Would you move your busniess out of your home if opportunity called?

Hi Everyone,

Went to a program at out local quilt store last night and talked with another quilt shop owner. This gal is my first Pellon Legacy batting customer and she said the batting is selling well in her store.

Anyways, she has a quilt shop that is taking up 2 fronts (addresses). Another business next to her is going out of business and the landlord told her she could have the store for $500 rent a month. She wants to expand her classroom space there and she asked me is I would like to share the rent for that side and move my long arm out of my house.

I wouldn't deal with fabric, kits etc. I would let that up to her store. This would be entirely for long arming, consultation, possibly selling just wide quilt backing, maybe thread and a place to store my garage full of Legacy batting (now that I'm a distributor!)

Advantages: I could set my own hours and be flexible, free up space in my home, get the freight discount for shipping to a business and not residential and not having to worry about customers (however nice all of mine have been so far) in my home

Disadvantages: The shop is about 30-45 mintues away, my hubby said it would interfere with the kid's activities and plus the minimal amount of rent money per month

I just would like to get other's input and thoughts on this. I told my hubby before I wish I could move this out and keep it separate. Since I've stayed home to do this - no I don't get up at 6AM to work, unless I'm really pressed for time or bored I don't work on weekends and very rarely work in the evenings for family time.

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

Went to a program at out local quilt store last night and talked with another quilt shop owner. This gal is my first Pellon Legacy batting customer and she said the batting is selling well in her store.

Anyways, she has a quilt shop that is taking up 2 fronts (addresses). Another business next to her is going out of business and the landlord told her she could have the store for $500 rent a month. She wants to expand her classroom space there and she asked me is I would like to share the rent for that side and move my long arm out of my house.

I wouldn't deal with fabric, kits etc. I would let that up to her store. This would be entirely for long arming, consultation, possibly selling just wide quilt backing, maybe thread and a place to store my garage full of Legacy batting (now that I'm a distributor!)

Advantages: I could set my own hours and be flexible, free up space in my home, get the freight discount for shipping to a business and not residential and not having to worry about customers (however nice all of mine have been so far) in my home

Disadvantages: The shop is about 30-45 mintues away, my hubby said it would interfere with the kid's activities and plus the minimal amount of rent money per month

I just would like to get other's input and thoughts on this. I told my hubby before I wish I could move this out and keep it separate. Since I've stayed home to do this - no I don't get up at 6AM to work, unless I'm really pressed for time or bored I don't work on weekends and very rarely work in the evenings for family time.

Thanks everyone!

If I found a deal like that I would jump on it fast. You would gain customers just by being a part of her shop. You would not be answering phone calls while quilting that had nothing to do with your business. Also your family would take your business seriously. IMHO

Nora

If I found a deal like that I would jump on it fast. You would gain customers just by being a part of her shop. You would not be answering phone calls while quilting that had nothing to do with your business. Also your family would take your business seriously. IMHO

Nora

I hate commuting. Up to 45 minutes would drive:P:o:P me nuts. I guess the other question is: If you are working any after school hours, do you like the thought of your kids being home alone? You know that will happen sometimes. Since I don't know the age of your kids, it was a thought that popped in to my head. Even when my girls were in HS, I still liked being home when they got there because it we always chatted about their day.

I do understand the positive aspects of this deal. It is tempting.

I hate commuting. Up to 45 minutes would drive:P:o:P me nuts. I guess the other question is: If you are working any after school hours, do you like the thought of your kids being home alone? You know that will happen sometimes. Since I don't know the age of your kids, it was a thought that popped in to my head. Even when my girls were in HS, I still liked being home when they got there because it we always chatted about their day.

I do understand the positive aspects of this deal. It is tempting.

Just some things to think about:

Any extra expenses such as the utilities - who pays - or included with rent?

Insurance? Do you need your own for the liability and your business property at this location? My other career is insurance - I urge you to have your own policy, or at least be listed as additional insured on their policy.

Is there a time she would not want you there? During classes? How early or late? Have that clarified?

How old are your children? Are they old enough to care for themselves if need be?

It sounds like a great deal - but try to have any areas of conflict that could arise, discussed ahead of time.

Just some things to think about:

Any extra expenses such as the utilities - who pays - or included with rent?

Insurance? Do you need your own for the liability and your business property at this location? My other career is insurance - I urge you to have your own policy, or at least be listed as additional insured on their policy.

Is there a time she would not want you there? During classes? How early or late? Have that clarified?

How old are your children? Are they old enough to care for themselves if need be?

It sounds like a great deal - but try to have any areas of conflict that could arise, discussed ahead of time.

I don't think I would do it. I commute about 30 minutes a way for my day job and I would love to have that hour back in my day. In addition to that would you actually qet much quilting time since you'd have people stopping by all the time? Also that would mean others would have accessibilty to your machine and supplies when you aren't there from the way I understand it.

I don't think I would do it. I commute about 30 minutes a way for my day job and I would love to have that hour back in my day. In addition to that would you actually qet much quilting time since you'd have people stopping by all the time? Also that would mean others would have accessibilty to your machine and supplies when you aren't there from the way I understand it.

i dont have a business and dont know anything about running one - but this thought popped into my mind -

will you have your own private LOCKED space or will your LA be out in the open classroom space when you are not there?

i dont have a business and dont know anything about running one - but this thought popped into my mind -

will you have your own private LOCKED space or will your LA be out in the open classroom space when you are not there?

My first thought too is how many people who are curious will pop over to see what you are doing? Will that interrupt your quilting? You may gain a few customers, but will that outweigh the interruptions? I also would not like to spend the time commuting.

I am also very particular about my machine, would anyone be able to get in and just try it out when you aren't there?

Just some things to think about...

My first thought too is how many people who are curious will pop over to see what you are doing? Will that interrupt your quilting? You may gain a few customers, but will that outweigh the interruptions? I also would not like to spend the time commuting.

I am also very particular about my machine, would anyone be able to get in and just try it out when you aren't there?

Just some things to think about...

In the shop I LA at, students complained about the distraction and noise so we stopped LA'ming during class time. Other than that it was great. The machine was owned by the shop owner.

But you need to talk to a good lawyer before going into any joint business venture...more is involved than meets the eye.

Good Luck

Terry

In the shop I LA at, students complained about the distraction and noise so we stopped LA'ming during class time. Other than that it was great. The machine was owned by the shop owner.

But you need to talk to a good lawyer before going into any joint business venture...more is involved than meets the eye.

Good Luck

Terry

I knew a couple of ladies who did something similar and they soon parted ways. One would leave for awhile and ask to other to "watch the store." One would be busy as ask the other to check off the delivery with the salesman. One saw how easy quilting looked and decided to sell machines and quilt also. Just didn't work out like it was at first thought.

I knew a couple of ladies who did something similar and they soon parted ways. One would leave for awhile and ask to other to "watch the store." One would be busy as ask the other to check off the delivery with the salesman. One saw how easy quilting looked and decided to sell machines and quilt also. Just didn't work out like it was at first thought.

The travel time is a bad thing, the rent is a good thing. Depends on how old your kids are and how much running around you do with them.

I too would love a better set up than the one I curently got. My study takes up the living room and the dining room, there are no doors on these rooms and my house is looking less and less like a home :( but I do like the fact that it is part of my home because it is more convienant when raising kids, plus I can quilt late at night. Just wish I had a studio with a door that seperates it from the rest of the house and it would be nice to have a seperate entrance to it as well so my customers don't have to come into the actual house.

The travel time is a bad thing, the rent is a good thing. Depends on how old your kids are and how much running around you do with them.

I too would love a better set up than the one I curently got. My study takes up the living room and the dining room, there are no doors on these rooms and my house is looking less and less like a home :( but I do like the fact that it is part of my home because it is more convienant when raising kids, plus I can quilt late at night. Just wish I had a studio with a door that seperates it from the rest of the house and it would be nice to have a seperate entrance to it as well so my customers don't have to come into the actual house.

How old are the kids? They would be my first priority. The commute would also turn me off. I'd like a nice big space but the commute isn't worth it for me and how much would your rent be? If she isn't charging to get you in make sure you get a long term contract for free!!! Just my 2cents.

How old are the kids? They would be my first priority. The commute would also turn me off. I'd like a nice big space but the commute isn't worth it for me and how much would your rent be? If she isn't charging to get you in make sure you get a long term contract for free!!! Just my 2cents.

Gee thanks everyone for some things that I already knew but forgot and some things that I didn't realize.

It's great to get advice from people who have been there, done that or haven't been there and don't wish to do that! Ha!

I need to ponder some more with the family and the gal who owns the shop. Will let everyone know what I decided so that others can learn!

Thanks again!!

Archived