LIBERTY... questions...

I am thinking of purchasing a Liberty machine and would like to have some feed back from those of you that have a Liberty or have had dealings with a Liberty machine.:)

What "pro's and con's " can you tell me?

It has a 10' Lexan table with feed advance. Any comments on that?

Can a 10' table quilt a King quilt?

What size room would I need to accommodate this machine?

Since I am new at purchasing a long arm (but have used several rental machines) I would like to get some advise on this machine before purchase. I am not in the state where this machine is and can not test drive prior to purchase. :(

Any comments would be appreciated.

I am thinking of purchasing a Liberty machine and would like to have some feed back from those of you that have a Liberty or have had dealings with a Liberty machine.:)

What "pro's and con's " can you tell me?

It has a 10' Lexan table with feed advance. Any comments on that?

Can a 10' table quilt a King quilt?

What size room would I need to accommodate this machine?

Since I am new at purchasing a long arm (but have used several rental machines) I would like to get some advise on this machine before purchase. I am not in the state where this machine is and can not test drive prior to purchase. :(

Any comments would be appreciated.

If I were purchasing from out of state I would contact seller, schedule a time to pick it up, but I would put in a stipulation that I wanted to test drive it before making any final decisions.

When I sold my machine I allowed the buyer to drive to my house, work on the machine, and then decide if it was the right one for them. She purchased the machine, but she felt more comfortable about coming and purchaseing it knowing that if it was "crap" she did not have to buy it and I would give her back her down payment.

If I were purchasing from out of state I would contact seller, schedule a time to pick it up, but I would put in a stipulation that I wanted to test drive it before making any final decisions.

When I sold my machine I allowed the buyer to drive to my house, work on the machine, and then decide if it was the right one for them. She purchased the machine, but she felt more comfortable about coming and purchaseing it knowing that if it was "crap" she did not have to buy it and I would give her back her down payment.

I purchased my Liberty because I only planned to quilt for myself, so I felt I didn't need a larger machine. Also health problems made the small machine seem more manageable to me. The apqs table is fabulous! It was one of the features that sold me on the machine. The stitch regulator is the best in my opinion. I never have to worry about inconsistent stitch. They are always perfect. Where are you located? Maybe there is someone near you who owns a liberty and wouldn't mind you giving it a test drive.

Carol

I purchased my Liberty because I only planned to quilt for myself, so I felt I didn't need a larger machine. Also health problems made the small machine seem more manageable to me. The apqs table is fabulous! It was one of the features that sold me on the machine. The stitch regulator is the best in my opinion. I never have to worry about inconsistent stitch. They are always perfect. Where are you located? Maybe there is someone near you who owns a liberty and wouldn't mind you giving it a test drive.

Carol

Guest Linda S

I have a Liberty, which I dearly love. I'm not sure you'll get a king sized quilt on a 10' table. You should also keep in mind that, which the Liberty is called a longarm, you will end up with only approximately 11" of quilting space. Once you have the quilt top roller bar (this is removable if you "float" your quilts) and the leveler bar (you need this), you lose quite a bit of that 20" throat. I have a 14' table and have done several king sized quilts. If you can fit a king sized on a 10' frame, you definitely will not be able to move the machine head off the quilt while it's on the table.

Linda

Guest Linda S

I have a Liberty, which I dearly love. I'm not sure you'll get a king sized quilt on a 10' table. You should also keep in mind that, which the Liberty is called a longarm, you will end up with only approximately 11" of quilting space. Once you have the quilt top roller bar (this is removable if you "float" your quilts) and the leveler bar (you need this), you lose quite a bit of that 20" throat. I have a 14' table and have done several king sized quilts. If you can fit a king sized on a 10' frame, you definitely will not be able to move the machine head off the quilt while it's on the table.

Linda

I have a Liberty on a 12ft table and can do a king size quilt but the backing fabric (needing to be 6-8" larger than the quilt top) takes up all of my leaders. You won't be able to quilt a king size on a 10ft table, the largest would be a queen size quilt.

I like my Liberty, I don't have to stretch to reach from front to back of the machine like you would need to with a Millie. It has served me well for the past 5 years.

I have a Liberty on a 12ft table and can do a king size quilt but the backing fabric (needing to be 6-8" larger than the quilt top) takes up all of my leaders. You won't be able to quilt a king size on a 10ft table, the largest would be a queen size quilt.

I like my Liberty, I don't have to stretch to reach from front to back of the machine like you would need to with a Millie. It has served me well for the past 5 years.

I just moved my LIbby to a 10 ft table. Did the largest possible quilt today which was 94" in width, backing at 100". I find the Libby much easier to do custom with, less fatique as it's lighter. While you have to be careful on panto sizes and it can limit you at times I have way more pantos than needed. In fact, I have to limit what I show customers or there's too much to choose from.

Like Joann mentioned, you don't need to walk around to reach the front (but I'm 5'6" so it's easy) and can flip the 'lock' off the front roller when advancing with no problem. Can also easily lock thread even when at the back. Do like the larger quilt space the Millie offers but even there, with custom you really don't use all that space.

Do have to say I love my Liberty and it's a great machine. Hope this helped.

I just moved my LIbby to a 10 ft table. Did the largest possible quilt today which was 94" in width, backing at 100". I find the Libby much easier to do custom with, less fatique as it's lighter. While you have to be careful on panto sizes and it can limit you at times I have way more pantos than needed. In fact, I have to limit what I show customers or there's too much to choose from.

Like Joann mentioned, you don't need to walk around to reach the front (but I'm 5'6" so it's easy) and can flip the 'lock' off the front roller when advancing with no problem. Can also easily lock thread even when at the back. Do like the larger quilt space the Millie offers but even there, with custom you really don't use all that space.

Do have to say I love my Liberty and it's a great machine. Hope this helped.

Hi.

Where are you located? There could be an owner or show nearby. I have had my Liberty since 2007 and have enjoyed it tremendously. The lexan table is just a support for your paper pantos or Circle Lord (a seperate pattern maker that uses rugged templates you follow with a stylis), if you get one.

The Liberty is almost the same as the Milly, but smaller and no thread cutter. The auto advance is great. Not sure how I'd quilt without it.

Once you have the set up, you can get longer poles from APQS. I doubt the 10' poles are long enough for a king. The ends of the table hold any length poles. Ask APQS about getting longer ones if you need them.

Size of the room: allow 3 to 5 feet all around for a comfy work area. You can always butt one end up against the wall, if needed.

Personally, I would not buy a used machine with out trying it...or a demo of it somewhere. LA's are like cars...you've got to drive it to see if you like it and if it fits you.

Best of luck with your decision.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

Hi.

Where are you located? There could be an owner or show nearby. I have had my Liberty since 2007 and have enjoyed it tremendously. The lexan table is just a support for your paper pantos or Circle Lord (a seperate pattern maker that uses rugged templates you follow with a stylis), if you get one.

The Liberty is almost the same as the Milly, but smaller and no thread cutter. The auto advance is great. Not sure how I'd quilt without it.

Once you have the set up, you can get longer poles from APQS. I doubt the 10' poles are long enough for a king. The ends of the table hold any length poles. Ask APQS about getting longer ones if you need them.

Size of the room: allow 3 to 5 feet all around for a comfy work area. You can always butt one end up against the wall, if needed.

Personally, I would not buy a used machine with out trying it...or a demo of it somewhere. LA's are like cars...you've got to drive it to see if you like it and if it fits you.

Best of luck with your decision.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

I loved my Liberty, but sold it when I quit quilting for business and kept my Freedom SR (had traded in a Millie). I just wanted the larger throat space and less rolling. The Liberty is a sweet machine, easy to move, great stitch quality and great customer service from APQS.

I never used my lower thread cutter when I owned a Millie, in fact I removed it to lighten up the machine.

I loved my Liberty, but sold it when I quit quilting for business and kept my Freedom SR (had traded in a Millie). I just wanted the larger throat space and less rolling. The Liberty is a sweet machine, easy to move, great stitch quality and great customer service from APQS.

I never used my lower thread cutter when I owned a Millie, in fact I removed it to lighten up the machine.

I have had a Liberty for 6+ yrs. It is a great machine! I also have a Mille. Guess which machine gets more use? Yup, the Liberty. It is a great sweet responsive machine. Mine is on a 14 ft table and I have edgerider wheels.

A ten foot table will limit the size quilts you will be able to do, but you can always upgrade your table. Maybe even find someone who will trade a longer table for your 10 footer.

You don't say where your are located but I am in central NY. You are welcome to come try mine if you are close.

I have had a Liberty for 6+ yrs. It is a great machine! I also have a Mille. Guess which machine gets more use? Yup, the Liberty. It is a great sweet responsive machine. Mine is on a 14 ft table and I have edgerider wheels.

A ten foot table will limit the size quilts you will be able to do, but you can always upgrade your table. Maybe even find someone who will trade a longer table for your 10 footer.

You don't say where your are located but I am in central NY. You are welcome to come try mine if you are close.

Mamu,

I have a Liberty also. Mine is on a 14 foot table and I wish I had a shorter one because I have never done a king sized quilt (I mostly quilt for myself) and I really need the room. Where do you live? I live near Milwaukee, WI and if you are nearby, feel free to come over and check out mine.

Mamu,

I have a Liberty also. Mine is on a 14 foot table and I wish I had a shorter one because I have never done a king sized quilt (I mostly quilt for myself) and I really need the room. Where do you live? I live near Milwaukee, WI and if you are nearby, feel free to come over and check out mine.

I have a 2005 Liberty that I bought in 2008, used. Mine is on an 11 foot table. I tell customers I can only take a top that is no larger than 104 inches, and the backing no larger than 110 inches. I could do an additional inch or two, though.

I have to then "park" my Liberty over the quilt top when I need to turn her off for the evening. To protect the quilt from "possible" oil drips, I slide a piece of plastic between the quilt top and the needle area, so if anything should ever drip, the oil won't get on the quilt.

I have a 2005 Liberty that I bought in 2008, used. Mine is on an 11 foot table. I tell customers I can only take a top that is no larger than 104 inches, and the backing no larger than 110 inches. I could do an additional inch or two, though.

I have to then "park" my Liberty over the quilt top when I need to turn her off for the evening. To protect the quilt from "possible" oil drips, I slide a piece of plastic between the quilt top and the needle area, so if anything should ever drip, the oil won't get on the quilt.

:) I want to thank you all for your input on the Liberty. I live in the North West corner of Montana. I am pretty certain that there are no Liberty owners near me, or at least within a 100mile radius. I would love to test drive one, but it doesn't look like that would be an option. I have quilted on a couple of other long arm machines, Gamill and A-1 ...rented them from quilt shops. I am more convinced that an APQS machine will be a better match for me.

Since I will be mainly quilting for myself, my daughter and a couple of close friends, I am convinced that this machine is the best choice for me. But, I think I will need the 12ft table as I sew alot of King size quilts.

There are a couple of used Liberty's being offered on the 'used machine' section of this forum. So I will check them out.

If any or you know of someone that would like to sell their Liberty machine with a 12' table.... let me know ;)

:) I want to thank you all for your input on the Liberty. I live in the North West corner of Montana. I am pretty certain that there are no Liberty owners near me, or at least within a 100mile radius. I would love to test drive one, but it doesn't look like that would be an option. I have quilted on a couple of other long arm machines, Gamill and A-1 ...rented them from quilt shops. I am more convinced that an APQS machine will be a better match for me.

Since I will be mainly quilting for myself, my daughter and a couple of close friends, I am convinced that this machine is the best choice for me. But, I think I will need the 12ft table as I sew alot of King size quilts.

There are a couple of used Liberty's being offered on the 'used machine' section of this forum. So I will check them out.

If any or you know of someone that would like to sell their Liberty machine with a 12' table.... let me know ;)

Archived