Bias Binding

Sure hope someone can help me. I make my own bias binding, two inches wide, fold in half, press, sew to back of quilt, flip to front and finish sewing.

Well, I bought one of those machines to make bias and that is my problem. It make single fold bias. Did not notice that when I bought it. I tried to use the single fold, but ended up removing it from the quilt. I just could not get it to look right, more trouble than it was worth.

I like the machine but not the single fold bias. How do you apply single fold bias to a quilt? :o

Pat in SE GA :(

I bought both binding rulers at MQS. One which measures for you at the end of applying it to the quilt, and it finishes it out perfect every time. $10

The other ruler folds in half for storage, but you can use it to cut perfect 2 1/2" binding, straight or on the bias, including the tip cuts, so when you assemble them together, it's lines up perfect every time!!! $18

I'll have to get the ruler, and find the website for you. It's printed on the larger ruler.

Originally posted by PattyC

Sure hope someone can help me. I make my own bias binding, two inches wide, fold in half, press, sew to back of quilt, flip to front and finish sewing.

Well, I bought one of those machines to make bias and that is my problem. It make single fold bias. Did not notice that when I bought it. I tried to use the single fold, but ended up removing it from the quilt. I just could not get it to look right, more trouble than it was worth.

I like the machine but not the single fold bias. How do you apply single fold bias to a quilt? :o

Pat in SE GA :(

Go back and get the binding tip that does the double binding fold. They have two. One for 2" cuts or 2.5" cut fabric. Love mine a fast tool to have for sure.

I also have this machine and love it! You cut strips to the desired tip width and sew them together to your desired length and can make up 10 or 11 yards of folded and ironed single or double folded binding in a matter of minutes. I purchased the tips at 50% off and/or buy one get one free at JoAnn's Fabrics. I believe they also make a machine that cuts the strips yet I have not used that one.

Sylvia, you and I should get together, I love doing the binding! I know, I know, very sick, isn't it. I have another friend who lives in Arizona who absolutely detests doing the binding and we have a lot of laughs about it. :P:P:P:P I'll have to check out this machine too, sounds really helpful! :cool:

I learned this method when I learned to make braided wool rugs, as the strips of wool are folded like bias tape before you do the braiding.

Fold the strip into position and thread it through the two pins (or place the pins after it is in position). Then iron between the pins. You can work faster if the strip is perpendicular to the edge of the ironing board. Set the iron on the strip and pull. Of course, you have to lift the iron occasionally so as not to scorch the ironing board cover.

This strip was 2 1/4" wide which is wider than I usually use with this technique, but is the width I cut for my binding. I don't use this method for my quilts; I always use a double-fold bias (French) binding instead because I noticed that the single layer binding on antique quilts always seems to be the "first thing to go," and I want a good solid binding for my quilt. I do use this method whenever I want "regular" bias tape.

post--13461904188138_thumb.jpg

I use the same method as posted by AnnHenry. It takes about two or three minutes to make yards and yards of binding and doesn't cost a thing! I love gadgets too but I save my pennies for the ones that really make my life easier! With the pin method you don't have any burned fingers either!

Linda, come on down south. I'll house you, feed you, pamper you, take you to all the wonderful places around here - whatever it takes to get this binding done! Now having said that, I don't make my binding like that. I make double fold but folding binding down the middle, stitching it to the front, folding to the back and then hand stitching it down - yulk! I hate hand sewing. I can make it look good but I don't like it!:(

Archived