backer (two sets). All you need to remember is to pin the fabric on right-side up!

To add more confusion, if you float the top, you will only need zippers for the backer.

(I don't have the zippers on my machine, but I do have a set sitting in a drawer. Anybody want to purchase zippers for a 14' table?)

Hi Janice,

Yep, I'm really confused now. I have no clue now what goes where. So let me try and figures this out:

"OK, you have three whole(2 sides make a whole) zippers. " Yes, that's what I have.

"1 piece of zipper (2 pieces)#1 will go on the take up roller where you roll to after quilting." I have that one attached correctly.

" The other half of zipper #1 will go on the backing that is attached to the take up roller."

What do you mean the backing - is that a roller or backing fabric or??

"Zipper #2 (2 pieces) - one piece will go on the backing roller on the freehand side of the frame". That would be the first roller standing in front of the machine.

"The other half of #2 will go on the backing fabric where it is attached to the backing roller." I don't understand this.

" And finally #3 first piece (still working with two pieces) is attached to the quilt top roller and the other half to the quilt top . I don't understand this either.

I've never used zippers before, maybe I just don't understand how they're supposed to work. I thought I would be able to take the whole quilt (top, batting, backing) and using one zipper, zip all three of these pieces onto a leader. Apparently that's not the way it works. Can someone explain to me how the zippers work - maybe if I know that, I can figure out how to attach them. You should see my "red face" now, talk about being embarassed before, I'm really red now.

Thanks....Mercedes

I am feeling for you Mercedes. Hang on!!

Try this---pin all three zippers (zipped together) to your leaders with the zipper tabs on top when the leader is holding the fabric.

Take a piece of fabric--pretend it is the backer fabric for a top--and pin one edge of it to the zipper on the front leader and the other edge to the zipper edge on the take-up roller leader--JUST AS IF IT IS LOADED TO QUILT. (sorry--not shouting, just stressing the words!)

Take another piece of fabric--now the quilt top--and pin it to the edge of the zipper that is on the front leader where you would normally load the quilt top.

That's the set-up you want to finish with.

Mark right on the zippers where they go--"Quilt top"--only one zipper.

"Quilt backer front" and "Quilt backer rear". Sew them on. Smile and start quilting!! You can do this!:)

I'm going to print this thread out and see if I can pin the zippers on first (after all I've already ripped them out once :D )- dont' want to do that again.

I'll see what I end up with after I get them pinned. I've been working on this non-stop since 7:30 this morning and it's now 7:30pm. Yikes!

Thanks everyone....Mercedes

Archived