Has anyone tried this loading system?

Guest Linda S

A few people on another list I frequent bought some. They seem to work okay, but are not without their drawbacks, mainly a bump where the dowels meet. I think Renae Haddadin got a set. I guess it depends on what you're after. Speed? Yep, they work great. Totally flat, no bump quilt? Might need a little extra tweaking.

Linda

Guest Linda S

A few people on another list I frequent bought some. They seem to work okay, but are not without their drawbacks, mainly a bump where the dowels meet. I think Renae Haddadin got a set. I guess it depends on what you're after. Speed? Yep, they work great. Totally flat, no bump quilt? Might need a little extra tweaking.

Linda

Originally posted by newellyn

I just ordered them. Now to wait for the very sloooow UPS to get them cross country.

I have one on the frame now that is going to be there for awhile so I guess the wait won't matter.

What is the price and how long are they??

Thanks, Lynda!!

Originally posted by newellyn

I just ordered them. Now to wait for the very sloooow UPS to get them cross country.

I have one on the frame now that is going to be there for awhile so I guess the wait won't matter.

What is the price and how long are they??

Thanks, Lynda!!

Originally posted by Linda S

Linda

what do you mean exactly by a 'bump'?

Originally posted by Linda S

Linda

what do you mean exactly by a 'bump'?

I noticed on utube that there were no seams that they had along the top or bottom. If you have seams and it's thicker there, I wonder how they hold. I would like to think that it's the best thing since sliced bread but I have my doubts. I'll be waiting for you to give a report Lynda.

Carreen

I noticed on utube that there were no seams that they had along the top or bottom. If you have seams and it's thicker there, I wonder how they hold. I would like to think that it's the best thing since sliced bread but I have my doubts. I'll be waiting for you to give a report Lynda.

Carreen

I am interested as well, however, I don't think I would use them for the top, as it appears that they take more of a bite than the 1/4" that I pin and for the top that would mean that I wouldn't be quilting as close to the edge as I like. But for the backing, they look like they would be super.

I am interested as well, however, I don't think I would use them for the top, as it appears that they take more of a bite than the 1/4" that I pin and for the top that would mean that I wouldn't be quilting as close to the edge as I like. But for the backing, they look like they would be super.

I received the set the other day. I was under the impression that they came with a short leader that the dowels inserted into but not the case. The instructions said to insert the dowels into the 3/4" hem in most leaders, Millie's do not have that hem. I had planned to just sew a set of zippers to the short leader provided sooo back to the drawing board. I had to make trip to Astoria for some canvas. Now I have to make a set of leaders and then go back to plan A and sew my extra zippers to them.

I currently have a very large, I know unusual for me, intricate quilt on the frame that will take awhile to do. I'll have to turn this one for the side borders so before I do that I'll install the new system and try it out.

I'll update as soon as that happens but it will be a bit. At least until after the 4th when the multitudes will be here for the weekend and I'll be cooking:cool:

And-- I'll be able to demonstrate at the Moxie's here in August.

I received the set the other day. I was under the impression that they came with a short leader that the dowels inserted into but not the case. The instructions said to insert the dowels into the 3/4" hem in most leaders, Millie's do not have that hem. I had planned to just sew a set of zippers to the short leader provided sooo back to the drawing board. I had to make trip to Astoria for some canvas. Now I have to make a set of leaders and then go back to plan A and sew my extra zippers to them.

I currently have a very large, I know unusual for me, intricate quilt on the frame that will take awhile to do. I'll have to turn this one for the side borders so before I do that I'll install the new system and try it out.

I'll update as soon as that happens but it will be a bit. At least until after the 4th when the multitudes will be here for the weekend and I'll be cooking:cool:

And-- I'll be able to demonstrate at the Moxie's here in August.

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. You will never find a more helpful group of friends.

Linda, the dowels do not come 12' long. There are actually 3 4' dowels for each leader. They come with little shrink wrap thingies that join them together. You heat them with a hairdryer to shrink them in place.

Still working on my big project so haven't gotten to attach them yet. I'll be out of the studio until next week now.

Have a great 4th everyone.

Archived