Santa Block of the Month

AHuffman

Really, really nice. How many different colors of thread did you use? Curious, but when you freehanded the blocks did you have to start and stop a lot? I LOVE the freehand designs in the blocks and just wish I had some of that creativity.

Really, really nice. How many different colors of thread did you use? Curious, but when you freehanded the blocks did you have to start and stop a lot? I LOVE the freehand designs in the blocks and just wish I had some of that creativity.

That quilt is so cute.. and wonderfully done...

Angela, where do you order the Glide thread.. and is it the site that had a sample batch on sale?

I was so sure I had it pinned down and now find out I don't..

Job well done!

RitaR

That quilt is so cute.. and wonderfully done...

Angela, where do you order the Glide thread.. and is it the site that had a sample batch on sale?

I was so sure I had it pinned down and now find out I don't..

Job well done!

RitaR

Angela, the quilt and quilting are gorgeous! I have a sampler to do and I was wondering... do you SID around the blocks before quilting them? Would it be acceptable to use a large basting stitch around the block in the sashings that would be removed later? I may decide to do sid but just in case, I wanted your opinion about the basting. Thanks!

Angela, the quilt and quilting are gorgeous! I have a sampler to do and I was wondering... do you SID around the blocks before quilting them? Would it be acceptable to use a large basting stitch around the block in the sashings that would be removed later? I may decide to do sid but just in case, I wanted your opinion about the basting. Thanks!

Thanks so much for all your kind replies!

As for the questions:

Yes, I SID prior to working on each block. Consider SID as putting the bones into the quilt. It needs bones before you start putting on the frills. I also typically use a mono filament thread like MonoPoly for SID in high contrast areas. It is WAY more forgiving. I wouldn't recommend doing it in basting stitch and then ripping. Why create more work for yourself?

I got the Glide thread from Bobbin Central. They have free shipping this month if you order on the weekends. I can't remember what the minimum order is to qualify for this special, however. Just email them. They are very responsive. I don't get their bobbins. They are a bit too pricey for my tastes and I don't have backlash issues with our fabulous APQS L bobbins anyway.

I used a different color threads in each area and looked for ways to keep a continuous line as much as possible. The outer borders and block frames got green thread. The inner border got burgundy. The background in the main body of the quilt and the applique blocks all used cream. The gingerbread men got gold thread and the applique detailing was done with Monopoly. I used Bottom Line in the bobbin in a corresponding color.

I hope that answers all the questions. I'm so glad you like it! My customer was over the moon!

Thanks so much for all your kind replies!

As for the questions:

Yes, I SID prior to working on each block. Consider SID as putting the bones into the quilt. It needs bones before you start putting on the frills. I also typically use a mono filament thread like MonoPoly for SID in high contrast areas. It is WAY more forgiving. I wouldn't recommend doing it in basting stitch and then ripping. Why create more work for yourself?

I got the Glide thread from Bobbin Central. They have free shipping this month if you order on the weekends. I can't remember what the minimum order is to qualify for this special, however. Just email them. They are very responsive. I don't get their bobbins. They are a bit too pricey for my tastes and I don't have backlash issues with our fabulous APQS L bobbins anyway.

I used a different color threads in each area and looked for ways to keep a continuous line as much as possible. The outer borders and block frames got green thread. The inner border got burgundy. The background in the main body of the quilt and the applique blocks all used cream. The gingerbread men got gold thread and the applique detailing was done with Monopoly. I used Bottom Line in the bobbin in a corresponding color.

I hope that answers all the questions. I'm so glad you like it! My customer was over the moon!

Archived