So, what's up with QZ users???

Zora

Originally posted by cjtinkle

I have a question on the CH templates, both curved and regular. I haven't used mine yet! I don't venture much into custom quilting, so pardon my "cluelessness". :)

When using the cross hatch templated around a motif for example, when you run into the motif, if you were doing the CH'ing with a ruler, you'd just stitch along in your outline stitching right, until you come to the next CH'in line? But with the templates, how you do this? Turn off the SR, carefully lift the stlyus, move the whole contraption to take a few stitches, move it back, rinse and repeat?

i left the SR on & traced the stitch line of the motif til i felt it hit the next groove.

would it be better to turn off the SR? if so, why?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay...I bit, too! haven't tried the swag border yet, but I've got it -thanks, Heidi...now quit talking about expensive toys! I'm easy!

My 1/4" CH seems to have a few rough spots that throw me off, I'll talk to Adam -but I LOVE it...

a question about the curved CH...seems like there's a fair amount of space that doesn't get CH'd...know what I mean? should the template then be lowered and keep on stitching? clear as mud? I wouldn't doubt it!

I've got a 14' table...haven't tried this yet...just playing around...but can you actually do a swag out to the end of say a 12' quilt or whatever?

I've still got to figure out the spiralgraph, but I really think there's hope for me!

okay...I bit, too! haven't tried the swag border yet, but I've got it -thanks, Heidi...now quit talking about expensive toys! I'm easy!

My 1/4" CH seems to have a few rough spots that throw me off, I'll talk to Adam -but I LOVE it...

a question about the curved CH...seems like there's a fair amount of space that doesn't get CH'd...know what I mean? should the template then be lowered and keep on stitching? clear as mud? I wouldn't doubt it!

I've got a 14' table...haven't tried this yet...just playing around...but can you actually do a swag out to the end of say a 12' quilt or whatever?

I've still got to figure out the spiralgraph, but I really think there's hope for me!

Rita,

I don't usnderstand what you're saying about the curved CH. Is the stylus not staying engaged? If that is what you are saying just screw it down a little more. If not I need more details.

You can do the swag out very far. You might need to stitch one and then move the template to get going but you should be able to do a pretty wide quilt. I just did one that was 115" wide with no problem.

Rita,

I don't usnderstand what you're saying about the curved CH. Is the stylus not staying engaged? If that is what you are saying just screw it down a little more. If not I need more details.

You can do the swag out very far. You might need to stitch one and then move the template to get going but you should be able to do a pretty wide quilt. I just did one that was 115" wide with no problem.

Thank you Heidi! I will have to try that!

Originally posted by hmerrill

CJ,

I just lift the stylus and stich along like I normally would and then continue to the next line. You don't have to lift it very high and you will feel it when you hit the tip. with some practice you'll know when you've gone the 1/4" and should be hitting the next groove. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you Heidi! I will have to try that!

Originally posted by hmerrill

CJ,

I just lift the stylus and stich along like I normally would and then continue to the next line. You don't have to lift it very high and you will feel it when you hit the tip. with some practice you'll know when you've gone the 1/4" and should be hitting the next groove. I hope that makes sense.

I didn't get to the show, though I'm using my QZ a lot. Activity with QZ is as follows on one quilt.

Ive been working on a QoV.. swag borders, QZ double circle in large, plain blocks, used the heart template, eccentric circle tool, was using an oval ruler , small end to make line dance arcs, when the tri-arcs came in, they were so close to exact same size I switched and cant tell where. Having some fun, for sure..

RitaR

I didn't get to the show, though I'm using my QZ a lot. Activity with QZ is as follows on one quilt.

Ive been working on a QoV.. swag borders, QZ double circle in large, plain blocks, used the heart template, eccentric circle tool, was using an oval ruler , small end to make line dance arcs, when the tri-arcs came in, they were so close to exact same size I switched and cant tell where. Having some fun, for sure..

RitaR

okay, Heidi...regarding the curved CH...it WAS clear as mud! I'll try to be more clear...when you stitch it totally out, the lines only really disect toward the top/bottom...leaving basically curves in the middle...does that make more sense? I was wondering if the template should be repositioned to disect in the middle...thanks! Rita

okay, Heidi...regarding the curved CH...it WAS clear as mud! I'll try to be more clear...when you stitch it totally out, the lines only really disect toward the top/bottom...leaving basically curves in the middle...does that make more sense? I was wondering if the template should be repositioned to disect in the middle...thanks! Rita

Rita,

Let's say you are doing a square. What I do is turn the curved CH template on a 45 degree angle and center the block. Now stitch back and forth until you have the square filled. Now turn your board 90 degrees and you will go the other direction. You should have evenly spaced kind of diamond looking shapes filling the space. Take a picture for me and show me what your wanting to change. I'm hoping to use this template on my next quilt. In my mind it works now I have to see it will actually work on the quilt! LOL.

Rita,

Let's say you are doing a square. What I do is turn the curved CH template on a 45 degree angle and center the block. Now stitch back and forth until you have the square filled. Now turn your board 90 degrees and you will go the other direction. You should have evenly spaced kind of diamond looking shapes filling the space. Take a picture for me and show me what your wanting to change. I'm hoping to use this template on my next quilt. In my mind it works now I have to see it will actually work on the quilt! LOL.

Archived