Challenge Project is...well...Challenging

Our guild does a challenge project each year. I rarely play, as they often pick some really off-the-wall fabric. However, this year, I thought that if I made something with the fabric and it turned out halfway decently, I could then quilt it beautifully (she says, modestly;)) and take it to quilt shops to show them so that they would put my card in their shops and recommend me to their customers. Win, win...right???

This was my start: (the challenge fabric is the background and the center of the star...its supposed to be planets or stars or something)

post--13461904205305_thumb.jpg

And this is what it looks like finished. (Sorry for the backlight--there's a bright light in the sky wreaking havoc on the lighting in the yurt).

My problem...its a tad busy for quilting to show! Best laid plans, right??

Any quilting suggestions...anything????

post--13461904205562_thumb.jpg

How about some shooting star rays coming out from the centre tothe very edge, but not over the blue outer squares.

You could then infill every other ray with a freehand fill.

Circular cosmos or spiral in the outer blue squares.

You could bead some of the print stars when finished.

Lyn

I don't think we even had a size requirement...something smaller though, like maybe 120" around. Want me to send it to you??

Susanne...great idea! Now...what should I quilt on it. I was originally wanting to do feathers, etc., and maybe I can since the backing would be plain???

Dory,

I like what you have done. Have you thought about doing some trapunto? That would make the area pop a whole lot more and then you could micro stipple the background down and then you would really see it. I know you want to do feathers but I see trapuntoed stars in the outside border. Maybe add the feathers in the light blue areas as those would show it. Also using silver thread would help for the design to show.

Archived