Totally NQR - Family Tree

Have any of you ever tried to create your family tree? Wow, it is so much fun....but really difficult. My mom will be 80 years old in August. I have post her story in my blog, but her father was deported back to England (he grew up in Canada)when my mom was 8 years old. He had 2 daughters when he lived in Canada, but when he crossed the border, mysteriously his name changed to an alias ;) Anyway, my mom has always wondered about her half sisters. Since she was an only child, she always had a desire to know them.

I have found that it is so much easier to go backward, than it is to go forward in history.

I have found the 2 sisters....finally....and found that one passed away in or about 1970. Since my mom will be 80, the chances of the other sister still living would be remarkable. But wouldn't that be cooler than heck?!

Just thought I would share....this has been a fun journey...can't wait to share what I know with my mom in August at her birthday....don't you think this is a great gift for a woman that has everything?

Hey Mary Beth! That would be an amazing gift to give her!! I used to have software on the computer and was able to trace back 8 generations of my dad's side of the family, so that was pretty cool. Hope your investigations lead to some great discoveries!

I always thought my grandmother on my mom's side came thru Ellis Island from Poland and after my mom died in august I found out grandma came over on a gypsy boat all by herself at 14 and her uncle met her. Her mother put her on the gypsy boat in Poland. I wish I would have talked to my mom and dad about their past before they died. It is so interesting.

Carreen

Have fun Mary Beth! I enjoyed tracing my Irish heritage back to Ireland. I learned a lot of things about my Greats in my family tree. I wasn't able to trace my Native American heritage back too far. Keep a record of everything you find out and pass it on, your future greats will appreciate it.

Guest Linda S

I started on mine once but didn't get very far. I may give it a go sometimes. I do know a few things about my dad's side of the family, but not much about my mom's.

Linda

We have one branch of my husbands family back to village of Matre in Norway around 1600 (it may be an earlier date). And my Grandmothers side back to Jacob Hockstettler coming over on the boat with William Penn. We haven't had to do the research because someone else was interested in the family tree. I also have names of distant relatives and what battle they died in during the Civil War. It is pretty cool stuff.

Good luck on researching your family tree! It will be fun for you to see what your past holds. I know your Mom will enjoy it too.

I'm using Ancestry.com and have been able to locate quite a few family memebers in England on my grandfather's father's side....Plus, some of the people on Ancestry.com have found more info and posted it which allows me to take a look and see if it actually is my relatives. Pretty cool. The part I don't like about ancestry.com is that there are tiers. I have purchased the lowest tier, but if I get the premium I might be able to get more info :mad: That tweaks me...I guess the "church" needs to make more money some how.

Fortunately I have some relatives that have done extensive research on my father's side of family history.

I was given a postcard album two weeks ago with postcards from 1904 onwards from aroud the world. ( Two of my sisters were cleaning out mum's house and put it in the box of things for me!)

On reading my family history I found out that my Paternal Grandmother's father was a Mariner and used to Captain boats around the world. There are some very interesting postcards in the collection, and lots more still to read.

Lyn

My husbands family has traced his family back to the early 1700's. His Grandfather (7 times removed) came here as a prisoner. He was given the choice of coming to the colonies or dying. We also know that the Lyons are connected to Glamis Castle where the Queen Mother grew up. His family is really interesting. My family came over here from "Prussia" in the late 1700's also. I had to quit following it till I retire as you get so drawn into it the time just pases and you find you missed bed time. Have fun Mary Beth, your Mom will be thrilled. Does she know about the sister that died or are you saving all information till her birthday?

Mary Beth,

I got interested in tracing my family tree back several years ago when I found some information in my mom's stuff when she passed away. Her maiden name was Stewart and we can go back to the 1600's here but then there is a missing piece about how it goes back to either Ireland or Scotland but can find records going back there to the royals. I would love to find out that little missing piece though...

All that to say, I found a great resource in the DAR Museum here in Washington DC as they have a geneological research library that is huge and has literally two floors of resources. If you go online with them you may be able to find out something using family names and places and I was able to copy some pages from books, and they may be able to provide the same for you....just a thought.

Good luck, what a neat idea for a present!

Another great source for information is genforum.com. Search your family name or post any questions and you get tons of answers.

I've traced my families back to 1524 in Scotland on my dad's side (Anne Jarvis founder of mother's day is also on the list) and C'Zanne on my mom's side. It really is fun to find information.

What a fun and interesting topic. My maternal grandmother was adopted so we have no way of tracing her ancestors we have tried many times. I have had no contact with my father's family since I was about 10 and wouldn't even know where to start looking for them. I do know that my mom's dad's family came from Prussia but that is all. Good luck with your search Mary Beth. What a wonderful gift to give yourself and your mom

This is really a wonderful gift to your Mom!

My Grandma's maiden name was Lyons. She was from Canada and came to the U.S. by wagon at 8 years old.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that ancestry.com, although based in Utah, is funded by The CHurch of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. The LDS Church does have free geneological services available which can be found on FamilySearch.org.

hope this helps!

:) Raechel

Archived